“Walk to nearby sights/meetings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Sky Hotel & Tower

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Blue Sky Hotel & Tower
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
Tokyo, Japan
“Walk to nearby sights/meetings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Central location allows you to beat the traffic and walk to nearby sights (Temples and the Square) and meetings (especially government offices). Four restaurants on site are convenient. Walk to Millie's for a comfort food break. Rooms are good. Service is friendly (just) but not terribly pro-active. Still, for location, it's excellent.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Zolboo, Public Relations Manager at Blue Sky Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
First of all, thanks for your stay in our hotel. We are trying our best to improve our service. We hope you will come back again in our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
rockhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in April. Room was great, good view heating worked fine, the hotel has a reasonable gym and pool. The roof top bar is a highlight, possibly the best possible view over Ulaanbaatar.

The downsides, the staff are friendly but not inclined to go out of their way to help, it was quite annoying that the rooms don't have irons, each floor has a single iron, and you need to rely on the other guests returning it to the corridor.

The location of this hotel will always be its best selling point.

1 Thank petermoore
Zolboo, Public Relations Manager at Blue Sky Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Firstly, we really appreciated that your feedback.
We have already begun the process of booking the iron board and new iron as you demanded. We will make sure this problem would be solved when you arrive next time. You do not have to be worried. As for the service, we began instructing our staff. Therefore we will be delighted to serve our customers with quality service. Thank you for your feedback.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Blue Sky has uneven ratings so I was happily surprised to have a good experience. Management appears to have taken some criticism to heart. Overall Blue Sky ranks slightly below Ramada in facilities and service, but location is much better.

PROS:
-- You can actually control the heating/aircon in the room, a HUGE advantage over all other hotels in UB. This is probably reason enough to stay here unless you want to roast elsewhere due to the city's soviet legacy heating system.
-- Hotel is still new so rooms and facilities are in comparatively good shape. Remember this is UB, not Hong Kong.
-- Breakfast is actually OK, though nothing to write home about. Biggest criticism - only fresh fruit was sliced apple. Otherwise all were canned. Coffee has improved and actually tastes like coffee (think American not European standards).

CONS
-- Service is uneven. I had no problems but I noticed some people had issues with reception regarding over refusal to accept Amex (I had my local office call hotel to confirm they would accept it) and overcharges for ground transport.
-- Wifi mostly works but signal frequently alternates between strong and weak, sometimes interrupting conections. Forget about using skype and facetime.
-- Restaurants are generally poor. Service is reluctant and slow. There are infinitely better places nearby (Silk Road and Veranda - 3 min walk).
--Seasons western restaurant is expensive and BAD. Korean place is merely ok. 24th floor gourmet restaurant is actually very good but don't go if you have limited time. It took 45 minutes to get our entrees. 23rd floor bar has great atmosphere and views. Service is friendly and tries, not always successfully. WARNING: There is a charge for the best window seating areas, OUTRAGEOUS.
-- Gym has good treadmills but very little for strength training. The room is very small.

Overall, given some previous nightmare experiences in UB Hotels (see my review of Continental Hotel), this place is fine. The business person's choice is between Ramada and here. Probably best to choose based on which hotel is closest to your business office or appointments so you can walk or at least minimize drive time in UB's constantly slow traffic.

1 Thank raherold
Zolboo, Public Relations Manager at Blue Sky Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Raherold,

First of all, thank you for giving us a feedback on our service which we can improve upon your next visit.
We are in the process of upgrading our internet network and routers. Recently we have appointed 25 year experienced F&B manager whom worked for the top restaurants. The plans for improving our services are in full swing. I apologize on behalf of the management if there was any inconvenience.
Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Hotel Blue Sky Tower the next time you're in Ulaanbaatar.
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is in a very central location right on Sukhbaatar Square. It is recently constructed to a modern design. However, the quality of interior design is average and finishes are poor with large gaps in the tiling and other evidence of bad workmanship. However, in fairness, none of the faults compromised the functioning of the room or its services.

Check in experience was very slow. It took over half an hour to get a key. The hotel also has a policy of demanding up-front payment of all booked room costs which is unusual for a major hotel.

Apart from the finishes mentioned above the room was quite large and comfortable. The TV worked as did the heating. One thing I appreciated was the bed: king sized with very comfortable mattress and good linen. The water was hot and arrived immediately after the tap was turned on.

WiFi internet is provided free and worked ok. Multiple devices could be connected (a frequent problem in some places) and there was sufficient bandwidth for email. However, not enough for Skype other than at odd hours.

