All reviews air conditioning works budget hotel cable tv rooms are clean laos
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Having visited Vientiane many times this was my first stay at the New Lao Paris Hotel, it will not be my last. My room was on the second of four floors, there is no lift, bear this in mind when considering this hotel. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, Cable TV was adequate but picture quality was not great on some channels, air-con was effective but noisy, bathroom was large, clean and had fresh towels each day. The location of this hotel is such that it is within walking distance of many of the 'tourist' attractions in Vientiane, Tat Dam is just 90 seconds walk away as is The Fountain with its restaurants and evening entertainment. The Patuxai Arch is an easy walk along Lane Xiang Avenue. Visitors requiring a Thailand visa from the Thai Consulate visa section can walk from the hotel to the consulate in just 25 minutes, the main bus station is about 8-10 minutes walk away.

This is not the best hotel in Vientiane but it does offer good value for money for those who are traveling on a budget, especially with regard to its location which means that so many places can be accessed without needing to use the somewhat expensive 'tuk tuk's'. For a stay of 2-3 days this is well worth considering. I will be returning here on my next visit to Vientiane.

Room tip: Ask for a room on a low floor if you have difficulty climbing stairs, there is no lift and the hotel has four floors.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank autohire
Reviewed April 17, 2014

After 8 months of travelling I have never had to write a review like this. However, our experience at this hotel was so bad we felt we had to prevent others from making the same mistakes we did. When we arrived at the hotel there were no towels in our room. We had to wait 5 hours for towels to be delivered. This became a daily routine when the room was cleaned and the towels always had stains on them. We found two cockroaches in our room. The room has Mosquitos as there are holes in the door frames. There is free tea, coffee and bottled water in reception however we did not find this out until the last day as the manage did not inform us when we checked in. We booked our bus ticket from Vientiane to Hanoi through the hotel manager. The manager is very dishonest. The bus we had to get on was completely different to the picture of the bus he showed us when we paid for our ticket. There was no toilet as promised. There was 40 seats on the bus however 105 people were crammed on. It was terrible there were people everywhere. The manager told us the border was open all night. It is actually closed until 7am therefore the bus turns off the air conditioning for 6 hours and stops in the middle of no where. We were made to switch buses in Vinh and were told we had to pay again to Hanoi despite the fact we had already paid for our ticket to Hanoi. I have emailed the manager asking for an explanation and he has not replied at all. Please avoid this hotel, there are many other hotels in the area that are cleaner, cheaper and have honest staff. Please avoid booking any transport through this hotel. It is a scam.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
9  Thank Travelling C
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Overall we enjoyed our 3 day stay here. The hotel is in a very good location just back from the fountains. Our room was up on the third floor and the journey up and down the stairs is really tough!! The furniture is old, but the room was set up nicely and there was cable TV, The bedding was clean . The bathroom had a very good electric shower.
Breakfast is probably not worth bothering with unless you are really starving. There were, as others have said, mossies in the room, but we always travel with coils so it wasn't a problem for us.

Room tip: Some of the rooms don't have windows to the outside.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in the city centre and within walking distance of most tourist attractions like the national museum, presidential palace, haw pha kaeo and wat si saket. Along the mekong is a large nightmarket. Around the hotel are many restaurants, shops and travel agents. We came to the hotel without a reservation. At the reception we made a booking and our room would be ready around noon. We could leave the bags and went out for a drink. When we came back (two hours later) another man was behind the reception and out room was no longer available. After a little discussion we were offered another room. The room was quite big, had an airco and private bathroom. The hotel has bikes for rent for 20.000K a day. Bustickets can be bought at the reception desk.

Date of stay: March 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Hestermo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was given a room (twin beds) with access to the balcony on my first night. Overall the room was clean except for the filthy shower curtain. I wish they would just ditch it! The bathroom was quite dark as per the photo on their website. I agreed to be moved to a single room for the second night since they were kind enough to change my reservation free of charge. The room/bathroom was much brighter. I don't think I would stay here again since there are so many guesthouses to choose from in the centre but it's definitely a good option.

Date of stay: February 2014