“Fantastic Stay”

New Cape Grace Guest House
Ranked #1 of 96 Islamabad B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wow what a fantastic place to stay and nothing is to much trouble for the manager or the staff. In fact it was so good that I booked extra nights there and took my friends too. I booked a car through the hotel which worked out much cheaper than using local taxis.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a terrace and sit and chill.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris W
There are newer reviews for New Cape Grace Guest House

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Because of the excellent reports on Tripadvisor I decided to book in New Cape Grace House.
In January 2014 my family and I from Germany stayed for 3 nights at the New Cape Grace Guest House as tourists in Pakistan.
We had a family room deluxe suite with 4 beds.
Coming to Islamabad we had some ideas where to go, and Mr. Karim arranged everything for us spontaneously.
He organized an excellent English speaking driver with a convenient car, who accompanied us for the 3 days to different place (Taxila, Murree, city tour Islamabad).
Thanks to Mr. Karim our stay in Islamabad has been a full success. He knows what tourists need and wish, and fulfills their wishes immediately.
We felt very safe at the New Cape Grace House, especially as we did not want to stay in a big international hotel in Pakistan. The guest house delivers a fast and stable Internet connection, a constant power supply and warm water in the bath room.
So I can recommend Mr. Karim and the New Cape Grace House to everybody.
Best regards
Mathias Künlen
Munich, Germany.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Mathias K
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was very nice and as an added bonus we also had a lovely terrace. The service was excellent and Karim in particular was very helpful. It was in a good location near to a number of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank h_rossbow
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is my 4rh week of stay in New Cape Grace. I had reserved for two weeks initially, but then I needed to extend it for further two. The management was most co-operative in accommodating my need. New Cape Grace is a family run guest house. It literally aspires to be your home away from home. It is clean, comfortable and friendly. It is conveniently located within pleasant walking distance of two of the most popular markets of Islamabad. The clientele here is Western as well as Asian. Karim the Owner/Manager is always there with a delightful smile to help you and to tend to your requirements. If you need something, just ask him. The non-stop Wi-Fi connection is good plus there are other business services available. There must be a power back-up system in place as there hasn’t been a power cut off once. Above all, it is a friendly, efficient and a highly safe place particularly for a woman travelling by herself. I had been concerned about being a woman alone in a Pakistani hotel, but here, I sleep without fear. The staff is honest, and they lookout for you.
I cannot but also mention that I am suffering from gastroenteritis, and Karim could not be more helpful, from acquiring medication to overseeing an appropriate diet regimen. In what other hotel could you get such care? For this reason plus all others mentioned above, I find New Cape Grace an exceptional value for money and I give it a 5/5 rating.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SSS124
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I found this guest house through Trip Advisor when I was looking for good value along with good connections, decent comfort and safety. I was very pleased indeed with my choice. The guest house is well placed. It's a 12-minute daytime walk to the nearest supermarket area. Local taxis are available, and the guest house has an association with a car firm for day-long or out-of-town trips. The staff at the New Cape Grace is small, but really attentive, and room service (best for breakfast) is excellent. What marks this guest house out is the personal, hand-on attention of Karim Meghji, its very experienced proprietor. He is on duty for long hours, and nothing is too much trouble for him. He is full of valuable advice for getting around Islamabad. I recommend his establishment very highly

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was going to stay here for a few days but then i stayed longer it is very nice and I have to say the service from Mr Karim and his family was the best. Mr Karim was really friendly and welcoming. The rooms are well maintained and he really looks after all his guests The room are very cozy with Secured 802.11 High-speed Fiber WiFi and a flat screen television and queen and king size beds me and my family had a pleasant stay By far I would definitely recommend this guest house to anyone looking to stay in Islamabad. It is secure and there is easy access to all shops and tourist attractions from the guesthouse The food is also really good. by Nasir

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nas h
Reviewed October 26, 2013

1. Stayed there just recently on 23rd Oct 2013 just for 1 night & would never stay there again.

2. I was told in an email that the pick up from the airport costs 900 Rs while I was charged 1200 Rs upon arrival at the guest house just because I stopped on way to grab some food not that the food place was out of the way or something. I asked the driver if its OK to make a stop really quick for 5 mins and he said its no problem. (Jinnah super market)

3. Never stay in the room by kitchen in ally since its partitioned, super loud & stinky as hell.

4. Hot water is upon request, I had to go twice to the reception to request them to turn on the water heater at night and at 6 am in morning so keep 30 mins in hand before you have to go somewhere. I was asked if I needed the AC remote or not which was very absurd.

