Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $495.00
from $85.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

had a great 4 days horseback riding thanks to Sabine, Keith and all the horsemen of Dtonehorse Mongolia. They know Mongolia like the palm of their hand
The horses are docile and strong which shows the love and care they have for them.

Big thanks for an unforgettable experience in the blooming Terleji park and the care you took for me !!
Thanks a lot !!!

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank betcr
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Betina, it was nice having you along the trip, even if just a short while. You are a good rider. Join us again sometime for a longer expedition into the Khentii mountains. I'm sure you would like that

Reviewed July 14, 2018

I spent a long time looking for a horse riding holiday in Mongolia and finally stumbled across Stone Horse, I think I definitely made the right choice! Everything was very well organised right from the initial emails to the trip itself which is exactly what i wanted being a solo traveller. The equipment was excellent with the camping gear high quality and the saddles really comfy and practical for this sort of trip. The scenery on the whole trip was stunning with lots of variation and the camps on each night were equally scenic and practical. The food was also excellent!

The horses were truly amazing with stone horse having a dedicated herd with a real mix to suit all abilities. I ride regularly and had the lovely Brownie who was forward going and responsive and there was plenty of opportunity for faster riding for those who wanted to.

Massive thanks to all the Stone Horse team for an unforgettable trip and I'm sure I will be back!

Date of experience: June 2018
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2018

So glad you found the trip to your liking and that you appreciated Brownie. He is one of our best horses. Well, I think they're all good and we do try to match each horse to each rider, but Brownie is a special character. Yes, do return for one of our longer trips.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

My brother and I went on this expedition in June 2018. We were looking for Mongolian trips which would let us see and experience the wildlife there, and this seemed like a good place to start, except that we had no experience with horse riding. We eventually decided to go 3 days earlier to stay with a herder family and learn how to ride before the expedition, a decision I haven't regretted!

The stay at the ger was enjoyable. There wasn't really much to do when we weren't riding, but our hosts Yadmaa and Davasuren were very kind, and their food was really really good! Simple meals, but we enjoyed them all.

The expedition itself was wonderful too. Coming from a city, I seldom get to see so much land, or trees, or stars... The sun was hot, the rain was cold, and the night winds colder, but the sights, the company and the horses made it all worth it!

Special mention to the horses, amazing creatures! Tough, a little bit stubborn, but gentle and good-natured. They were well taken care of, and it was fun watching them interact with each other in the herd.

Sabine, Nyamaa and the Mongolian herders took very good care of us. Really grateful for the good food, and for all the help in handling the horses, especially for an inexperienced rider like myself. The long rides were a little tiring at first, but it got better after a few days. Walking became boring then.

I don't want to make this essay too long, so I'll end off with a big THANK YOU to Keith, Sabine and everyone else for the well-organised trip, and the wonderful experience. I won't forget it in a hurry!

Date of experience: June 2018
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2018

For having no previous horse riding experience, both you and Daniel did really well. You're fast learners. Being in good shape and a bit athletic as you both are helps. It was great to have you along, glad you liked it, and nice photo's too.Thanks for sending us a bunch. Come on back some day and do one of the longer rides.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

Last October, we embarked on a six day horse riding, camping trek, with "Stone Horse Expeditions". Even by Mongolian standards, October 2017, was unseasonably cold but despite the weather we so enjoyed the riding trek and had such confidence in Keith, Sabine and their Mongolian team, that we requested to do another trek with them this year.

They offered us a customised camel trek, for just the two of us, in the Gobi Desert. This was not one of their regular treks and it was our first experience with camels. We were certainly not disappointed with our new experience in the desert environment. Our guide, Sabine, ensured that we were safe, well fed and comfortable and we were very happy to find that the two camels, offered to us to ride, were calm and trustworthy. All told this was a magical adventure and one we will not forget.

Our thanks to Keith, Sabine and all the Stone Horse team, for providing us with two wonderful trips in Mongolia.

Neil and Helen (Australia)

Date of experience: May 2018

You both did well riding camels for 6 days. Quite adventurous and hopefully good stories to tell when you got home. I could imagine we'll see you back again some day.

Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

I had a very good Email contact to Sabine to organize our stay. We just stay 4 days in Mongolai and Sabine helps us to get the perfect stay. We get picked up at the airport very early in the morning. Dava our guide drove us to our hotel where we had a rest for a few hours. He picked us up in the morning and we had a great Day in Ulaanbaatar with amazing sightseeing. At the next Day, we visit the wild horses. We followed them by foot and had a great view. In the afternoon we arrive at the normadic family. Yadema and her husband were very nice and we had tasty dinner and breakfast. At the next two days we ride the horses in a amazing landscape. It was one of the best expirience I made. Keith (the owner) is very friendly and he prepared the lunch with much of love. We had Picknick next to the horses in this beautyful landscape. After the ride back at the ger camp, we had cold beer and relaxed. I can recommend stone horse to eberybody who wants to make a special holyday. They are perfect in Organisation, friendly and special. If you want to have quality, go with stone horse. Thank you Keith for everything, I will come again one day. Best regards to Sabine. Dear, Heike

Date of experience: May 2018
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2018

It was nice to have you both visit and do the horse riding with us. Happy to hear you enjoyed your time here in Mongolia. You'll have to come back for a longer ride. I'll try to continue to make the picnic lunches with care.