“A truly Mongolian experience”

GER to GER Mongolia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: GO LOCAL, GIVE LOCAL - 1000s traveled safely across Mongolia for 13+ years. GER to GER is National Geographic Society's Washington DC Certified Geotourism Ambassador (2010)/AWARDED Ministry’s Medal of Honor: 1) Packaged Geotourism Trips; all inclusive. 2) Humanitarian Geotourism Adventures (100% Community Based) with nomadic families who earn 80% - 3 meals a day; a nomadic ger; nomadic guides, horses, etc. Operationally GER to GER fulfills all the UN's SDGs: SDG 1 – NO POVERTY SDG 2 – ZERO HUNGER SDG 3 – GOOD HEALTH AND WELL-BEING SDG 4 – QUALITY EDUCATION SDG 5 – GENDER EQUALITY SDG 6 – CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION SDG 7 – AFFORDABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY SDG 8 – DECENT WORK AND ECONOMIC GROWTH SDG 9 – INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE SDG 10 – REDUCE INEQUALITIES\ SDG 11 – SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES SDG 12 – RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION SDG 13 – CLIMATE ACTION SDG 14 – LIFE BELOW WATER SDG 15 – LIFE ON LAND SDG 16 – PEACE, JUSTICE, STRONG INSTITUTIONS SDG 17
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed June 27, 2018

If you want to get an idea of what traditional life in Mongolia is like while also staying off the beaten track, this is the place to book a tour. I did a three day tour in the Middle Gobi region and a 6-day tour in Bulgan Province. I stayed in Mongolia near the end of april, which is a good time temperature-wise. Both tours greatly exceeded my expectations, as did the service provided by GerToGer.

GerToGer's humanitarian eco-tourism is very different from most other tour agencies, which are often aimed at profits at the expense of the people you'd visit. GerToGer does the opposite: the money you pay goes directly to the families you visit, allowing them to maintain their traditional lifestyle in modern Mongolia. Additionally, a tour includes an introductory lesson on what it means to be a humanitarian, including tips and tricks of great use when entering Mongolian nomads' lives (although I failed to apply the 'how to stay on your bolting horse'-tip).

Then the tour itself. Both times I visited several families, travelling from one to the other roughly once ever day and a half. During the day I would try to help out around the ger the best I could, rarely feeling useless: these people can use your help even though they are not used to having european giants around. I was well taken care of, despite a huge language barrier (most families I visited didn't speak any English) that made it difficult express what I wanted or didn't want.

There was also time for a daily trip to beautiful view points, monasteries, sand dunes and lakes, to which we would travel either on horse- or camelback, on foot or by motorbike.

I thoroughly enjoyed staying with these people and want to thank GerToGer. These tours were the best combination of feeling safe (knowing you can always call them in case of emergency) and experiencing something real and unique. Definitely a highlight of my travels, you can't miss this if youre visiting Mongolia!

2  Thank RutgerG10
All reviews
"nomadic family"
"humanitarian"
"life"
"tour"
"mongolia"

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

If you are thinking to take a tour in Mongolia this is the place to shop. Forget about all other agencies that offer traditional touristic tours with a English speaking guide, sleeping in tourost camps, etc.
Ger to Ger will place you in real nomadic family without a tour guide so you will be on your own, sleeping in real gers with family, eating with family etc.
I took 2 humanitarian tours (Dairy and Gobi) and no doubt one of my best experiences in my life.

Thanks to Ger to Ger team

2  Thank rastikus
Reviewed June 13, 2018

My dad and I went for the 6D nomadic homestay tour. We got an opportunity to experience living the actual nomadic life, interacting with the local community, observing and learning about their culture. We witness a cow giving birth, the locals killing a goat and preparing it for dinner, a dog ripping off another dog's fur to defend itself and us! toileting in nature and riding horses across the beautiful terrain. The most wonderful thing about this trip is being able to experience their culture. It is something that I will never forget! Ger to Ger has been awesome, they ensured our safety and made sure we had our essentials. The briefing for the trip was really useful and we will definitely join them again when we are back! We highly recommend Ger to Ger:)

2  Thank Vanesyy
Reviewed May 22, 2018 via mobile

I had an amazing experience with Ger to Ger! My friends and I did the winter desert travel, and we had a blast staying with 3 traditional Mongolian families. We had the opportunity to participate in their daily chores (such as goat milking and herding) and we got to see some amazing sights via horse and camel. Just seeing the amount of work these families do in order to produce meat and dairy products made me realized how valuable animal products are. Ger to Ger gave us all of the tools needed to have a great time with these families, and I would easily do another trip with them!

2  Thank kevin8988
See more reviews
Reviewed May 18, 2018 via mobile

We spent a week out in Bulgan province with ger to ger and had a fantastic time, learned a lot (after getting up at 5am to help milk goats I will never again waste a drop of milk) got to experience a part of the nomadic lifestyle that wasn't catered to tourists which was exactly what we were looking for. Staff was very helpful, we felt as prepared as could be given our limited (nonexistent) mongolian language skills, amd ended up really getting a lot oUT of the trip. As long as you go into it with the mindset that you're there to learn and not get waited on hand and foot, it's 110% worth it.

2  Thank Sarah M