“A Slice of Heaven In Colombo Madness”

Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Traralgon
“A Slice of Heaven In Colombo Madness”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

From the moment you drive in, it's an "oh wow" feeling. Beautiful courtyard, beautiful facade & entrance. The decor is warm and welcoming, and instead of the sickly sweet orange cordial that every other hotel in Sri Lanka doles out to guests on arrival, a refreshing ginger tea. We had the West Room, with it's own balcony, which we used often. Being a boutique hotel, there are only a limited number of rooms (7 or 8?), and the place is sooo quiet! Had a dip in the pool, used the gym a few times, ate in the restaurant. Odel shopping centre is a short walk away. Set in a quiet area of Colombo, this place is a MUST! Forget the bigger hotel chains, the attentiveness of the staff, the ambience, the location make it all worthwhile. Put the Tintagel on the top of your list :)

Room Tip: West room, with private balcony, great place to sit in the evenings
3 Thank orchTraralgon
Anton P, Manager at Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I appreciate your time in commenting on Tintagel Colombo. It is always a pleasure to hear our guests’ thoughts and insights.

Our homemade ginger beer is certainly one of the favorites among our guests, I’m glad you enjoyed it too.

We take great pride in serving our guests and it’s a delight to know that we have done well.
We do hope to serve you again in the near future.

All the best!

Anton peiris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I really can not fault Paradise Road Tintagel at all. I never would have expected such a chic boutique hotel in Colombo - it supersedes places I've stayed in Paris, Milan and Rome. This is one of those boutique hotels that could appear in World Of Interiors, the Wallpaper* guides or any number of sophisticated publications.

Staff and manager were an absolute delight. And it's absolutely true, the Sri Lankan smile knocks your socks off.

So much attention to detail, and so much perfection.

I would say this is a boutique for the more sophisticated palate. It's not a family hotel. It's not for the beach crowd looking for a bargain and an all-you-can-eat buffet. This is a fashion, interiors, VOGUE crowd, type of establishment. If shopping on Bond Street, Madison Avenue or Omotesando-dori is not for you, then this chic bolt-hole will not appeal.

I'm going to make one small gripe ...well, there has to be one. The food was excellent, and a great delicious selection. But what let 'some' of it down was that it came to the table lukewarm which totally spoils an excellent dish.

I don't know if I'll ever return to Sri Lanka, but I can tell you that if I do, the first booking I'll make is with Paradise Road again. I won't confirm flights or any details until I know I have a room here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Serial_Traveller
Thank you so much for your time in reviewing Tintagel Colombo.

It was truly a pleasure reading your fantastic review and the team felt the same when I shared your wonderful comments with them.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. Such kind comments keep us smiling.

I would like to apologize in regard to the comment about the food. I can assure you that we will do everything to ensure that this will not be repeated.

I do hope you visit Sri Lanka again in the near future to have you with us once more.

Anton Peiris
Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo
Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were looking forward to Tintagel as it is an historic house in apparently a good area of Colombo. Yes, it is an historic house and we suppose the area is nice - we walked around and it was okay. There is an Odel department store, shops, the Park and Museum etc nearby - so there are things to do within an easy walk (it was raining while we we there so that stopped us). The house is laid out with a drive-way, entrance area leading to the restaurant and through to the ground-level pool which is in a very public space and has no privacy. There are two small rooms for reading.

Our room was on the ground floor past the pool and kitchen but was quiet. The room was very large with three separate areas - a living area, a bedroom and then a large bathroom. Water pressure in the shower was very low. There was a small plunge pool outside the living area. The furniture and decor were quite nice. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were dreadful - hard and unable to be moulded. There is certainly enough space to spread out. TV was ok. Wifi was stable and quite strong.

So what was disappointing?

Firstly, the house has been leased by the Paradise Road company which has a brand of homewares/decorating, cafe and other hotels. That is okay but there didn't seem to be much attention given to service and the hotel business - it seemed more of a marketing opportunity for the Paradise Road brand. It just seemed to us to be high on the superficial look of the place but not on the details that a guest wants to be comfortable.

Secondly, the food was not good (we had 2 dinners, one lunch and breakfast for convenience and admittedly in the hope that it improved, the weather was inclement and we were on the last 2 days of our trip). The fish and duck were overcooked, the portions were on the small size and overall we couldn't see what the fuss was about. Non Sr Lankan food is generally not done well in Sri Lanka and this was no exception. Nevertheless, on our second night the restaurant was full and was (we supposed) a place to be seen - so perhaps our expectations were too high or we missed something.

Thirdly, we certainly aren't big drinkers (G doesn't even drink), but the ambience of relaxing with a drink is missing because the hotel doesn't have a liquor licence. You have to pre-order (and it took 3 conversations to order a bottle of ordinary Chilean white) and so the process is cumbersome. And we wouldn't have known where to buy a bottle of wine anyway.

