TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Personal friendly efficient service at its best

I can't recommend Columbus Tours enough if you require a tailored tour of Sri Lanka. They have a... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Gillian K
Kent, United Kingdom
Amazing trip, with the best Drivers and Guide.

I have just came back from a business trip and I can not recommend Columbus Tours enough... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
littledevil85
everywhere

All reviews an absolute credit holiday of a lifetime visiting sri lanka our honeymoon yala national park beautiful country colombus highlights knowledge elephants accommodation tourists guide company airport itinerary
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

We booked our honeymoon through Travel Counsellors in the UK who were working with Colombus Tours in Sri Lanka to arrange the ultimate tour and honeymoon

Our guide was Chanaka and he was very welcoming from the moment we arrived in Colombo Airport, nothing was too much trouble and he seemed to know everything and everyone in Sri Lanka - he was a fantastic guide nothing was too much trouble and his number 1 priority was ensuring we were happy and safe!

As for Sri Lanka, our tour consisted of 10 days sight seeing and travelling ending in 4 days resting on the East Coast - What a wonderful country, there's no hiding away from the fact it's been affected by the Easter attacks with tourism quiet at the moment but the people in Sri Lanka are extremely welcoming and warming and very keen to change this perception from tourists.

The sites/safaris/food/culture/tea plantations of Sri Lanka are incredible, Chanaka took us to some hidden gems and was always making sure we had the VIP treatment.

For me the service that was provided by Colombous Tours for our trip to Sri Lanka was faultless and the itinerary put together by them and Travel Counsellors was exactly what we wanted from our honeymoon, incredible from start to finish and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the company or Sri Lanka as a travel destination.

3  Thank markw032015
columbustours, Guest Relations Manager at Columbus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2019

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for this positive and detailed feedback. We are thrilled you had such a flawless holiday and will be sure to pass on the wonderful feedback to Chanaka.

Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

I would like to thank our guide Priyal for making our trip to Sri Lanka so brilliant. He was friendly, funny and always happy, even after a whole week with me and my family! We visited so many amazing places and Priyal was very knowledgeable about all the places we visited. Our holiday was organized well. We visited so many amazing places and Priyal knew the best times to visit them. We ate at some restaurants that we would never have found on our own. The car we had for our trip was comfortable. I have no negative things to say about our time in Sri Lanka or Columbus Tours, everything was spot on. Our trip was made so much better because we had Priyal with us, he made the whole thing worth every penny. Thankyou for a great experience!

3  Thank NicolaB4444

Dear Nicolas,

Many thanks for this lovely review. We will share your feedback with Priyal too!

Reviewed August 27, 2019

We booked a tour in Sri Lanka with our Dutch friends and a Dutch tour operator. This organization worked together with Columbus Tours. It was an excellent choice. The tour was well prepared and we saw many highlights. But the highlight of the whole tour was our guide Ananda Gamage. He was top, always extremely friendly, good driver, told us the history of the country. He became a good friend.
I would make the train trip shorter and if possible (which is not easy because our stay lasted only 8 days) I would like to spend a whole day at the beach.

Date of experience: October 2018
4  Thank Marc12011952

Dear Marc,

We loved having you and your friends in Sri Lanka and only hope you'll spend more time, next time!