5. You are better off having breakfast, lunch or dinner outside by price, quality & hygienic wise.

6. If you check out & need to use bathroom later, then the reception guy sent me to the place in the Photo I uploaded so better off going to the bathroom while you're out shopping.

7. In email correspondence I was told 900 Rs airport pick so I figured it would be the same to get dropped at the airport but the guy at reception said 1000 Rs. It's not about money but its about principle how you over charging your customers and ripping them off. Emails says one thing & the reception guy tells you something else.

8. Taxi is 1000 times cheaper outside. I needed to go near by Khosar market & the reception guy said its 1000 Rs to drop off. I went out & taxi took 100 Rs to Khosar market. So be wise with your money since the reception guy trying his best to rip you off especially if you're a foreigner.

9. Upon check out I was charged 2 large bottles of water even tho I told the guy I didn't drank 3 liters of water just over night. Again he tried his best to over charge without inspecting or asking If I used the water, he still added to the bill anyways. While rest of the world water is always complimentary.

10. Being related to Occupational Health & safety I will never give business to the place who treats their employees like animals & doesn't care about hygiene. I don't have to say much because the photo explains it all. On top they trying to over charge where ever they can.

11. The room was way too below what I paid for. Shouldn't be more then 1500 Rs for that crappy stinking loud room by the kitchen with hot water on request every time.

12. If you're a foreigner be wise with your money and make sure you ain't getting ripped off.

13. Location wise its a good place to stay If you just need a bed to sleep and bathroom to use.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Princen_Oranien
newcapegrace, Manager at New Cape Grace Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

1. One can always choose whether or not to stay at a praticular acommodation facility, hotel or a guest house.

2. Airport pickup costs vary between 900 and a 1000 local currency because of the price hike in the fuel costs and CNG being not available on certain days of the week. Those rental vehicles work on a contract and if a private mid-size rental car would be taken to another place, there would definitely be an extra charge for the additional kilometers just as it would be at any other place anywhere else in the world. Here, the guest is talking about $2 - $3 additional costs only as the market that was chosen to go to was a few additional kilometers and out of the way.

3. The room is small in size but clean and serviced every day and it has been getting rented out all the time with no complaints as such. Infact this particular room is preferred by many guests who are single occupant and need a small room with all offerred amenities.

4. Hot water is always available in the mornings and evenings. its only the odd hours when it is not available and there is no harm if one has to request for the hot water to make it available when it is not only by calling the room service directly from the room. no need to come and walk to the reception for such small requests.

5. Food at our accommodation facility is cooked fresh as per ordered from the food menu. Nothing is available before hand to maintain its quality and freshness. There have never been any complaints in our food quality. The guest felt prices were high from the very basic unhygenic kiosk restaurants available in town. Without ordering any food from us, its quality cannot be challenged which makes this complaint not legit.

6. The guest checked out the room and upon returning back, he insisted to use any bath for a quick minute that would be available. The available one was by the temp. staff area as the other staff accommodation is being renovated and instead of appreciating the favor, a complaint is placed here in writing.

7. Airport transfer charges are nominal and standard as it is being charged by any other cab services in town. The details have been clarified in point no. 2 as well.

8. The guest is comparing costs between a private rental vehicle and random taxis driven outside on the roads which are not safe at all to use a random cab who's driver is not known. If the guest would have asked for a taxi instead of a private car, that would had been arranged for him for economical costs.

9. Filter water is provided free of cost whereas branded mineral water is charged its costs just as anywhere else.

10. The guest has made an assumption on his own of the temp area upstairs without asking for any clarifications.

11. If one is concerned about staying at a cheaper place to cut costs, he/she should had done that in the first place instead of booking an accommodation facility which he felt is more price than he was willing to pay. There are all sorts of accommodation facilities being offerred at higher or lower costs depending on various factors and its quality..

12. It seems that the guest has chosen to express his anger of one to the other. There is never a differentiation between a local guest and a foreigner in terms of prices. Anything that is ordered is written in the menu and all rental car costs / yellow-cab costs are the same regardless of the guests' nationality.

13. There are different kinds of rooms available at our accommodation facility to meet the requirements of our potential guests.

We welcome our guests with open heart and always more than willing to solve any issues that is being raised. We wish this guest would had talked to us to resolve any issues that he faced but instead he chose to keep his quiet and perhaps intentionally put it in writing. Its never too late and we would be more than happy to serve Mr. Saad's accommodation needs again and resolve any issues and make his stay worthwhile.