Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours
from $2,025.00
More Info
All reviews ger stay gorkhi terelj national park horse riding well taken care inexperienced riders sore muscles city tour gobi keith horses adventure gear accommodation gers communication outfit itinerary
Selected filters
Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is the second time in 2 years that we are riding with Stone Horse (which just goes to show how much we enjoyed our trip last year!). We had the same horses as last year, and it was like meeting up with old friends again, from Keith and Sabine to Dolzoo, Byambaa, Byuanaa and our horses. My horse, Brownie, seemed to recognize me from last year and we had a great time together as we flew across endless meadows and hung out.

I now have so many more great memories that I can add to last year's ones. Galloping for the first time, little stories about Brownie (There was this one time I mistook another brown horse for him, went to the other horse with my saddle bags and then saw that he had stopped eating grass and was staring at me across the meadow with a priceless look on his face - it cracked me up!).

We chose to go back to Mongolia because it's really a land made for riding, with huge open spaces, rolling meadows and the lack of other human beings. And riding in Mongolia, we cannot imagine going with anyone else but Stone Horse. The equipment is top-notch, the horses are well cared for and every meal is delicious.

Stone Horse calls this trip an expedition and it sure is. This year, there was epic flooding and we discovered that our camp site was going to flood and had to move quickly. It was exciting. I went around using the word "evacuate" as often as I could. We were never in any real danger and it's one of those stories you tell all your friends about even a long time later. But for people expecting a luxurious Four Seasons glamping experience or a Disney Land nose-to-tail ride, this isn't the trip for you. And if you book a trip and show up without bothering to find out more first or ignore the packing list given, then you probably wouldn't have much fun and would even affect the others. But if you love horses, love dogs (I love you Stinky), are sensible, adventurous and want to ride in beautiful open country, go book a trip with Stone Horse now!!

2  Thank Julie0870
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2014

It was great having you guys back for a second year and with the added adventure of nature pouring down on us and throwing up a few challenges to the horse travel. Now you're ready for the longer more challenging 14 Day Khentii Mountains trip. You have the experience and ability to ride anywhere now.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had a really wonderful time. The family was gracious and kind. No English spoken but we made do. The food was limited but tasty and wholesome. The setting was gorgeous, horseback riding was fun. I also got to milk cows and assist in the slaughtering of a sheep (don't let that put you off - they were discreet about it so you didn't have to witness it if you didn't want to). Excellent hiking nearby. Things to bring with you? tea or instant coffee, drinking water, toilet paper and sani-wipes since there is no bathing facility, reading material, and ear plugs if you're a light sleeper (the dogs barked all night, one night, but I suppose that's their job and I did see a wolf when I was there). The driver, Dava is fantastic: kind, informative and proud of his country - a real pleasure to deal with and he added so much value to the experience. The city tour and cultural performance were also top drawer. The one and only criticism I have is the accommodations we had in Ulaan Baatar: after spending two days in a ger, it was a real disappointment to arrive in UB and have to stay at a random apartment with no amenities (ie no front desk, graffiti and garbage in the hallways of the building, sketchy drunk teenagers loitering outside, plus bedding was not supplied until after 21:00 - I never really felt safe here and people were in the apartment at least twice during our absence with no safe provided for your valuables). If I were to return I would do this tour again in a heartbeat but find my own accommodations as this was not really a "guesthouse" but more like an AirBNB nightmare.

Date of experience: July 2014
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thanks for your comments Laura. Yes, it is a real herder family ger stay and not a commercial ger camp. This is the way most people in the countryside live in contemporary Mongolia...dogs and all. As for the city guest house experience, as a company, this is one of our biggest headaches, finding guest houses that are within budget travelers needs, yet have above average standards of cleanliness, price and security. We have taken up your comments with the guesthouse owners to, 1) voice our concerns about their standards and make them aware of the situation and not put guests in other accommodation when their main guesthouse is full, and 2) to help them improve their service and provide what budget travelers need to feel safe and comfortable when staying in Ulaanbaatar. Tourism as such, is still relatively new in Mongolia and taking in visitors seeking lower cost accommodation is a way for city families and small business to take advantage of this opportunity. This is not an excuse, it's just fact. Helping guesthouse owners understand tourists needs to improve their services and making them better for travelers is what we're trying to do. We'll try harder. Any suggestions from travelers to help with that is welcome.

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My mum and I recently finished an 8 day trek (in June) and we are already missing it! My mum has wanted to horse trek in Mongolia for almost 10 years so we were both a little nervous about it living up to our hopes and expectations, but in fact it surpassed them. We both have minimal riding experience but by day 3 we were enjoying a canter and gallop across the most incredible scenery with the two best guides we could have possibly had, on the most responsive and lovely horse I've ever ridden. Oh and the food was fantastic, the sleeping bags (and hot water bottles) warm, the tents spacious, and the atmosphere fun and relaxed. We seriously cannot fault them - if you like horseriding, camping and/or beautiful places, go with Stonehorse!

Date of experience: June 2014
Thank 29rwilliams .

You guys can come back anytime...and bring some friends. It was a pleasure having you along on that trip. Both you and your Mum were so relaxed around the horses making them easy and responsive. It was also great watching you two just have fun on Brownie and Little Big Man over the course of the trip. Hope to see you back again sometime.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I just finished the July 1-10 Gorki-Terelj trip. It was an amazing trip. From the start Keith was great about answering all of my questions. Upon arrival, Keith met with us in UB to go over trip details. Keith had also provided a packing list which was very helpful. Listen to his recommendations! The horses are great and Keith and Sabine will make sure you have a horse that is a good fit. Overall, I can't recommend the trip enough. I am going to try and convince all of my friends to go!

Date of experience: July 2014

Lisa, It was a pleasure having you and Amy along on the trip and share some of the adventure with you. When you come back next autumn for one of our colorful fall trips, yes, do bring all of your friends, that would be great. We'll look forward to that!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

From start to finish, the Stone Horse Team were very efficient and responsive. They answered all my questions promptly with care and hospitality. Everything went to plan from being met at the airport, to a lovely hotel in Ulaanbaatar and a surprise visit to a Mongolian Theatre on the first night. I found SH by accident on the internet. I ventured alone from Australia. I liked the idea of a small group and appreciated their consideration of my senior years and lack of recent horse riding experience. The horses were fantastic. Sure footed, well behaved and obviously loved. Tseerd, my steed, was an absolute gentleman. Scenery spectacular (the wildflowers are to die for), food excellent (I'm a Vegetarian), camping sites well positioned. Our Ger Stay was great and all the Mongolians fabulously welcoming. Only two negatives. The weather was not at its best and my saddle not comfortable. It was Western and new. Give me an Aussie Stock Saddle any day particularly as more trotting was involved than I had anticipated - LOL. All in all people, you have to put this on your "To Do" list. The tour is great value and Mongolia a very special place to visit deserving of our patronage. SH even took pictures on the way. I have 217 of them in my Dropbox! And what's more, they have stayed in touch making sure I am ok. I will go again but might take a sheepskin for the saddle LOL.

Date of experience: June 2014

Glad to see you're back in Australia Nicki and fighting those fires. We've got a few more Aussies coming this way for our Autumn rides. They're preparing now, working those muscles to get them fit for some days in the saddle. I'll let Tseerd know you're thinking of him.