Finally, the service was generally forced and lacking genuine warmth. It was like the staff knew they had to be pleasant etc but really didn't want to be (unlike our experience at The Kandy House and Amangalla). On our first night we wanted to dine inside (at 7 pm) and were told that the restaurant was full - so we dined outside which was okay. However, when we walked back to the room at 9pm the restaurant was empty, so what were we to think? We are used to sittings and if we had been told we had to finish by 8.30pm or 9pm we would have agreed. As well, at dinner on the second night the waiter (a Tamil) started complaining to us about his life and how discriminated against Tamils were - which seemed a little heavy for the dinner table. We tried to be pleasant and certainly would have been interested another time - but it came across as just a bit unprofessional. As well, he seemed to take an unhealthy interest in G's cleavage (no, she wasn't wearing a plunging neckline) and I found him outside our room at 9.40pm that night when I was going to pay the bill before we left. He quickly turned and walked away, so I don't know what that was about but it did make me feel uncomfortable. This unhealthy interest in female guests staying at Tintagel has been commented on elsewhere on Tripadvisor but we regarded it as a one-off - perhaps it isn't. However we had no such experiences anywhere else in Sri Lanka and have rarely had such experiences in our travel anywhere.

So we wouldn't stay here again. Some places just don't work for the guest and this one didn't work for us.

4 Thank ChrisandGardner
Anton P, Manager at Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Gardner,

At the very outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel. We were very sad to read your review, especially seeing as you did not get an opportunity to experience what Tintagel Colombo really stands for.

Please note that we do have soft pillows available on request, however as a standard we keep the hard pillows. As mentioned in the room information folder, on request housekeeping would have gladly arranged some soft pillows for you. I am saddened that you did not inquire from any of the staff, as they would have informed you of the same and gladly arrange the pillows for you.

With regards to the comment on service standards; please note that how we serve our customers is of utmost importance to us. I wish you had spoken to me on the contact number mentioned in the welcome letter or approached me or any of the managers regarding any of your concerns, and we would have gladly looked into all of them.

Kindly note that the only reason my team have not offered you the restaurant with the option to leave by 8.30pm is due to the fact that the other reservations made for that night were between 8pm – 9pm and unfortunately we did now know that the groups were running late. Also I feel it would be impolite to request guests to finish their meals at a stipulated time, however if only you had mentioned that you are not happy to dine in the courtyard we would have made other arrangements, like we have done in the past.

Kindly note that with regards to the comment on the waiter; we are currently investigating into this and we will do the needful depending on the outcome. Please note that we take any action where necessary to avoid inconvenience to all our guests and would not tolerate any misbehavior from any of our staff members at any time.

With regards to the comment on the staff member being near the room; please note that the room you stayed in is very close to the corridor leading to the entrance of the court yard pantry, hence he would need to enter from there to serve guests in the court yard.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Given the opportunity to render our services on your next visit to Sri Lanka; we will strive to exceed your expectations as we usually do.

Thank you once again for your constructive comments that will assist us improve our services.

Anton Peiris
Manager
Paradise Road - Tintagel Colombo
Coogee, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night but wish we could have stayed longer. Our room was excellent: spacious, amazingly decorated, and the bed had the best pillows ever. We had both dinner and breakfast at the hotel, and both meals were excellent and beautifully presented. We would stay here again, and again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This Hotel was our last stop on our trip. We had a very small room on the ground floor so did our children. I felt locked in. The Hotel is too dark and was not very clean.The restaurant was ok but not more and the service not very friendly.

Room Tip: I have not seen the other rooms but ours I cannot recommend.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crystal1942
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

It's not often you get to stay in a house that used to be the prime minister's residence! We booked into the Tintagel hotel for the final night of our trip to Sri Lanka - and we were not at all disappointed. The room was beautiful, complete with four-poster canopy bed, the most comfortable mattress and pillows I think I've ever slept on and a bathroom I'd love to have at home! The service was efficient and friendly and we were made to feel very special.

A very glamourous way to end our trip to Sri Lanka... if ever I found myself back in Colombo, this is surely where I'd stay. Lots of hotels in Sri Lanka claim to be 'boutique hotels' when they are nothing of the sort - this however is the real thing!

2 Thank nikkip378
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2012

After an amazing time in India at Taj Palaces & AMAN resort; and Galle, Sri Lanka at The Hideaways Club villa, Malinga Kanda, we were dreading our last days of our vacation staying in the city of Colombo.

Our fears were unfounded. A boutique hotel in a colonial mansion of historic significance. Service by superbly trained staff that we would give more than an arm and leg to have all the time at our home. We enjoyed ourselves and we overlooked some of the shortcomings, but will mention here for the benefit of Trip Advisor members:

1. Facilities
There is no spa. The pool is a large bath tub and gets sun for a few hours during the day. Water was refreshingly cool. Our suite was close to the kitchen and therefore, the living room did get noise that should be insulated, and one night guests were enjoying their drinks late in the restaurant. It seemed they were outside our room, but apparently the ceiling is connected and noise does travel very clearly particularly when friends are having a ball.

2. Colonial times
The reception area is small but for a dozen rooms adequate. On two occasions the most despicable happened when I was at the the counter talking to the attendant, a lady came by and ordered the receptionist something and on another a couple came by, made a loud statement and walked away as if they really still are rulers of Sri Lanka. I suppose the mansion makes them forget they are not in colonial times and wait for their turn. The staff should be trained to prevent that, if putting a sign or a door would be offensive, no doubt to others.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. First floor would be quieter. Every 'room' is called a suite. The m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family