Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $495.00
from $85.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed October 24, 2016

I went on the 8 day Gorkhi Terelj trek in October which was great. I'm not a very experienced rider but the horses were gentle, well behaved and easy to handle so I felt comfortable very quicky. The scenery is amazing too and at night we could hear wolves howling in the distance. The team organised airport pickups and a comfortable hotel before/after the trip which was helpful. They also cooked big breakfasts & dinners at the camp as well as a picnic lunch each day. Tents, sleeping bags, hot water bottles, saddlebags and riding gear are all provided. Please be warned that it can get very cold camping at night, especially this late in the season, so bring lots of warm layers and maybe an extra hot water bottle or five!

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank TheDesertKiwi
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2016

You were a great rider and handled your horse very well. India, it was a pleasure having you along. Join us for another ride anytime.

Reviewed October 23, 2016

Stonehorse enables those who are game for a trek into the beauty of the Mongolian steppe a taste of the horses, dogs, and sturdy people who followed Genghis (here Chinggis) Khan to conquer most of the 13th century civilized world.

Coursing across Gorkhi Terelj's wild magnificence with skilled, highly knowledgeable guides, you'll see places and vistas reachable only by horse or on foot, stunning larch forests, endless open plains and intensely blue skies. The forgiving horses accommodate riders of every experience level. The fabulous staff, Bagii the camp assistant and skilled Mongolian cook on request, and Byamba and Bayara, the two horseman dressed daily in their Mongolian deels to ride and who made setting up and taking down camp simple, and, of course,Stinky, our faithful Mongolian dog--a friend to all who took his work most seriously.

This is a once in a lifetime experience (although some in our group already had two other Stone Horse rides under their belts) and unforgettable. Stone Horse picks you up at the airport and takes you back; they can arrange transportation and tours around Ulaanbaatar if you like. They provide full service visits to Mongolia. Moreover, don't worry about talking your friends into accompanying you. Our tour group was completely assembled by Stone Horse and included guests from Sydney, Singapore, NY City, Washington, DC, and London. Great camaraderie that made for terrific evening conversations.

Finally, Stone Horse pays close attention to a pre-trip survey of food preferences in planning excellent, nutritious meals and even provides a handbook outlining what to expect, how to prepare, and a checklist of what to bring.

An outstanding experience thanks to Stone Horse and Mongolia!

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank DCafficianado

We're so glad we were able to make your riding and travel experience with us a good one. You did well. And hopefully you keep riding back home in D.C.

Reviewed October 19, 2016

I will be honest. I wouldn't consider myself an adventurous or outdoors person, neither am I an experienced horse rider. I confess that my first night sleeping in a cold tent was not a great experience. I was unable to sleep, and by morning I feared that I had made a terrible mistake coming on the trip. I was already imagining more sleepless nights and maybe tumbling off a hill one day in a sleep-deprived state. And by the second last day of riding, my kneecaps were threatening to pop off just so they could catch an earlier flight home.

But I am so glad that I came on this trip, and all other bumbling-city-people-with-no-exercise-regime-whatsoever like me should too. It will be the best, if not one of the best holidays you ever have.

Because when I got myself out of the tent after that terrible first night and joined the rest for breakfast, normality resumed. Stone Horse does a great job of making us feel as safe and comfortable as we could possibly be in the wilderness. The communal meals were a big part of that. Not only were they unbelievably delicious (prepared by the great Sabine -- and sometimes Keith attempts pancakes) but they also meant that my head was usually too full of interesting conversations to worry too much about my own fears and discomfort. In fact, there was plenty of laughter during the trip -- Keith, Sabine, Byambaa, Bayaraa and Bagi all kept us in good spirits whether on or off the horse while never compromising safety.

Adjusting to "camping life" was also easier and easier with each day. And then it became easier and easier to appreciate the blue skies, the rolling hills, the dappled sunlight passing through the forest that I'd only ever read about in books. Not to mention the exhilaration of cantering up a slope, so sure that I'd fall off *this time*, only to somehow manage to hang on anyway. I've realised that maybe urban life tends to label fear and discomfort as "bad", and therefore remove or avoid them totally. But without a healthy dose of fear and discomfort, life really feels quite boring and desensitised.

So, to anyone who is doubtful that this trip is for them, I would say sign up anyway. Don't think about it after that. Have a panic moment a month before the trip because you haven't been thinking about it. Buy a bunch of warm clothes due to said panic, and then go. Have the time of your life!

NB: I have to add a note about the horses, who were amazing. "My" horse was Shine Khuren, also known as New Brownie, also known as Cinnamon or Cinnamon Bun or Cinnabon. It doesn't really matter. He mostly responds to "chu" (what the Mongolians use to tell their horses to go). He was an incredibly intuitive horse - I think he could sense when I was a bit fearful to go too fast, and was okay to hang back at the back of the herd. He was also (I thought) one of the smartest horses at picking his way through a stream or a bog, or even taking the least steep way up or down a slope. But where there's open plains and it's time to run, he was most happy to oblige... then it's just a matter of holding on and hoping he doesn't trip on any mole hills. There's really nothing quite like it. :-) I really wished I could bring "my" horse home!

1  Thank orangeoreos

You did very well on the trip and hopefully learned a lot about Mongolia, horses and your own abilities to ride and improve. It was nice having you along and hope to see you back again next year.

Reviewed October 10, 2016

Ever dreamt of being free, wind in your hair, not a care in the world, running across wide open plains with the sun on your face? That's how it feels to be riding with Stone Horse.

My friends and I recently went for the Gorkhi Terelj 10 Days Tour in late September. This is my second time riding with Stone Horse. This year I rode in a different season. Being autumn, golden larch trees cover the landscapes in the national park. No matter how many times you come back, the scenery that greets you in the Mongolian wilderness will definitely take your breath away.

It was heartwarming to see old friends from Stone Horse this year. Everyone still carried in them their passion for the work they do, and their love for the animals in the team. Sabine and Keith were fantastic hosts. Listening to their stories about their travels and experiences are sure to keep your interests piqued. Byambaa, Bayaraa and Bagii are extremely friendly people to get to know. It was nice coming back this year and see everyone become more familiar with each other. The team's friendliness and excellent hospitality makes you feel as though you are right at home.

This is a land that calls you back, and I am sure I will answer that call over and over.

2  Thank hrypamela

Pam, once again you did great riding along the steppes at a trot, canter and gallup. Your easy going nature fits well with our easy going horses and it's nice to see your riding improve with each day. See you next year!

Reviewed October 9, 2016

First time riding in Mongolia with Stone Horse was an absolute blast! The trip was a unique opportunity to experience combine the love for riding and the great outdoors in one of the most well-kept (still) and breathtaking landscapes. Being a regular rider, I found the horses to be extremely robust with amiable temperaments. This allowed us to enjoy unfettered riding and soak up the scenery as we navigated through all kinds of terrain!

The trip was run with true professionalism. Our team of experienced guides (Sabine, Byambaa, Bayaraa, Bagi) were always alongside to ensure safety (not at the expense of fun of course!), on top of keeping both humans and horses on the trip warm and well-fed. We were provided with quality riding and camping equipment and were constantly impressed with the team's knowledge and resourcefulness throughout the multi-day trek.

The experience has truly been one of a kind; hope to be back!

Date of experience: September 2016

You are a good rider! So glad we could have you along and show you this experience. I hope to see you next year.