“The best orbit for your family feast”

BD's Mongolian Barbeque
Ranked #14 of 298 Restaurants in Ulaanbaatar
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mongolian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“The best orbit for your family feast”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have celebrated the birthday of my daughter and had a lot of fun there. There is a wide choice of food for everyone and if you do not want to eat the ready food, help yourself and the chefs will prepare you a barbecue of your own choice! My kids were amazed watching the chef playing with swords and making show while he was preparing grill barbecue. A good choice of drinks and very well trained staff with funny slogans on their T-shirts (Kiss Me, I am Mongolian!) will keep your mood on a high level. And at the end my daughter was so happy as she has received a piece of cake with a candle as a complimentary gift from the restaurant with a Happy Birthday song!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Alyor K

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
S.Korea
“An American chain doing well in UB”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Glad to see American businesses are doing well in Mongolia. We have a couple of restaurants from this chain in Columbus, Ohio. Since the restaurant works with tour groups to get them to end their tour day here to eat, it can be VERY crowded, and you can wait a long time to get your meal cooked, or find that foods you wanted to try have all been eaten, and you have to hope they'll be replenished. Since the meal was part of my tour, I don't know what it costs, but frankly I wouldn't go here on my own, especially at the end of the day when the tour buses pull up and dump off 20+ people at a go. Unless you like crowds and fighting for your food. What I had was OK, but there was no horse meat here (as in a REAL Mongolian BBQ) and the lamb tasted quite muttony.

Visited August 2012
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A great choice”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Went there a couple of nights ago with 15 members of my Mongolian family. We all loved it. Despite some other reports that the place is full of tourists, I got the distinct impression that I was the only non-Mongolian there!

Because we were celebrating my wife's birthday, we had a private room for our group. But of course all the BBQ food and cooking was in the main area adjacent to our room. There was an excellent selection of Mongolian food that my fellow diners assured me was excellent. But having dined on mainly Ongolian food for more than the previos two weeks, I chose the "watch your own recipe being cooked" options - 4 times! All the usual meats, vegetables, sauces and spices, plus a few new ones made for some interesting and very tasty selections. The guy doing all the cooking was a real showman - watching him crack open and griddle eggs using long tonges was an amazing sight to behold.

Even with vast amounts of beer, vodka and various cocktails consumed (the Mongolians do like to celebrate!), my bill for the evening was still reasonable at under 500,000 MNT.

Havertown, Pennsylvania
“vegetarian's delight”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Being a gluten-free vegetarian, it wasn't easy to find meals without meat and or noodles/dumplings. This is a great place to get a vegetable stir fry. They also have hot vegetable mixes and fruit salad

Visited September 2012
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“Tourist trap for captive audiences”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The only Mongolian aspect of this restaurant is that its located in Mongolia.How has this place survived? There appears to be some sort of arrangement with tour operators. Lunch and dinner like clock work there are big buses out front with herds of tourists pouring in.

Wanting to see what the hoopla was I decided to check it out. It is similar to any "Mongolian BBQ" you will find in North American malls. Its the Olive Garden of Mongolian food. My kids enjoyed it, its suitable for families.

I find it mind boggling that this place survived as long as it has. With so many other better options available on Seoul street and vicinity.

• Visited September 2012