Many thanks

Reviewed August 26, 2019

We visited Sri Lanka for 8 days in August and had an amazing time. Our driver from Colombus Tours, Priyal was amazing! He greeted us at the airport and drove us around from the start of our holiday to the end. He had a great sense of humour and was always happy, laughing and joking. He had so much knowledge of everywhere and took us to some amazing places for lunch we'd never have known about or found.
During our visit to sri lanka we stayed in 6 hotels, travelling from colombo to sigiriya, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya and Hikkaduwa and somewhere in between. We visited Sigiriya Rock and climbed all the way to the top, went on a safari in Minneriya and saw so many elephants which was amazing!! I didn't expect to see so many and watched them for hours!
We visited Polonnarwua ancient city and saw a lot of Buddhists listening to a preacher which we walked through to get to the biggest temple.
Our guide took us to a local village where we rode on a cart pulled by ox, rode on a catamaran which I got to row for a bit before I got tired, and made food in their little kitchen and drank coconut water, climbed the farmers tree house where he keeps watch for elephants in the night! They were lovely people and I really enjoyed learning about their simple way of life (again we had to tip them for almost everything).
We visited Dambulla cave temples and then watched a traditional dance group in the evening in Kandy where the men are fire and walked through fire! They invited us for photos with them at the end but again wanted tipping for the privilege! Nothing is for free in Sri Lanka!
We visited temple of the Tooth in the morning super early so we could see the casket with the tooth but felt quite out of place bieng the only westerners in a see of Buddhists! It's a beautiful building though and has lots of history. We went to a gem museum, word carving shop, a sari shop (I tried on a sari). The only downside to all the shops and places like this is that the owners follow you around and try and pressure you to buy things you can't just look around without people pushing you to buy. We also had a stroll round the Botanical gardens (more for my mum and sisters benefit as they like plants, I just took lots of pictures of me doing silly things).
We then went to Horton Plains and walked 9km through beautiful mountains! It was cold and rainy up here but the views were incredible. After a lengthy drive we visited the Elephant Transit home in Uda Walawe which is home to baby elephants who have been rescued as they've lost their mother's. We watched them at feeding time when they come out for milk and they bought the tiniest one out first so he could get some milk and it was the cutest thing ever! Then about 60 more followed! It was very cute to watch but was a little sad as you know they should be with family but they don't have any. They do get released into the wild when they're grown and able to look after themselves.
The following day we got up super early again to visit Yala National Park where we were lucky enough to see a Bear, crocodiles, elephants, wild boar, deer, buffalo, monkeys and we caught the tail end of the elusive leopard but not enough to get a picture.
We visited a turtle hatchery which looked like the worst aquarium ever at first glance but when you read what they do it makes you feel better and all the turtles have been rescued by fisherman and are missing a limb or something so they have to learn to dive again before they're released back into the wild.
We attempted a whale watching tour but I spent the whole way being sick as the weather was hurrendous and the sea so choppy! We didn't see any whales!
All in all we have had an amazing time in Sri Lanka and squeezed as much as we could into a short space of time and visited some amazing places. Our driver Priyal made the trip more than we could have imagined and I thank him so much for everything! I've attached some of the thousands of photos I've taken over the trip to show some highlights but there were so many to choose from! I would definitely recommend visiting Sri Lanka with Colombus Tours, they were amazing from start to finish (although I write this while still in Sri Lanka after a delayed flight of nearly 24 hours...) so we technically haven't finished yet!!
Advice to anyone wanting to go; be prepared for a lot of driving if you want to see everything, the amount of dogs on the side of the road is very sad for an animal lover as most are scabby and injured and I just wanted to take them all home, bring plenty of extra money for tipping everyone, from the bell boys at the hotel, the cleaners, the jeep drivers, the village people and even the old man near the train which we just wanted to take a picture of a moving train and he wanted money because he lived nearby! It's a beautiful country and the food was absolutely incredible! Be prepared to eat curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner (not that I'm complaining as its so good). We loved our trip! Thank you x

4  Thank Katy B
columbustours, Guest Relations Manager at Columbus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2019

Dear Katy,

we're thrilled to hear such positive feedback about your overall trip and the experience with Priyal - he certainly is a gem of a guide and chauffeur and we'll make sure to share this feedback with him.

We do regret that you didn't have the best experiences in the local shops - this past year has been a tough one on tourism, and shop owners and staff have a tendency to overdo it in an attempt to be extra helpful and thus getting whatever sales they can - we will however make it a point to share this feedback with the particular shop. Thank you again for the positive comments and sharing your experience of Sri Lanka!

Reviewed August 19, 2019

My wife & I together with my cousin and his wife have just returned from a 3.5 weeks holiday in Sri Lanka organised for us by Columbus Tours in Sri Lanka. It is our pleasure and bounded duty to express sincere thanks to Bobby Jordan Hansen, Owner Vin Bartholameusz, Sales Manager & Priyal our ever helpful and friendly Driver. Words cannot express our thanks to them, for all their help in organising such a memorable holiday for us. Every detail of our holiday was perfectly organised, and we were well looked after, from beginning to the end. One could not ever imagine that after the recent bombings, that we would experience such a peaceful and worry free holiday. There was no evidence whatsoever, of any threat of violence, in fact it is quite the opposite. Right now is the time to visit Sri Lanka and make full use of the discounts being offered for what is fantastic hotel accommodation, delicious Sri Lankan food, and of course the wonderful helpful and friendly people of Sri Lanka.
We have travelled quite extensively around the world, but a Sri Lanka holiday is always worth serious consideration. Thanks again to Columbus Tours for a fantastic and memorable holiday.

Date of experience: July 2019