“High quality ingredients - very good food”
Review of Sakura Restaurant

Sakura Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 298 Restaurants in Ulaanbaatar
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Japanese restaurant Sakura and Teppanyaki is not anymore affiliated since January 2014 with Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace. The restaurant is affiliated with Tavan Bogd Washoku. Thank you very much Frank Prasmo General Manager Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace, Ulaanbaatar
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“High quality ingredients - very good food”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Every time we are at a loss of a nice place to eat in Ulaanbaatar, the two Sakura restaurants in the Kempinski hotel become the default choice. Sakura grill has seating at the grill or in private rooms. The other Sakura offers table seating or private rooms with Japanese seating. Service is good. But what sets this restaurant apart is the quality of meat and seafood. Most of the seafood is brought in from Japan. The beef is from Australia. And more recently we have also sampled Wagyu beef from Japan.

To us, these two restaurants are the best places to eat in this city. They do not have a view. The seating is simple. Service is quick and friendly.

• Visited March 2012
5 Thank AJNJ-Roaming

ub
“authentic japanese cuisine”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

they have s japanese chef and food is real japanese, but prices are very reasonable. The oldest and most popular japanese restaurant.

3 Thank hulan d
“Sakura Restaurant”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The food here was adequate and the service better than average for Ulaanbaatar, but if your looking for great Japanese food, this is not the place to go.

1 Thank traveler_8888888
San Francisco
“Surprisingly good sushi”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Seeing as Mongolia is completely land-locked, it is funny that sakura exists, and it's even more surprising that it is actually quite good.

The food is a little bit on the expensive side (be prepared to spend about 35,000-50,000 T), but if you are craving something refreshing, it might be worth it.

My two friends and I shared their set meal, and added a plate of teriyake chicken. The set meal comes with a bunch of small stuff, but the sashimi and their sashimi-type salad were the best. The teriyaki chicken is not the best (fatty cut of chicken).

I'm not a huge fan of their claustrophobic little rooms, however (so you have to hit that little service button on the table whenever you need something). But if you like your privacy, I guess this would be the perfect place.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Alilu007
Durango, Colorado
“An oasis”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were in Mongolia for nearly a week, staying in what may be the worst hotel in UlaanBaatar. In a fit of desperation, we walked all the way down to the Kempinsky hotel to see what their room rates were like. We figured we deserved a really great room after staying in such lousy ones. It turns out the rooms were more expensive than the Atlantis Resort in Dubai, so we passed. But, we were starving, so we stepped into the Sakura restaurant in the hotel.

To our great surprise, the food was some of the best Japanese food we've ever eaten. I can say with certainty that my order of nigiri sushi was in fact the best I've ever had. The rest of my family loved their meals as much as I did.

Because this is Mongolia and everyone smokes everywhere, I strongly recommend getting a private room for your meal. It only adds a few bucks, and even if you're not trying to escape cigarette smoke, it certainly adds to the enjoyment of the meal.

How a restaurant of this caliber found its way into the middle of the restaurant wasteland that is UlaanBataar, I have no idea, but it really was an oasis for our family. I highly recommend stopping by if you get the chance.

• Visited June 2011