There is something about this hotel that is simply PERFECT. From the minute you pull up to this elegant manor house--a former residence of a past Sri Lankan Prime Minister--you feel like you've just been welcomed into someone's lovely country estate home. There's complete privacy and warmth about this place that is so utterly inviting. Glistening crystal chandeliers, gargantuan moss topiaries, Grecian urns on the garden terrace, and an ultra chic leather-clad library lend an aristocratic feel that blends in effortlessly with antique Chinese lacquer cabinets, old Sri Lankan photographs, decorative displays of vintage tea bags, and lots of abstract paintings by local artists. It's a perfect balance of elegance and ethnicity, colonial era charm and grandeur, but still maintaining the fresh look and appeal of a modern boutique hotel. Shanth Fernando is the mastermind behind all the Paradise Road ventures including a restaurant/bar/cafe, boutique art gallery, gift shop, and two lovely hotels in Sri Lanka (Tintagel and Villa Bentota). We met him briefly and I can only describe him as "ultra cool".
Besides the notable decor of Tintagel, there are a few things I really like about this place...
1) First, the handsoap, shower gel, and lotions are divine. Candles bearing the same scent can be purchased at the Paradise Road gift shop next to the Gallery Cafe. You can take the hotel tuk-tuk to get there, it's fun! Other great finds at the shop did not esacape our attention, and needless to say, my friend and I each toted over 10kg of booty in our hand luggage on the return flight!
2) The bathrooms are fully equipped with modern fixtures and feature lovely aqua blue or olive green tiles. Even the artwork in each bathroom (ours was a charcoal drawing but some have sculptures) make the most unagreeable bathroom visit so much more pleasant. There's even a scale...to weigh your luggage of course!
3) Every room has a ceiling fan, canopy bed, mosquito netting, LCD TV, minibar, safebox, and some come with private terraces which is a big plus if you're a smoker. Ultra comfy beds and fabulous linens make naps a real treat. The hotel also has a small swimming pool, gym, steamroom, and massage room--none of which are too exciting--plus a private dining room upstairs that is perfect for hosting a dinner event or a conference.
4) Wifi throughout the hotel, and an assortment of games and books downstairs in the library will keep you busy if you're bored.
5) We dined nearly every meal at the hotel including lunch at the restaurant, breakfast and dinners on the garden terrace, and coffee in the bar (there's no liquor license yet so the bar is just a cafe, but we are told it's coming soon). Western and Sri Lankan fare is available, so try both if you can!
6) And finally the staff...we couldn't be more pleased as they attended to our every need. From introducing the history of the hotel to turning down our beds and providing us with an extra late checkout, we were extremely happy with the wonderfully unintrusive service that the hotel offers. One of the managers, Jeremy, was such an interesting character and so terrifically helpful that we wish we could have spent more time with him.
It's no surprise that the Tintagel wins the highest accolades of its reviewers! Well done! We hope to return again soon...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tintagel is a unique and private hotel, situated in the heart of Colombo's most elite neighborhood. Offering 10 individually designed suites with all modern amenities and services, Tintagel is housed in a stunning heritage structure of national importance that was previously home to three of Sri Lanka's political leaders. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo Hotel Colombo