“Best horse expedition on offer in Mongolia”

Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Stone Horse Expeditions undertakes unique horse trips through pristine cultural and wilderness landscapes. 30+ years of wilderness expedition and guiding experience. Small group size (6 guests max.), high quality, eco-friendly 8,10 and 14 day horse trekking adventures through two of Mongolia's premier wilderness parks. "Train to Ger" 3 and 4 day herder family ger stay and multi-day Gobi Desert tours.
Reviewed September 2, 2014

From the off, Stone Horse hospitality, efficiency and actual expeditions are head and shoulders above anything similar in Mongolia. The staff know what they are doing and are interesting and good fun. They have horses for all riding experience levels; all have a sense of humour. The equipment (including the amazingly comfortable and beautiful handmade saddles) are second to none and the food deserves a Michelin star in camping cuisine.

The Khentii mountains expedition is incredible and goes through scenery most will only ever see in National Geographic. It is truly wild and seeing no other faces except those that you are with, leaves you feeling refreshed and relaxed.

I can’t stress how good this trip and to anybody reading this, GO! Its unlike anything else on offer and against awe-inspiring scenery, you will meet some great people and remarkable horses.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank Sarah C
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2014

Sarah, that was a good trip. We never get tired of the scenery and are always amazed by it's beauty. It's nice to share it with people who appreciate nature in its finest and great to have you along for the ride.

All reviews
"ger stay"
in 26 reviews
"brownie"
in 10 reviews
"riding experience"
in 11 reviews
"gorkhi terelj national park"
in 16 reviews
"wonderful horses"
"conservation work"
"dining tent"

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is the second time in 2 years that we are riding with Stone Horse (which just goes to show how much we enjoyed our trip last year!). We had the same horses as last year, and it was like meeting up with old friends again, from Keith and Sabine to Dolzoo, Byambaa, Byuanaa and our horses. My horse, Brownie, seemed to recognize me from last year and we had a great time together as we flew across endless meadows and hung out.

I now have so many more great memories that I can add to last year's ones. Galloping for the first time, little stories about Brownie (There was this one time I mistook another brown horse for him, went to the other horse with my saddle bags and then saw that he had stopped eating grass and was staring at me across the meadow with a priceless look on his face - it cracked me up!).

We chose to go back to Mongolia because it's really a land made for riding, with huge open spaces, rolling meadows and the lack of other human beings. And riding in Mongolia, we cannot imagine going with anyone else but Stone Horse. The equipment is top-notch, the horses are well cared for and every meal is delicious.

Stone Horse calls this trip an expedition and it sure is. This year, there was epic flooding and we discovered that our camp site was going to flood and had to move quickly. It was exciting. I went around using the word "evacuate" as often as I could. We were never in any real danger and it's one of those stories you tell all your friends about even a long time later. But for people expecting a luxurious Four Seasons glamping experience or a Disney Land nose-to-tail ride, this isn't the trip for you. And if you book a trip and show up without bothering to find out more first or ignore the packing list given, then you probably wouldn't have much fun and would even affect the others. But if you love horses, love dogs (I love you Stinky), are sensible, adventurous and want to ride in beautiful open country, go book a trip with Stone Horse now!!

2  Thank Julie0870

It was great having you guys back for a second year and with the added adventure of nature pouring down on us and throwing up a few challenges to the horse travel. Now you're ready for the longer more challenging 14 Day Khentii Mountains trip. You have the experience and ability to ride anywhere now.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had a really wonderful time. The family was gracious and kind. No English spoken but we made do. The food was limited but tasty and wholesome. The setting was gorgeous, horseback riding was fun. I also got to milk cows and assist in the slaughtering of a sheep (don't let that put you off - they were discreet about it so you didn't have to witness it if you didn't want to). Excellent hiking nearby. Things to bring with you? tea or instant coffee, drinking water, toilet paper and sani-wipes since there is no bathing facility, reading material, and ear plugs if you're a light sleeper (the dogs barked all night, one night, but I suppose that's their job and I did see a wolf when I was there). The driver, Dava is fantastic: kind, informative and proud of his country - a real pleasure to deal with and he added so much value to the experience. The city tour and cultural performance were also top drawer. The one and only criticism I have is the accommodations we had in Ulaan Baatar: after spending two days in a ger, it was a real disappointment to arrive in UB and have to stay at a random apartment with no amenities (ie no front desk, graffiti and garbage in the hallways of the building, sketchy drunk teenagers loitering outside, plus bedding was not supplied until after 21:00 - I never really felt safe here and people were in the apartment at least twice during our absence with no safe provided for your valuables). If I were to return I would do this tour again in a heartbeat but find my own accommodations as this was not really a "guesthouse" but more like an AirBNB nightmare.

Date of experience: July 2014
Keith S, Owner at Stone Horse Expeditions & Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thanks for your comments Laura. Yes, it is a real herder family ger stay and not a commercial ger camp. This is the way most people in the countryside live in contemporary Mongolia...dogs and all. As for the city guest house experience, as a company, this is one of our biggest headaches, finding guest houses that are within budget travelers needs, yet have above average standards of cleanliness, price and security. We have taken up your comments with the guesthouse owners to, 1) voice our concerns about their standards and make them aware of the situation and not put guests in other accommodation when their main guesthouse is full, and 2) to help them improve their service and provide what budget travelers need to feel safe and comfortable when staying in Ulaanbaatar. Tourism as such, is still relatively new in Mongolia and taking in visitors seeking lower cost accommodation is a way for city families and small business to take advantage of this opportunity. This is not an excuse, it's just fact. Helping guesthouse owners understand tourists needs to improve their services and making them better for travelers is what we're trying to do. We'll try harder. Any suggestions from travelers to help with that is welcome.

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My mum and I recently finished an 8 day trek (in June) and we are already missing it! My mum has wanted to horse trek in Mongolia for almost 10 years so we were both a little nervous about it living up to our hopes and expectations, but in fact it surpassed them. We both have minimal riding experience but by day 3 we were enjoying a canter and gallop across the most incredible scenery with the two best guides we could have possibly had, on the most responsive and lovely horse I've ever ridden. Oh and the food was fantastic, the sleeping bags (and hot water bottles) warm, the tents spacious, and the atmosphere fun and relaxed. We seriously cannot fault them - if you like horseriding, camping and/or beautiful places, go with Stonehorse!

Date of experience: June 2014
Thank 29rwilliams .

You guys can come back anytime...and bring some friends. It was a pleasure having you along on that trip. Both you and your Mum were so relaxed around the horses making them easy and responsive. It was also great watching you two just have fun on Brownie and Little Big Man over the course of the trip. Hope to see you back again sometime.