Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $495.00
from $85.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed October 24, 2017

We have just completed the 8 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Expedition which we understand was the coldest that the Stone Horse has experienced.

The past Trip Advisor tributes to the Stone Horse team are effusive and so well justified.

The help and kindness from all of the people is something that we have not had the pleasure of experiencing in our travels.

Everyone looks after you and helps with everything that you do - well not quite everything.

The meals were so good and the heater in the dining tent at night was a magnet and so comfortable.

The snow covered scenery in the Park was magic, bit chilly at times, but something not to be missed.

The horses were wonderful and really safe.

Our well being and safety was paramount.

A Stone Horse Trek is not something to be missed

Neil and Helen

Date of experience: October 2017
2  Thank Neil H
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2018

Niel and Helen, thanks for the comments. It was a rather cold trip, but the chorus of wolves those last two nights very close by, was worth it. We're making things ready for you upcoming Gobi Camel ride with us in May 2018. See you then.

Reviewed October 3, 2017

The Khan Khentii Expedition this September was by far the best I've ever experienced. It was planned perfectly, from the moment we stepped off the plane in Ulaanbaatar, till we said our farewells. We wove through the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park and Khan Khentii Strictly Protected Area into unimaginably remote areas, deep into the wild. The scenery was breathtaking. Pictures couldn’t possibly do it justice, and neither could words.

Everything about Stone Horse screams quality and professionalism. They made sure we were as comfortable as possible, whether in the saddle or at the campsites (think titanium stove-heated communal tent…so cosy, so warm). The quality of the equipment (saddles made by Sabine herself, tents etc. ordered from the US) left us with absolutely nothing to complain about. Nyamaa and Sabine fed us so well (they even prepared burritos on one of the nights, AND BAKED FRESH BREAD) that after each long day’s ride, we were always excited about the meals we would be stuffing our faces with.

The groups are kept small (we were 5 guests, 5 staff), which made it very personal. Their horses are spectacular; very understanding, forgiving, not overly skittish, and they had an unbelievable stamina and strength. Being part of a 23-horse herd was an experience in itself, being surrounded by both packhorses and horses just coming along for the fun of it.

We were given the freedom to go ahead of the guide if we wanted to, or to ride side-by-side, which felt really good (to be trusted as a rider). The staff are professional, knowledgeable, observant, organised, and FUN. We had a great time cracking jokes, engaging in pinecone wars, and forging friendships along the way. The entire trip was wondrously beautiful, peaceful, serene and refreshing. One of the things I felt most relieved about was being disconnected from the world for two entire weeks. No phones, no emails…just pure blissful nature and amazing company.

Thank you Sabine, Keith, Byambaa, Hundugu, Buchu, Nyamaa and Davaa. My father and I had an incredible trip, all because of you.

Date of experience: September 2017

Bianca, thanks for your comments. We try to do our best to make a great and safe trip. All of you on the ride were good riders, which makes traveling in such a group much easier. Really glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

I’ve just recently returned from the 12 day trek in the Khan Khentii mountains with Stone Horse and I am happy to write to you that my experience was excellent on every level. I certainly hope to travel with them again soon.

Although I took Stone Horse’s advice to prepare for the trip by working with horses as consistently as was possible before the trek, I arrived a total novice compared to everyone else. Fortunately, Keith and Sabine were prepared and matched me with a gem of a horse who was both patient and responsive (he was also quite handsome). I was able to improve my riding strength and knowledge considerably in a very short time. It was very satisfying.

It was clear that Stone Horse loves and respects their horses, which was a very important factor for me when deciding to travel with them. Their horses were strong and relaxed, a sure sign of health and care. I miss the loads of contented snorting I heard throughout the trip.

Another aspect I love and deeply respect about Stone Horse is their extensive knowledge about land management and conservation. It is one thing to travel with experienced people who know the land, but quite a bonus when they also protect it.

Keith was unable to come on the trip, so Sabine was our main guide. I adored her and found her to be very intelligent and gracious. I’d follow her anywhere. The camp staff was fantastic - helpful, professional and organized. Food was fresh, healthy and plentiful. Sabine also just sent the group a selection of photos from her photography throughout the trip. It was such a nice surprise!

The pack horses were gangster.

And yes, the wilderness was absolutely magnificent.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Tja-Lot

Tjaden, yes, the horses are "gangster". I love each and everyone of them for their spirit and individual character. They know their jobs and seem to love being out in the wilderness as much as we do. And Wilderness! That's why we do these trips and hope that everyone who joins us takes something back with them...an understanding that we need wilderness and more of it.

Reviewed August 17, 2017

Right from the bat, these guys were very professional in their emails. When we got to Ulaanbaatar, Davaar was a friendly face who put us at ease on our way out the ger stay with Yadmaa and Davaserun. His knowledge of Mongolia is invaluable, and we learned a lot from him.

The ger stay itself is perfect if you're aiming to get a glimpse into a real authentic herdsman life. Our ger was lovely and Yadmaa was always helping us keeping the fire burning. We trekked, ate real Mongolian food, horse rode and even had a go at getting our hands dirty on their farm milking the cows!

The city tour is probably the best way to get to know UB, as it is quite an intimidating city with an overwhelming infrastructure.

Overall, we loved our stay in Mongolia, and we owe our experience to Stone horse - very recommended.

Date of experience: August 2017
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2017

So glad we could help you experience the real Mongolia for the short time you were here. We'll pass on your comments to Yadmaa and Davasuren to let them know you enjoyed the ger stay with their family.

Reviewed August 13, 2017

I have been on horse and hiking treks all over the world and my journey with Stone Horse Expeditions was one of the very best. Keith and Sabine are remarkable people--very committed to wilderness conservation and providing a safe and wonderful experience. Sabine is an extraordinary wilderness guide. Everything from the quality of the food to the locations of our campsites to the sturdiness and training of our horses was exceptional. Doing the conservation work added a positive element to our trip--it was nice to be able to give back, a little, to Mongolia where much help is needed. And I will never forget the days I spent as a "horse nomad", traversing the endless Mongolian countryside. I wasn't quite sure what to expect Mongolia to be like, but it turned out to be one of the best adventures I have ever had.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank 91ALP57
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Anne, thanks for your review. As users of the landscape we strongly feel a responsibility to work closely with park authorities in their conservation efforts and get our guests involved in this work as well. We're very glad you joined us and participated in this activities and that we could also show you the beauty of the area we travel through on horseback. Thanks for your contribution to Mongolia's conservation.