Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $74.00
from $85.00
from $61.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

Trip of a lifetime!

I had pretty high expectations going into this trip and the trip exceeded all of them. I’ve wanted to do a pack trip for a long time and have always wanted to go to Mongolia, because of the horses, the history, and the open land. I had looked at a few companies before deciding to go with Stone Horse, and I’m so glad I did.

It’s a small company, the owners, Keith and Sabina are your guides along with a few amazing local ones. They own their horses and take great care of them. The bigger companies such as National Geographic contract out, so you don’t really know what you’re going to get. Stone Horse horses are unbelievable! They’re incredibly smart and very forgiving. They know the terrain and take care of you. I rode Blackie on the trip and I came back a better rider because of that horse.

The food on the trip was great! Sabina is an awesome cook and should publish a trek/wilderness cook book. :) She also took some amazing photos of us and emailed them to us right after the trip.

After the horse trek we had 6 extra days to spend in Mongolia. On very short notice Sabina and Keith organized a trip for us to the Gobi. We stayed in ger camps, and with local herding families, it was an amazing cultural experience.

We didn’t want the trip to end!

2  Thank Liza P
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Liz, it was great to have you guys on that trip. Our staff is still talking about it. All of you good riders who handled the horses well over challenging wilderness terrain. Look forward to having you all back sometime.

Reviewed September 7, 2018

We were 6 people (30-45 years old, 3m + 3f) who stayed for 2 nights in a Ger. It was an amazing experience in the wilderness. We were picked up at the train station by our guide who spoke English who brought us to our Ger. The loving family took perfect care of us, providing us with plenty of food, including eggs for breakfast and a variety of food for lunch and dinner. We had two Gers for our self, each of them designed in a comfortable way. The landscape was stunning and completely untouched, perfect for relaxation, horse riding or hiking. The price of 150 USD per person including food and accommodation was worth it! Thank you so much for this unique experience

2  Thank Benedikt R

Benedikt, so glad you enjoyed the herder family ger stay. We'll pass on your comments to Yadmaa and Davasuren. Visit again sometime.

Reviewed September 2, 2018

this trip was for me a truly magnificent experience. Sabine and the horsemen Byambaa and Hundag along with eegi (she normally works in the office but came along for the experience) did a great job of looking after us.

The food was way plentiful and varied with vegetarian options ( two of our group are vegetarians). Well done to Sabine who along with eegi really stepped up to plate because our cook( sorry can't remember her name) had an accident and had to return to the city to get medical attention. The drink was a good mix of different teas, I loved the Korean coffee in a sachet and in the evening red and white wine, whiskey also made an appearance.

The Mongolian horses being used here are used to being ridden and quite forgiving of rider mistakes, I'am no great rider and I got the rhythm of the trot and canter fairly soon. My horse was a young caramel coloured horse I called fudge, he loved to work his way up to the front. great character.

The gear i.e. tents and sleeping bags are modern and saddles(made by sabine) are comfortable.

Managed to see and hear a wolf, several eagles and evidence of wild boars along with crickets and different insects and flowers

Everyone one worked hard to make our experience a pleasurable one and it was. Thanks all.

2  Thank 67david67

Dave, glad you liked the trip. Very lucky to see a wolf as you did. Come back again sometime.

Reviewed August 21, 2018

I have been wanting to come to Mongolia and ride horses since I was 12 years old and I saw a documentary with Julia Roberts in it. So I've been mentally ruminating on this trip for over 2 decades. I had really high expectations (my mother informs me that I have high expectations of everything...but even for me this trip had a lot to live up to) and the trip met and exceeded all expectations within the first day. The sky is clear and vast. Running on the open green land was amazing. Being there made me feel both large and small; finite and existentially connected to other things.
It made me so happy.
The people were amazing, organized and responsible sure, but also witty, interesting, and kind. They care about the country including the land and natural resources, the people, and the animals.
The horses were well cared for and healthy, and seemed to like their jobs and enjoy their lives. They have spunk, are quick, sure footed, full of personality, and are funny.
Go.

1  Thank Maria E

Maria, it was nice to have you join this group of riders. You all were really good. That is a great trip and so glad to hear it made you happy. Our staff is still talking about all of you guys. We look forward to your return

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

After some years being busy with work I finally decided to book an exciting vacation for myself. And since I do like horse riding I decided to book an expedition on horse with Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel. I always wanted to see Mongolia and from my current home town - Shanghai - it is not too far.
For sure I had my doubts - Will this be well organized? Will the horses be in good condition? Will I be tough enough to survive roughly two weeks of horse trekking & camping in the wilderness? How will the other riders be?
With a big smile I can say that none of my concerns became true - quite contrary I had an unforgettable & overwhelming experience with very lovely & fun fellow horse riders in Mongolia.
Sabine & Keith have been awesome with the organization, knowledge & insights. They made me feel very comfortable from day one & matched the horse exactly to my needs.
Also the horsemen/-woman were very professional and helpful (especially in the first days when I was not so familiar with the horse riding gear).
The whole team was always approachable during the trip in case of questions, concerns or small problems. The horses were taken very good care of and were also checked regularly.
Also there was a nice balance between being on the horse and free time to also relax a bit. The two days at the Black Lichen Lake have been amazing. And I got never tired of enjoying the nature.
I can't wait to come back to Mongolia for another trek latest next year - it was an unforgettable experience!

2  Thank ChristinaM2487

Christina, it was good to have you along and now you've signed on for two trips with us for 2019. You really must have liked it. We'll see you next year!