“Truly a Haven!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 135 Colombo B&B and Inns
Gold Coast, Australia
“Truly a Haven!”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

An idyllic little haven centrally located but tucked neatly away from the hustle on Galle Road. In all honesty I never slept better or ate better in my entire Sri Lankan stay! The staff were unbelievably kind and accommodating and made myself & family feel welcome from the get go.

Every morning we were awoken by incredible scents drifting from the kitchen and left with our tongues salivating by the amazing feast awaiting us. The food a mixture of traditional and western options (for the kids) was simply incredible. Specifically the Modha fish curry; the most exquisite thing my taste buds have encountered.

We were travelling with small children and found the staff most hospitable. The girls still won’t stop talking about how they miss their friend John! All in all, my experience at Colombo Haven was so delightful and relaxing. John, his wife and the other staff were so gorgeous and made us so comfortable, I cannot fault a single thing about our stay. I would recommend this B & B to any sort of traveller and assure you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear MimiB2012,
Thanks so much for your kind and detailed review. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of you as well. It was our absolute pleasure to have had the opportunity to be of service to you guys, specially the little ones. Can't wait for the next time you are in town.

Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was travelling on my own to begin with and decided on this B & B. I couldn't believe my luck with such friendly staff. John in particular told me about this restaurant across the road called Dosa King. at first I was apprehensive but went anyway and had probably one of the best and authentic experiences of my whole 10 day trip of Sri Lanka. The staff were gorgeous and the curry was fantastic and cheap. The breakfast at Colombo Haven was outstanding and have never seen so much food in my life. My room was very clean and comfortable although if staying a few days I would want one of the upstairs rooms. This B & B is very close to walk to Galle Face green which in the afternoons at sunset is just amazing to watch all the activity and of course the sunset. Thank you Colombo Haven for a great start to my impressions of Sri Lankan hospitality!

Room Tip: Walk to Galle Face Green at sunset you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear QueenslandRoz,
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. John and his team thoroughly enjoyed hosting you. We are very happy you enjoyed our breakfast, which is our pleasure to serve. Glad you had a good experience at the Dosa king as well. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who want a local Dosa experience, it is definitely something to try.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Melbourne
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Handily positioned on Galle road with easy access to transport. We stayed nine days here and cannot fault the service, the breakfasts were delicious and the staff extremely helpful.
However our stay was a little uncomfortable with all the renovations going on in this building at the time, there was no clock on/off time and the noisy and dusty work went on till the late hours and early the next morning. We had booked and paid in full for a tour into the interior through the Manager of this establishment but found the booking to be not what we paid for, and we had to argue our case and prove to the hotels with confirmation of emails etc. This has left us with some bad memories of an otherwise what would have been a perfect holiday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie L
Dear Marie L,
Thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear about your troubles with the tour. Sometimes, hotels do make mistakes with the type of room requested, but I believe it was sorted out when my manager contacted their head office.

I know that you appreciated the fact that my manager was able to negotiate a late checkout from your second hotel for no extra charge even though it was the high season and your plans changed at the last minute. You can also vouch for the fact that we gave you the best rates possible for these hotels. We also provided you with a late model car for the tour and I believe you appreciated all that. Thanks also for mentioning how well you were looked after when you were at Colombo Haven.

All that said, there were also some areas for improvement, specially around communication which could have been handled better, for which I apologise. As I mentioned when I spoke to the two of you over the phone, we would do our best to improve on our communication so that small issues don't get blown out of proportion on all sides and sour an experience, in your own words, would have otherwise been perfect.

Bristol
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed here for my first night in Sri Lanka. Clean and comfortable room (the shower cubicle has to be seen to be believed!) and amazing Sri Lankan breakfast. Staff very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear ukulelemaybe,
Thank you very much for your review. We enjoy cooking the breakfast for you and it brings great satisfaction when our guests enjoy it as much. It was our pleasure hosting you and look forward to the next time.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Colombo Haven was literally a haven in Colombo. The rooms were gorgeous, the people were charming and so helpful, and the food was delicious! John was so helpful in every way and the two women who made us breakfast every morning were always smiling and started our days off perfectly. It is tucked away behind an ice cream parlour and none of the tuk tuk drivers knew where it was, but they offer a driver from the air port and are extremely helpful with directions if you call.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MarkandSteph,
Thanks for your very kind review. John, Shymali and team enjoyed hosting you and thoroughly enjoyed both your company. We look forward to your next trip to the island.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Colombo haven is handily positioned behind 'Carnival' ice cream parlour on Galle Road. It was an easy walk down to Galle Face Green and the beach, we also walked to the shops and Museum, but Tuk Tuk's were readily available everywhere!
the room was clean and had lovely art on the walls. The bathroom was really well appointed and the shower was really powerful. Breakfast here was immense!!! Our hosts were fantastic and so so helpful! They arranged our airport pick up and drop off and helped us out with everything else too!
We loved it so much we stayed on arrival and departure from Sri Lanka!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Elliegater,
Thanks for your kind review. John and Shymali enjoyed hosting you and look forward to the next time you are in town.

nashville
Reviewed March 19, 2012

John and Shyamali reflect the most wonderful aspects Sri Lankan warmth and hospitality. My stay with them was really lovely and they went out of their way to make me feel at home - including inviting me to a scrumptious meal on my last night in the city. Colombo is notoriously overpriced and I am extremely pleased to find a comfortable, clean and reasonably priced place to stay in an excellent location (down the street from Galle Face Green) - as I visit Sri Lanka multiple times a year for work. I look forward to staying with them again. And thank you to John (who is also a very skilled artist) for the beautiful painting that is now hanging in my office!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Amanda C,
Thanks for your kind review. John and Shyamali thoroughly enjoyed hosting you as well. John is very glad to hear that his painting is up on your wall. We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in town.