“Cannot Agree More”
Review of Lao Orchid Hotel

Lao Orchid Hotel
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Before my trip to vientiane, I have made some research and the i had chosen Lao Orchid because of its good review and i cannot agree more with all the reviews. It deserved a 5 star rating. I requested for higher floor room with mekong view and was placed on the 4th floor with balcony overlooking mekong and Wat Chan. The room is spacious with very comfortable king size double bed, I can say its the best bed i ever experienced. The wooden flooring and furnitures made it very elegant although the bathroom is simple but spotless. The only negative point is the low water pressure. I did noticed some negative reviews about the breakfast but I found out to be the other way round. The hotly fried egg items and bacons are delicous and so are the fried rice. The breakfast room is in front of the main entrance and you can have a cup of coffee while enjoying the view of mekong and the temple in front. There are a few PCs next to reception may come handy and its free. Of course, last but not least , the friendly staffs that make your stay here even more pleasant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BTLim

Reviewed May 18, 2009

Paid $45 for a spacious room with queen bed.

Big room, good bed, decent shower. Good location and top floor not noisy.

Nice breakfast in morning, with omelets to order.

Everything was else was fine, except the fridge had been plugged into an outlet that shuts off when you leave the room, and it took me a day to figure out.

Also, wireless only worked in halls and lobby, not in room. No LAN option for room.

For the price, is was pretty good. Be even better for a couple.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We spent only a night in Vientiane at the Lao Orchid hotel before catching an Air Asia flight to Kuala Lumpur. We booked a more expensive night in Vientiane as I could not find another place with decent reviews at a lower cost in the city.

The hotel is very nice and the rooms are huge. I moved the dates on my reservation but I forgot to confirm and respond to an email. Because of this, they didn't have my originally booked room available (my fault). They did have a nicer suite available and offered us a discount and free airport transfer as our the first room was unavailable. This really stepped over and above what they needed to do and it didn't go unnoticed.

The room was immaculately clean and the staff very professional. The bed was super comfy and we didn't want to get up in the morning.

The only complaint is that on the executive floor, the internet (wifi) didn't work. We had to go downstairs to the lobby instead. Time to install a new router. Also downstairs the internet was painfully slow.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I can only repeat what all the other reviewers have said. This is a great hotel, in a great location. Arranged the stay all through email (with no payment being requested until i left). When i arrived at the airport the driver was there waiting for me (i had pre-arranged this) and took me back to the hotel. It mustn't have been full when i stayed there as i was asked if i wanted a room at the front or the back. When i said the front the receptionist advised it might be a little noisy but i went for it anyway. The room was immaculate and even had a nice little balcony overlooking the front of the hotel and the wat opposite (and the mekong to the side). I stayed there for 2 nights (saturday and sunday) and slept like a log both nights. There was no noise whatsoever from the road at the front. With Vientiane being such a quiet relaxed place I guess we all have different interpretations of what we would class as noisy.

I had to return to vientiane later on to fly to Phnom Penh which involved another night stay. Unfortunately the Lao Orchid was booked up so i stayed at the Chantaphranya (which was the other hotel i was thinking about staying in prior to my trip). It was a couple of dollars more expensive, bigger and the location was slightly out of the way (only a couple mins walk though). I didnt have any problems with it whatsoever but given the choice between the two now i wouldnt hesitate to opt for the Lao Orchid.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank phiphi
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stopped here for one night on our way home from Luang Prabang. The airport pick up and drop off was really efficient and the location of the hotel allowed us to make the most of the short time we had in Vientiane. The room was really nice and clean - my other half had a minor complaint about the bathroom sink not having hot water which makes shaving a pain. Breakfast was good and served in the nice balcony bar area.
Would definitely stay here if we get a chance to come back to Vientiane - I can see why it is ranked number 1.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LJinHK
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Lao Orchid Hotel is one of the best choices in Vientiane as it offers very clean, large, modern, comfortable rooms at an extremely reasonable price. The location of the hotel is excellent as well - close to the river and a variety of great restaurants. We arrived from Van Veing by bus and the bus dropped us off just a 5 minute walk away from the hotel.

The staff were very friendly and extremely efficient (our check-in took under 5 mintues!)

Also after staying in more traditional bungalows earlier on in our trip to Laos, it was surprisingly nice to stay in a place with all the mod-cons - TV, hairdryer, AC (which we didn't need as it was winter), proper luggage racks, large cupboards, in-room safe and a huge bathroom. The room & bathroom was also very clean. Also there was free internet access in the lobby and wifi in the rooms.

All in all great value for money - we'd highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Chloe69
Reviewed February 3, 2009

It was rated NUMBER 1 and it really deserves it. A lovely hotel at a good price.

1  Thank shelly c