Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $495.00
from $85.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed October 19, 2016

I will be honest. I wouldn't consider myself an adventurous or outdoors person, neither am I an experienced horse rider. I confess that my first night sleeping in a cold tent was not a great experience. I was unable to sleep, and by morning I feared that I had made a terrible mistake coming on the trip. I was already imagining more sleepless nights and maybe tumbling off a hill one day in a sleep-deprived state. And by the second last day of riding, my kneecaps were threatening to pop off just so they could catch an earlier flight home.

But I am so glad that I came on this trip, and all other bumbling-city-people-with-no-exercise-regime-whatsoever like me should too. It will be the best, if not one of the best holidays you ever have.

Because when I got myself out of the tent after that terrible first night and joined the rest for breakfast, normality resumed. Stone Horse does a great job of making us feel as safe and comfortable as we could possibly be in the wilderness. The communal meals were a big part of that. Not only were they unbelievably delicious (prepared by the great Sabine -- and sometimes Keith attempts pancakes) but they also meant that my head was usually too full of interesting conversations to worry too much about my own fears and discomfort. In fact, there was plenty of laughter during the trip -- Keith, Sabine, Byambaa, Bayaraa and Bagi all kept us in good spirits whether on or off the horse while never compromising safety.

Adjusting to "camping life" was also easier and easier with each day. And then it became easier and easier to appreciate the blue skies, the rolling hills, the dappled sunlight passing through the forest that I'd only ever read about in books. Not to mention the exhilaration of cantering up a slope, so sure that I'd fall off *this time*, only to somehow manage to hang on anyway. I've realised that maybe urban life tends to label fear and discomfort as "bad", and therefore remove or avoid them totally. But without a healthy dose of fear and discomfort, life really feels quite boring and desensitised.

So, to anyone who is doubtful that this trip is for them, I would say sign up anyway. Don't think about it after that. Have a panic moment a month before the trip because you haven't been thinking about it. Buy a bunch of warm clothes due to said panic, and then go. Have the time of your life!

NB: I have to add a note about the horses, who were amazing. "My" horse was Shine Khuren, also known as New Brownie, also known as Cinnamon or Cinnamon Bun or Cinnabon. It doesn't really matter. He mostly responds to "chu" (what the Mongolians use to tell their horses to go). He was an incredibly intuitive horse - I think he could sense when I was a bit fearful to go too fast, and was okay to hang back at the back of the herd. He was also (I thought) one of the smartest horses at picking his way through a stream or a bog, or even taking the least steep way up or down a slope. But where there's open plains and it's time to run, he was most happy to oblige... then it's just a matter of holding on and hoping he doesn't trip on any mole hills. There's really nothing quite like it. :-) I really wished I could bring "my" horse home!

1  Thank orangeoreos
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2016

You did very well on the trip and hopefully learned a lot about Mongolia, horses and your own abilities to ride and improve. It was nice having you along and hope to see you back again next year.

Reviewed October 10, 2016

Ever dreamt of being free, wind in your hair, not a care in the world, running across wide open plains with the sun on your face? That's how it feels to be riding with Stone Horse.

My friends and I recently went for the Gorkhi Terelj 10 Days Tour in late September. This is my second time riding with Stone Horse. This year I rode in a different season. Being autumn, golden larch trees cover the landscapes in the national park. No matter how many times you come back, the scenery that greets you in the Mongolian wilderness will definitely take your breath away.

It was heartwarming to see old friends from Stone Horse this year. Everyone still carried in them their passion for the work they do, and their love for the animals in the team. Sabine and Keith were fantastic hosts. Listening to their stories about their travels and experiences are sure to keep your interests piqued. Byambaa, Bayaraa and Bagii are extremely friendly people to get to know. It was nice coming back this year and see everyone become more familiar with each other. The team's friendliness and excellent hospitality makes you feel as though you are right at home.

This is a land that calls you back, and I am sure I will answer that call over and over.

2  Thank hrypamela

Pam, once again you did great riding along the steppes at a trot, canter and gallup. Your easy going nature fits well with our easy going horses and it's nice to see your riding improve with each day. See you next year!

Reviewed October 9, 2016

First time riding in Mongolia with Stone Horse was an absolute blast! The trip was a unique opportunity to experience combine the love for riding and the great outdoors in one of the most well-kept (still) and breathtaking landscapes. Being a regular rider, I found the horses to be extremely robust with amiable temperaments. This allowed us to enjoy unfettered riding and soak up the scenery as we navigated through all kinds of terrain!

The trip was run with true professionalism. Our team of experienced guides (Sabine, Byambaa, Bayaraa, Bagi) were always alongside to ensure safety (not at the expense of fun of course!), on top of keeping both humans and horses on the trip warm and well-fed. We were provided with quality riding and camping equipment and were constantly impressed with the team's knowledge and resourcefulness throughout the multi-day trek.

The experience has truly been one of a kind; hope to be back!

Date of experience: September 2016

You are a good rider! So glad we could have you along and show you this experience. I hope to see you next year.

Reviewed October 7, 2016

Enjoyed the 3D2N stays at the ger with Yaadma and Davasun. Not the best in term of room comfort and food, but we do enjoy the stay, horse riding experience and farm style living.

Thanks Ganchimeg for the great service, including booking of the train ticket to Beijing.

Date of experience: September 2016

Thanks for your comments. I'll pass those on to Yadmaa and Davasuren as well. They do their best to make our Train to Ger travelers feel welcome and are well fed. Glad you liked the experience.

Reviewed October 4, 2016

My friends and I went on the ten day trip in September - that's eight days riding. This is my third time in Mongolia riding with Stone Horse, and each trip just gets better and better. Autumn in Mongolia is absolutely beautiful - the golden larch leaves contrasting the long green grasses that the horses so love to eat.

Sabine, Byambaa, Bayaraa and the rest of the Stone Horse team (the four-legged team members) were amazing as always. I will always be blown away by the wonderful hospitality shown by Stone Horse (not to mention the fantastic food that Sabine always manages to cook for us!).

Nothing quite compares to riding into the open steppes, wind in your hair and the sun (sometimes) on your back, golden eagles and falcons calling above your head, under a bright blue sky. I am sure I will return to this country again and again.

Date of experience: September 2016

It was really nice to have you back again for the 3rd time. Your horse riding is so much improved from that of 2 years ago. So much more relaxed and in control of Jerry...or in tune with Jerry I should say. We'll see you next year.