“Loved it!”
Review of Sea Spray

Sea Spray
Ranked #45 of 595 Restaurants in Colombo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: With its panoramic views of the Indian Ocean in a defined casual-chic setting, Sea Spray introduces an exclusive alfresco dining experience to Colombo. Inspired by European seafronts, the atmosphere is refined but relaxed, with seamless understated service. The cuisine is authentic yet contemporary based on the creative use of island produce made to order with fresh fish, crustaceans and shellfish, being the highlight. The curated menu is focused on the Chef's private cooking stage with contemporary cooking styles. Sea Spray offers an elegant and interactive experience, with an extensive Raw Bar and Wine Cellar that enhances this exclusive dining experience. The menu is a creation of Executive Chef Adam Gaunt-Evans and Sea Spray's Chef de Cuisine Jagath Raweendra.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Love the ambience, the food and really lovely table setting in at the seafront. The food has great flavour and the type of cuisine changes from time to time. I visit often and each experience is just as lovely as the one before.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Go for the view and the sea spray in your hair. The buffet is a large spread and it is not all that great. But, the view!

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I visited this restaurant last weekend to celebrate one of my friends birthday party. The food was mediocre bland and lack of flavor. Three types of rice, Avg Singaporean Chili Crabs and few other choices. The display grill had some good cuts of fish but unfortunately they are not seasoned. I asked for a slice of fish and a pice of calamari to be grilled from the display grill, and for my disappointment I was given what I asked for with out any seasoning or flavor, calamari tasted like rubber and the piece of fish was tasteless. From a place like Gall Face Hotel I would expect to see using various types of regional flavorings and marinations at the grill such as tandoor or spice rubbed... I had 3 choices of sauces for my "grilled seafood" by the display grill and they were awful. Chopped garlic in clarified butter, some off white color alfredo looking sauce (sauce is broken due to the heat) and "cocktail sauce" quit frankly it was tomato ketchup. It was shocking for me to know that the executive chef of Galle Face Hotel would not know the difference between ketchup and cocktail sauce which consist of horseradish tomato purée and worcestershire sauce.
The salads were hidden away inside the desserts room which were not visible from outside. None of us from our table realized that there were any salads until we went inside to grab the desserts. What a shame.!! Please invest few bucks on signage indicating Salads and Desserts inside of a room.!!
The service was very slow, the servers were not trained to check on their tables once the service has begun. Even though it was a self served buffet style, it would be nice to see the servers check in with their tables for drinks. I saw a floor manager around but I never saw him talking to any tables. One more thing rubbed me the wrong way is their pricing strategy , Apox 1950 rupees ++ per person and 60 rupees for water... Come on guys, where is the perceived value .?? I would rather pay 2000 rupees and you give me free water..... Very poor overall operations. I expected lot more from a place like Galle Face Hotel.!!
On a positive note great ambiance, over looking the indian ocean, cool breeze, and if you are lucky you will experience live local music played by a Cortez style Band.! !

2  Thank ramanayake
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had booked 2 room (which is in total dismay, smelly and dirty) in the hotel and make a reservation for dinner at the seafood restaurant for 8 pax over the phone. Upon arrival at the restaurant, were told there is no reservation been make and the captain reluctantly set up a spare table on the sidewalk for us as we insist that confirmation was given to us over the phone. Towards the end of dinner, it starts to rain and we request to move in covered areas as there are already guest who has left. We were very rudely told off by the captain named Ramesh that we already started eating desserts (its a buffett dinner) and he do not see a point to move us although its drizzling. He even accuses us of insisting on a spare table although it is clearly the Hotel mgmt didnt do their job.

Beware of this hotel and restaurant. They may have the great location with great heritage. And due to that, they have become so arrogant beyond words. It's not worth spending a single dime in this place. I am sure once more acclaimed property like Shangrilla opens.. this property will be forever written off as a forgotten glory.

1  Thank Ho W
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beautiful location and a good spread of sea food, but not quite what I expected from a unique hotel like Galle Face Hotel. The service is very slow and staff mix up beverage orders. The place is really warm and they should look at placing more fans so that the diners dont suffer and boil. there is an action station managed by one staff so paying guests have to que up and stay for ages to get some grilled sea food. Parking can be a challenge in this place, specially on a week-end.