Review Highlights
Serene!

As inexperienced riders, we spent a couple of days on horses and the Ger stay. It was an excellent... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2018
bernie k
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
The Gobi Crossing - 10 days (Late Oct to early Nov)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this is my fifth time in Mongolia with Stone... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
YLLee89
Singapore, Singapore

Recommended experiences in and around Ulaanbaatar
from $3,050.00
from $495.00
from $85.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay brownie riding experience gorkhi terelj national park hot water bottles horse riding pack trip city tour day trip local communities full disclosure an experienced rider wonderful horses conservation work dining tent learn how an unforgettable experience
Reviewed June 9, 2015

I read lots of amazing reviews before deciding to book with Stone Horse the "train to ger stay" and therefore my expectation was high. Despite that, I was so pleased with my experience and it was way far beyond my expectation.
Due to late night arrival into Ulaanbaatar on my first day, I was put up to stay in a guesthouse. It was clean and comfy enough for a one-night stay although there was actually no hot shower. But it was ok. You wouldnt expect that much from a guesthouse in Mongolia, right?
I departed to the ger stay on the second day and stayed for two nights. I was greatly taken care by Yadmaa and Davasuren.
They are a real herder family and the nature was so stunning that I could relax on my own and refresh myself from daily busy work. The home-cooked food was so delicious too.
I even rode a horse, milked a cow and followed Yadmaa to experience the herder life on a horse at night. It was truly an authentic and unforgettable experience. I was even lucky enough to meet Keith, the owner of the company, and we had a nice chat about the company and the tour.
On the last day, I had the city tour and concert before going to the airport. My guide Davaa speaks very good English and he is super friendly, humorous and knowledgeable about Mongolia. We interacted a lot about Mongolia's political, social and economic side. He was also very interested to know more about the place I stayed. So, instead of thinking it as a tour, it may be more appropriate to regard it as a local interaction session. I enjoyed my time so much with Davaa.
If you are looking for an authentic, enjoyable and all-round experience in Mongolia, I would highly recommend you to go with Stonehorse.
Thank you Stonehorse for this amazing journey.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank PurinAirways
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2015

I'm really glad we were the place to come to when you wanted to "chill out" and be away from it all. This is definitely the place to do that and get away from a hectic demanding job. It is so quiet here and with no wifi, mobile or internet, you can relax and forget about the world. It was nice having you.

Reviewed May 17, 2015

Me and my father visited Stonehorse Mongolia for 2 full days on our Trans Siberian railway journey in May 2015.

The stay was one of our highlights on the trip and I had done lots of reasearch before deciding to go with Stonehorse Mongolia.

Keith, his wife and their lovely team made sure to fullfill every expectaion we had. The staging are was situated just over an hour outside of Ulaanbaatar and even if it was quite close to the city, the nature was fenomenal.

Stonehorse Mongolia has their own horses, 24 of them, and they are all very well looked after. Sabine, Keiths wife, have custom made all the sadles and they were very comfortable. The horses was energetic but safe and very nice tempered. Both me and my dad felt we got suitable horses, even if we were at different riding levels. On day one we got ride in to the nationalpark and were out for the full day. The nature is spectacular! On day two we rode up in the mountains. We spent most of the days on the horses and Sabine had organized a lovely picknick for us that we shared.

The horses had their staging are with a local herding couple and we stayed in the guest gher for the night. It was the genuine experience and we had the best time. Roaming cattle everywhere, traditional food and lovely people.

Additional to the stay which was superb in every way, Keith and his team made sure to look after us before and after the trip. They helped with picking up train tickets, getting us from the train / hotel etc. We truly felt like we were welcome and in safe hands! There is absoultely nothing to complain about.

I have already started looking at when we can come back, and then we will stay for at least 10 days! There is no doubt that Stonehorse Mongolia will be my choice for tour operator.

Date of experience: May 2015
4  Thank carolinajenny

We're glad we could make your train journey and stop in Mongolia memorable. Helping to make your father's 40 year old wish to travel the trans-Siberian railway and then ride horses in Mongolia, come true, was very gratifying for us as well. We were glad to be part of it. Hope we see you and your sister back here sometime in the future for a longer ride.

Reviewed April 10, 2015

Thanks to Stone Horse and their team we had an amazing time in Mongolia! Yadmaa, Davasuren and Byamba took great care of us, letting us share their everyday life and going horse back riding with us. We can't wait to go back and will definitely contact them if we do!

Date of experience: March 2015
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2015

We're happy you liked your stay and will pass it on to Yadmaa and Davasuren. Look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed March 11, 2015

I've just finished spending a few days with Yadmaa and Davaasuren at their home about 45 km outside of Ulan Bator. Let me say first that this was truly a wonderful experience due to the nature of all of the folks involved. Yamaha and Davaasuren are warm, caring, curious, and attentive to the experiences that their guests are having. Everyone that I met on their farm seemed similarly disposed. Davaa, who provided my transportation to and from the airport was also a joy to be around, and instantly made me feel welcome to Mongolia. Additionally, all of my interactions with Stone Horse were professional: communications were prompt and clear, and prices were very fair. Keith provided me with just what I was looking for given my short window of a few days time to spend outside of the city and with a local family. So many parts of these few days reminded me of my 10 years in interior Alaska. Many people would find it shocking how comfortable and "normal" your routine can be without running water or electricity!
Highlights of my few days included the amazing home cooked meals (traditional stews, dumplings, milk-tea, pickled salads, and maybe even a shot or two of Mongolian vodka), riding the horses up into the mountains at the head of the valley near the border of the national park, experiencing life on a working farm that includes horses, cattle, goats, sheep, and some wonderful herding dogs. And of course, the really unique aspect of staying in a ger. I can highly recommend this as a winter experience too. Temperatures were at -10 F my first night there, with a lovely bit of fresh snow the next day. The ger is easy to keep comfortably warm with a supply of wood for the wood stove, and water for washing is always provided, as well as hot water for tea, and toilet paper for trips to the outhouse. (If you've never used an outhouse before, don't worry...it's no big deal.) There is a light in the ger which runs off of a car battery.
I've done a lot of travel over the last 30 years, and I almost never find myself doing "tours". This experience will be one of my fondest travel memories. I did not feel like a tourist, more like a guest. Thanks for the opportunity Keith! And thanks for the great chat over a cup of coffee. I am happy to give my business to Stone Horse knowing that it is helping to support local families. And congratulations on your good work to support local watershed preservation and improvements for the herder community. Cheers!

Date of experience: March 2015
2  Thank TMSeattler
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2015

It's always a pleasure to have a seasoned traveler and a person of your experience visit Mongolia and join our Ger Stay trip. Yadmaa and Davasuren really enjoyed having you visit with them and I enjoyed our talk over a coffee in UB. Come back anytime.

Reviewed January 9, 2015

My wife and I in September last year did a 14 day horse trek through the Khenitti Mountains with Sabine and Keith and the crew. The organization, food, scenery was outstanding. The saddles that Sabine made where most likely the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in and it is a credit to Sabine's saddle making and she is also an amazing cook with what she has to work with. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to Keith along the way about Mongolia and all things. We wish them all the best for the future to all the crew and the other companions on our trip help made the trip enjoyable. Steve, Arrie, Dianne all the Best.

Simon and Judy

Date of experience: September 2014
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2015

That was a really great trip with all you guys. The weather, we had it all, sunny and rainy days, hot and cold and a bit of a snow storm in the night. That day at the lake though was beautiful! Very impressed with your relaxed riding ability and experience. Hope to see you back again. It was a lot of fun having you on that trip.