“Enough water for half a shower wasn't what I was looking for”
Review of Hotel Tsogmar

Hotel Tsogmar
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ulaanbaatar
Hotel Tsogmar
Ranked #56 of 90 Ulaanbaatar B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Enough water for half a shower wasn't what I was looking for”
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I stayed in the Tsogmar as part of a trip from London to Beijing on the trans-Mongolian express. After many nights sleeping on trains, I was looking forward to a bed that didn't move. That much, the Tsogmar was able to provide.

My room was on an upper floor of the hotel, but unfortunately, there was no lift and so I had to lug my bag up several long flights of stairs (one of my party, on the way out, unfortunately managed to do their ankle in on those same stairs).

The room itself was pink and plain - desk, twin beds, television on a bracket bolted to the wall and an en-suite bathroom. Location wasn't ideal - although close to the main square, the hotel was down a dark alley in a less than pleasant neighbourhood. The lack of street lighting combined with huge potholes you could quite easily lose a grown adult down did mean that getting back to the hotel after dinner and a few drinks was a fun challenge if nothing else!

We were departing on a train early the next morning, and so I arose early to have a shower. Unfortunately, a trickle of brown cold water was all the shower felt up to and, a couple of seconds into my shower (just when I was covered from head to toe in soap), a groaning clanking noise was followed by the water stopping completely. Ultimately, I had a rather bizarre shower with a bottle of sparkling mineral water I happened to have.

Breakfast was an unusual combination of breads, cheeses and pastries, but was entirely edible (and preferable to train food!). I didn't select this hotel and, were I returning to Mongolia, wouldn't select it again. However, as a place to stay a night - and an alternative to a train carriage - it just about did the trick, lack of shower water notwithstanding!

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Mark R

Travelers are raving about these Ulaanbaatar hotels

1 review from our community