“excellent location”

Galle Face Hotel Colombo
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I must say, after a very bad start with them, where they didnt have the rooms for us, when we reached, everything was better.

The location is excellent, the service is decent, so are the rooms.

However, when i visited, the hotel was under renovation, thus only a part of it was accessible.

Food isnt that great, would recommend walking down to the other hotels close by for that.

Though they have it is a novelty, the salt water pool, just wasnt for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Galle Face Hotel Colombo

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with a very late check-in. They put me in a room with ocean view that was so noisy I could not sleep. I had to request another room in the middle of my very short night. I ended up in a quieter room but with a beautiful view to the roof ... I tried the pretty badly organised spa (had to wait a good 15 mins to find out if they could give me an appointment) and I regret it : useless deep tissue massage. I wasted usd60 for an hour. The buffet breakfast is good. The swimming pool is great, by the ocean. The front desk service is pretty poor : they refused to book a cab for me and handed me over a tel no : so sad in this hotel category !

Room Tip: Request for a quiet room
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank franckbart
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
I would like to assure you that you have not experienced us at our best and that the problems you encountered are not the norm.
We regret the inconvenience caused and assure you that everything will be done to avoid a recurrence of these events.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days during an event I attended in Colombo. I have only good things to say about the experience. Great rooms conditions, friendly staff that goes out of their way to assist you, and amazing breakfast, with fresh fruit juices made on request. Half of the hotel is being remodelled but that hasn't definitely impacted my stay or the good experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank marciobarcelos
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at a suite at Galle face hotel for two nights. These suits were very well decorated to suit the theme.
The rooms and bathroom was very spacious and clean. The view from the room was amazing, overlooking the sea.
However when people walk on the corridor at night time, it was very loud and freaky..
The breakfast spread was amazing. They had both sri Lankan traditional food and western food.
We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2014

the road into the hotel is not at all new or tidy, relatively clean. This sea facing historic hotel, came alive when you walk into the lobby. very polite staffs.
amazing hotel toilet is as big as the room. The LCD needs an update, other than that is fine.
pool view is great, with nothing next door and hope won't get crowded any time soon.
Once the renovation is completed, its even better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Galle Face Hotel in Colombo is a historical hotel built in 1864. It's story writes like a script from a classic movie. I recommend at least a one night stay. Sitting on the huge wraparound veranda having a cocktail and enjoying the sunset over the ocean is a great pleasure and bring memories of bygone eras. The rooms are small but very comfortable and contain everything you need. The baths are new and modern. I had room #3018 which is on the third floor and has an ocean view. The staff is exceptional and very friendly and the food is excellent. Room service is very prompt and the menu is extensive. I would definitely return to this hotel - I loved the old world charm and ambiance. It is also convenient to walk around the area and see the sights.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights before a cycle tour and 1 night on return. The rooms are a reasonable size, fittings etc are quite old but overall the hotel is a lovely colonial style hotel which is on the waterfront. The service in the hotel is relatively good with the staff acknowledging you and attending to yourneeds fairly promptly EXCEPT for the pool area where the service is abyssmal. We counted 6-7 staff standing around all the time with not many patrons, and nobody came near us. We had to go up and ask for service as I saw all other guests having to do. Happened every day we were there. We taking bets in the end to see how long it would take to get someone to come. You are losing money hotel owners if you care about this. Service in the spa also average by manager put a female in charge, the girls were great.

Room Tip: Eat and drink before you go to the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with our service at The Pool Bar.

We appreciate the time and effort you have taken to inform us of your experience. Guests such as yourself enable us to maintain the high standards of service expected of us.

Yours sincerely,