As has been mentioned by others the breakfast service is very ordinary and well below what I would have expected. Rather miserable offerings and limited choices. The coffee was self-serve, weak dripolator stuff. As with boarding school the best option to go for is toast.

The coffee shop on the ground floor has a few stodgy buns on offer, but was able to produce a large, well made hot chocolate which was a nice way of thawing out from a walk around town.

Service levels from staff are variable, ranging from friendly and helpful to boorishly unhelpful. Generally service levels in Ulaanbaatar are low and this hotel's management has not done much to raise the standard of its staff.

In all this place is OK and fit for purpose. My experience of it was satisfactory, however, the variability in performance and standards does have the potential to result in the bad experiences reported by some other reviewers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank welwitschia
Firslty, thanks for your feedback and comments. We will try our best to reach your request. The plans for improving our services are on going. If you had any problem during your stay, Please receive our apologizing and we can promise that this won`t happen in the future.
Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose our hotel next time.
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

After my last review I stayed 3 more times at the Blue Sky Hotel (why TA does not allow me to write a review sooner ;()) . It is a downhill slope and there is no stopping. Check in and out service is bad, the attitude of staff is just unbelievable bad. Restaurants are on downwards spiral as well. Breakfast service is pathetic. I had hope but even the Pope wouldn't believe it an anymore. If it wasn't for the convenience ......I think I will move over to the Ramada when the weather is better ...I don't mind the stroll to the office then.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sl00001
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well, after more than 10 years I have business in Mongolia and I travel over there from China, I was so happy to see a newly hotel, with modern ambitions and acceptable standards. In UB there is not so much choice if you are looking for luxury or even simple business hotels. Let's speak about my experience in this venue.
1. The booking. The process was troublesome. The web site was not working properly, I tried to call them but the person in charge was not in, I called 5 times till I decided to ask my office in UB to book it for me. They reached the manager mobile phone to get my room fixed. I found that this process is quite normal there, many hotels seems leave the booking in a "relationships based" process. If you know the right people, you are best served.
2. I arrived and the surprises start:. The reception boy was asking me to pay the whole stay in advance and in cash!! Since I have to stay there about one week, how could be possible. After a long negotiation in mongolian with my local manager, The guy at the reception, accepted my credit card. How come?? again the process was left to the single guy initiative and I guess this is a sign of lack of transparency in the hotel.
3. The rooms. Since I know the history of this hotel, I found confirmation about my impression. The hotel was built by a company that stopped the construction several time for lack of funds. The rooms reflect this situation. You can see that although they pretend to be a star hotel, the choice of furniture, the finishing, every thing has been done seeking the maximum saving, and the lowest level you can imagine. I was regretting dind't have choice Ramada or UB Hotel,
The Air cond was not working properly. With -30C outside I could get freezing temperatures or highest temperatures, no way to regulate. In a almost blandly new hotel, they had to replace the controller next day, after having protested several time.
4. I had the bad idea t ogive them some laundry to wash….I hand over my 2 shirts and few other items to them before 9 AM the day before departure, but late evening I didn’t get it back. Since I had to leave next day, I tried to recovery it, and they came to my room with my laundry completely soaked in water and not washed…PHEW!
5. The check out. Another nightmare! I had my flight at 2 pm and I arrange to check out around 9 because I had my last meeting at 9.30 before going to airport. At 8.45 I tried to open my safe box but it didn’t work. Ok, surely it was my mistake, so I called the reception to open it…..I call again and again….and at 9.20 my safe was still closed, no body came. So I started to scream over the phone and only at 10 AM three persons came, with big apologise…but my meeting was screwed up and I had to skip it and you can imagine my feeling that time…
I am sure that I was unlucky, but I can say that the hotel is poorly managed, no serious training to the personnel, I guess they were employed because kids of some friends and not because professional trained. After one year since the opening I cannot even give them the excuse that they are new.
My suggestions is to start to invest in professional training, clear the bad impression that something unclear is going on during booking and checking process, and try to do proper maintenance since the hotel looks like 20 years old at the 1st birthday.

GOOD points:

1. nice gym
2. breakfast acceptable although you need to pay water or asking hardly some ice water
3. good top floor restaurant and bar, quite and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank SaroShanghai
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Having stayed stay in this hotel many nights I find some of the comments disappointing as I have only had good service friendly staff and excellent rooms. The only one problem is their booking system. Apart from that great hotel in t he centre of UB.

Room Tip: I had rooms on most floors all good