“a diamond in the rough”

Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
London, Canada
“a diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My daughters and I recently spent 4 days in the Kempinski. Every staff or employee we interfaced with were extremely courteous and wanting to do whatever they could to make our stay perfect. One of the front staff was even willing to walk with us to find a particular store we were having trouble locating. Our flight was leaving at midnight on the day of our check-out and they graciously allowed us to stay until 9pm, which was so appreciated. We ate all of our meals at the hotel and received courteous and prompt service at every turn. Konstantin Andonov, Food and Beverage Manager, was very friendly and attentive - and his sense of humour always put a smile on our face. I have never seen a more spectacular breakfast. ever. The variety and freshness of food served was beyond comparison. The rooms were clean and spacious and we also enjoyed the spa services. A welcomed stay after a week in the wilderness. I will certainly look for the Kempinski when next I travel.

1 Thank PattiL963
FrankPrasmo, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear PattiL963,

Thank you for choosing to stay recently at The Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace.

As well as, thank you for spending your valuable time to share recent detail.

I agree that our staffs are always try to give a hand to our guests and I am sure they do it very well.

I would like to admit our therapists are very professional and they spend all of their energy to reach guests' satisfaction.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back at anytime.

Frank Prasmo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the Kempinski for 4 nights after an 8-day camping trip in the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. Staff at the hotel were lovely - extremely helpful and very accommodating. We particularly enjoyed the incredible buffet breakfast (what a spread) and dinners at the KharaKhorum Restaurant. Konstantin Andonov, Food & Beverage Manager at the Kempinski, was a delight. His sense of humour and attention to detail were always appreciated.

Highly, highly, recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
FrankPrasmo, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear juliena490,

Thank you very much for your amazing compliment to our food and beverage manager.
As well as, your the most appreciable recommendation to others is very helpful for us.

Thank you for your time to write a comment on our page.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at the Kempinski for three nights while at the tail end of a trip to Ulaanbaatar. We switched from another hotel to the Kempinski and were very glad we did. The service at this hotel is exceptional - from the front desk staff, to the wait staff in the restaurants, to the bell boys, to the spa staff and everyone in between. The Food and Beverages Manager, Konstantin Andonov, was particularly witty, engaging and attentive.

The buffet breakfast is not to be missed. I've never seen such a diverse and extensive selection for a breakfast included with your room. It's a huge spread. Lots of fresh fruit, juices, breads, pastries, smoothies, a fresh omelette/egg/crepe station, various jams, cheeses and spreads and plentiful hot and cold options. It was delicious and extremely high value and it generally meant that no lunch was necessary!

In addition to the buffet, they have two restaurants in the hotel - a Mongolian/International restaurant and a Japanese restaurant. We went to the Mongolian/International one several times. The menu was very large and varied - with good options to suit our mix of carnivore/vegetarian/gluten-free diets and servers were happy to accommodate dietary issues and/or substitute items for us as needed.

The carpet and decor in our room was somewhat dated but the room itself was very spacious, with a modern TV (and decent cable, to boot) and a large, clean 4-piece bathroom. Everything was very clean and comfortable generally. Room service was great and very fast.

The hotel is slightly outside the core city centre area but not by much and cabs are inexpensive (if you are clear about what you're paying before you get in, otherwise you fall prey to the tourist inflation trap) and accessible.

I really cannot say enough about what great service we received at this hotel. It made all the difference during our stay.

I was not previously familiar with the Kempinski hotel brand although I will now keep my eye out for it while traveling and highly, highly recommend staying at this particular one if you are traveling to Ulaanbaatar.

1 Thank tigerseye66
Dear tigerseye66,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am new General Manager here at the Kempinski Hotel khan Palace.

I was very pleased and impressed to read all of positive comment and reviews on TripAdvisor.
Comments like yours are giving us a lot of energy to improve our service.

Please accept my the deepest appreciation for your kind and warm words.

