“Best in town”

Ranked #2 of 59 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
Germany
“Best in town”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

As I had several days off from work in Beijing,I decided to escape the Chinese New Year and visited therefore Mongolia. I stayed couple of days at the Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace and I was very amazed by the service provided from all staff members including the General Manager. The staff really goes the extra mile of service with a smile. Amazing! It is hard to find this in Beijing. Rooms are big and have enough space, toilets are tip top clean with state of art wash-lets from Toto. Culinary wise I recommend the Khara Khorum restaurant who provides a wide range of traditional flavor.

Room Tip: As for a room room facing the east side on a higher floor. From there you can see amazing sunrises.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank platinumhorse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the Kempinski hotel on the recommendation of our friends in Ulaanbaatar who we were visiting for the Lunar New Year celebrations and were very happy with our choice of hotel. The room was rather spacious, with all necessary amenities and more toiletries in the bathroom than most hotels would typically provide nowadays. The staff were all amazing: form the reception to the breakfast room to the bar downstairs. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast, which was included in the room price, was excellent, with a wide choice of cooked and cold breakfast items and more. I cannot say enough about the hospitality and friendliness of the management as well who went out of their way to make sure we had a very comfortable stay and were prvideded with as much information and assistance as possible so that we could enjoy our stay! If we ever go back to UB, we would most certainly stay at the Kempinski again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RKP624
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a very good hotel for "westerners". Everyone speaks English very well.
I was here from roughly 11 - 21 December and the hotel staff was very busy with New Year Celebration parties (locals celebrate the New Year in respectable form). The restaurants/bars in the hotel were closed but management opened a lounge for guests and took care of us nicely.
I stayed in room 511 and as a solo, low maintenance traveler, was satisfied with what it had to offer. It was a very nice room.
I lost my iPad and sent email to staff who said it was not found. Disappointing but it was my fault. I will stay at Kempinski during future visits.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Kempinski Khan Place for 2 nights in early January. The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. Because it's the low season, they were able to upgrade our room at no extra charge. After a week in the countryside this place was just what we needed. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, with a wide variety of food. We also took advantage of the sauna, which I recommend to everyone. It was a lovely, relaxing experience. We dined at the Japanese restaurant in the hotel. The food was delicious and seemed relatively authentic (we were in Mongolia, and not Japan!). Our room was clean and spacious. We ordered room service one afternoon, and the food was great and the service was prompt. We loved the Japanese toilet, and all the European touches that Kempinsky is known for.
As a side note, we recommend Hazara Indian Restaurant. It's a short walk from the hotel, just behind the wrestling palace. It's sure to wake up your taste buds after eating buuz, hooshuur, and tsuivan in the countryside.

Room Tip: Travel in the winter and you'll likely be able to upgrade!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ulaana
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have just returned from 6 weeks working in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and during this time stayed at the Kempinski. The staff and hotel manager of the Kempinski turned my working trip from mundane to fabulous.The staff were attentive, gracious, friendly and went the extra mile to assist with any request. I was working by myself and travelling to a work-site daily. I had to rely upon drivers provided by the hotel and approved taxis. The staff ensured my safe travel daily, provided me with a free mobile and responded to my most basic of queries. The air purifier in the room and hotel was excellent and made a huge difference with the heavily polluted outside air. The food was excellent and the kitchen accommodated special requests without problem and anticipated my requests (I felt like family by the end of my stay and was invited to visit the staff on their first ever teambuilding event (picture below). The working space in the room was very good and the bed extremely comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Ulaanbaatar. Other individuals who met with me and were staying elsewhere were very impressed and planned to stay there on return trips. I will definitely be staying there again if I have the opportunity to return to Ulaanbaatar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Heather d
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I spent three weeks in UB in July/August and had a great experience staying at the Kempinski. All services were excellent. Since I was at the hotel for so long, the hotel staff got to know my habits so well that they were responding to my requests ahead of time (for example, as soon as I came in the restaurant for breakfast, one of the staff immediately was on the way to the kitchen to get my black tea!). All staff were extremely friendly. Bayara (the concierge) was extremely helpful in arranging for my weekend tours. My visit to Mongolia was very much enhanced by the high level of overall service at the Kempinski.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The brunch is awesome! Great service, good food and just a nice atmosphere, especially in UB. Highly recommended for a place to spend a nice Sunday afternoon. The staff are very polite and will endeavour to meet your every need.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends