“4 star hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Sydney, Australia
“4 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

great old charm hotel very close to the Indian Ocean beach , with. Great friendly service and good food and beverage service,
Very large rooms with antique fittings that still have the colonial charm
Over all a great place to stay
now refurbished hotel withs lots of modern facalaties

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side are close to the beach
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed here for a conference with my little boy. The pool is great, the staff are nice and the location is central. Perhaps a bit overpriced for what you get (hotel a bit ramshackle in places), but a good stay all in all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

The staff, from management to the bell boy were very friendly/helpful/polite & courteous, they just couldn't do enough for you. The hotel car management were also friendly staff, who assisted us when it came to sight seeing trips around Colombo.

The food was delicious & to one's taste with very attentive dinning room staff. The buffets were glorious.

All in all we enjoyed our stay with the Galle Face Hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a corner suite, or one that has a view facing the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 369Randy44
Greystones, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

We arrived in Sri Lanka for an eight day tour and started in the Galle Face Hotel. As it was the first night of our honeymoon, the hotel upgraded us to Room 1008 - an amazing suite with a private balcony and both an indoor and outdoor jacuzzi.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was a great introduction to Sri Lankan cuisine. The staff were very attentive and friendly.

We wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We were at the hotel for the Easter break with my wife and two kids. We had a lovely suite just in front if the sea. The hotel is an heritage property. One wing of the hotel us under renovation but it is not disturbing the stay. Near hotel there is a great place to run by the seaside. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would just to stay in Colombo for max 2 days. There is not too much to see.

Stayed April 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I came here with my wife. I booked through booking.com and had changed the date with booking.com which was approved and authorized over the phone as well as through email. When we arrived the hotel kept advising that we didn't show for our booking and would have to rebook (repay) for another stay. Even after showing them the confirmation we had to wait 45 minutes in the lobby for them to sort it out.

We were leaving that night late for our flight I wanted to bring my wife to show her some colonial old style buildings in Colombo and for her to have high tea. Because of the renovations the hotel didn't have high tea. I wasn't impressed with the confusion and delay and lack of information for missing services due to the renos so I asked the manager to cancel my reservation and I'll go elsewhere, he said he couldn't cancel the booking and said he was already doing a Favor for not charging for the no show date, which in fact was no favor at all as booking.com authorized the change and was fine with it.

We decided to stay as they were going to charge us anyways and when we went to dine at the beachside restaurant took me asking a waiter to order after 30 mins of sitting there to order food and another 45 minutes to get our simple order of 2 burgers.

The rooms in the hotel were beautiful with nice beds and wonderful hot high pressure showers but the service was totally lackluster. I've had better at a 3 star hotel in Toronto where I live. If I were you I'd avoid. Big name lots of history but bad service.

Stayed January 2014
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with the terms and conditions of Booking.com. Please understand our difficulty, we have an agreement with Booking.com and we must follow its terms and conditions. You may write to them separately to let them have your views with regards to flexibility for cancellations.

Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for renovation; and this has been communicated to our travel agents and corporate accounts. A notice has been posted in the Hotel’s website and Booking.com website for the general public.

Please accept our apologies for the slow service that you experience in our Pool Bar.
Your experience certainly does not in any way represent the quality of standards we strive for, and indeed customarily maintain at our Hotel.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations
Plymouth UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was recommended to stay at the Galle Face hotel which is on the seafront in central Colombo for a recent visit to Sri Lanka where I was working for a week as the external examiner for some postgraduate exams.
I like historic hotels rather than ones which could be anywhere in the world, so liked the sound of this hotel which has been open for over 100 years.
Initially the website for the hotel would not accept any bookings, so I emailed the reservation manager and requested a seafront room for my stay. This was confirmed by return of email with my ccard details.
On my arrival at the airport one of their drivers (who had been arranged to pick me up) was waiting for me and drove me to the hotel (takes about 30 minutes unless the centre of Colombo is congested). As we approached the hotel I realised that most of the hotel was a shell/building site and the pictures on the website of the public areas which seemed so attractive would not be available.
When I arrived the reservation team were helpful with a welcome drink. Sadly the room I was showed to was next door to the wing being re-built and also the room on the other side to me was being renovated. Also my room had a central bath as the centre piece of the room, but the room had a musty bad plumbing smell. As this is a mosquito area I did not want to open the windows so put up with it for the first day.
However after a long day at work I got back to my room on the second evening only to be deafened by the noise of the floor sander next door. They were still working at 7.30pm by which stage I requested a room change.
I was transferred to a much nicer, cleaner, brighter and quiet room for the rest of my stay and I would request this room again if I return (room 3008 or 308, sorry I can't remember).
As the facilities were very restricted the choice of food was not good especially as I like to eat local rather than western food, and by day 3 I had eaten all the options of Sri Lankan food at least once. The bar doubled up as the breakfast room and evening restaurant. Some of the breakfast was disappointing. The orange juice was not real OJ but a sunny D type drink. Also the tea came with boiling full fat milk which is horrible. The choice of western breakfast bits were not very good but the local curries and other breakfast food eaten locally were nice.
The view from the pool was lovely with the noise of breaking waves in the background. The pool bar was good with food and drink options and helpful staff.
I would encourage anyone visiting to explore outside the hospital and walking along the seafront promenade to the old Dutch hospital which now has some shops, restaurants and bars in is a great place to eat and drink. It is interesting to see local families enjoying the seafront in the evening and people are polite and friendly. I tried some of the street food here one evening which was yummy, and had no bowel problems during the whole of my stay.
Roads in Colombo and the rest of Sri Lanka are chaotic and scary, with motorbikes, lorries and tut tuts cutting up each other.
Beware when you leave the hotel you will be curb crawled by Tut tuts trying to get your trade, however unless they are metered or you agree a price before you start your journey, there are tales of westerners being royally ripped off. I would also beware of touts who will try to befriend you as you walk down the street and not take no for an answer when you don't go to their shop. I was a female travelling on my own, and as I was aware of these issues I was fine, you just have to be polite but firm. It also helped that I was taller than most of the Sri Lankan men!
Another thing to be aware of is the hotel transport team are not cheap, so transfer to and from the airport etc. will cost a lot more than a local metered taxi.
I would only stay at the hotel again once all the renovations are complete. I feel I was short changed by this issue during my stay as the facilities were very limited and the noise of the building work very disturbing when I needed to work at the hotel in the evenings.
However as long as the renovations keep some of its colonial charm, I would like to see it when it is fully back to its glory.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with finding our Hotel under renovation.
Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for restoration; and this has been communicated to our travel agents and corporate accounts. A notice has been posted in the Hotel’s website for the general public.

Yours sincerely,