All of my staff and Konstantin Andonov were very glad to see your compliment.

Thank you very much again and again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My sister and I traveled on the trans Siberian railroad (an experience in itself) and after 5 days on the train, we were eager to get off. What a welcome respite!! We were greeted like royalty. In fact, during the length of our stay, the front desk staff, all of whom spoke excellent English, continually were hospitable, knowledgeable, friendly and always eager to help. Our room also was great with very comfortable beds including pristine white bedding and all the amenities one could ask for. As frequent travelers, we rarely eat in the hotel, however this trip was different and we found ourselves eating dinner 2 out of 3 nights in the hotel. Those dinners as well as the complimentary breakfast each morning were delicious. Also, a breakfast to go was provided free of charge on our departure day... How very nice! Great massage, good bellman and doorman service completed this wonderful stay, one we would recommend to anyone traveling to UB.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JensWycisk, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear G A,

Please allow me to thank you for your wonderful comment on TripAdvsor.

Everything you wrote above is encouraging our team to be more professional.

Once again, thank you very much.

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'd been several times to Kempinski Hotel's Sunday Brunch at the Tenger, without reservations, that today, October 6, I went there again, without reservations, friends in tow. Ooops! Found out that they'd moved it to a smaller venue due to a seminar and wedding at the spacious Tenger restaurant. With all tables taken, there was no room for us. But I didn't give up because I knew how delicious/scrumptious/heavenly/delectable/appetizing/and to die for was Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace's Sunday Brunch.

I talked to the Head Chef who was standing by the dessert section and he called Mr. Konstantin, the Food and Beverage Manager. I explained my situation to him and instead of turning us away, he told my group to sit and wait in the lobby and that he'd send a waiter to take our drinks order. He also said that he'd make a table ready for us in 15 minutes.

From the lobby, we could see a flurry of activity. Two tables were put together and Mr. Konstantin personally set the placemats, plates and cutlery. After 10 minutes, we were ushered in and the rest is culinary history.

Thanks a lot to Mr. Konstantin and to his excellent crew. You made my extended birthday celebration a most 'happy tummy' way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs. 663Greca663,

Thank you very much for your detail from your recent visit here at the Kempinski Hotel Khan Palace.

I am glad that you do enjoy our Sunday Brunch and apologize for the unexpected situation caused to you.

I will be kindly delivered your appreciation to Mr. Konstantin.

Hope to welcome you again for next Sunday Brunch!

Warm regards,

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The staff here are very well versed in customer service and do an excellent job. The service was faultless from the door man through to the manager. The hotel itself isn't the newest and has a slight 80's vibe to the rooms when compared to the city's latest offerings but other than that it would have been a 5* review, highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Oli R,

I am appreciate for your kind recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Warm regards,

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

After travelling 2 weeks in beautiful Mongolia but in rather basic accomodation, we were looking forward to stay at the Kempinski in Ulaan Baatar. As I had previously researched the hotel online I knew not to expect too much in terms of design and interior decoration. And indeed the hotel is correct, rooms spacious but nothing extraordinary; however what was lacking in design was more than made up by service. When we learned the fact that our flight was cancelled and we needed flights rebooked and have an extra hotel night, we asked the front desk to help us as there were language problems when we called ourself to the Mongolian Airlines helpdesk. The lady at the front desk ended up giving her mobile telling us to go out and enjoy the city while they would deal with the issue and indeed barely 20 min later we got a phone call all was settled, new flight details were already put in our room and we got a complimentary night at the hotel (thanks to Mongolia Airlines). I never experienced such an outstanding service and efficiency.
Another excellent surprise was breakfast, with plenty of organic and delicious food

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank stylishnomad
Dear Stylishnomad,

Thank you very much for your amazing comment.

All of our staff always willing to help our guests as much as they could. I am very glad that our front desk agent helped you to solve your issues.

Again, thank you for mentioning our breakfast.