“Never again!”

New Lao Paris Hotel
Ranked #53 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Got there late at night and decided to stay as had no other option. Hotel is horrible! Rooms are spacious but dirty, especially bed sheets. I was disgusted to use the bathroom. Entire hotel is run down and has a strong smell of cigarettes. Prices are non - negotiable and high (USD 30/night) compared to other places in Vientiane (and for such a poor standard). Breakfast (included in the price) was inedible. Staff is unfriendly. Stayed there only one night and will never come back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Margareta X
There are newer reviews for New Lao Paris Hotel

Reviewed November 28, 2011

When we arrived in Vientiane we were suprised to find all the hostels and guesthouses full... We were walking around for about 30 min before asking at this place, which had a double for 30 USD so we were pretty desperate and just took it for 2 nights and then continued south,

The lobby was completely empty of people, and as we walked up to the topfloor and our room we didnt see or hear anybody.. We thought it was a bit weird.. The room was pretty big and had a window overlooking some roofs (not an inside window to the corridor). The beds were really comfortable. The bathroom was a nightmare! The floor was more dirty than what you usually get in SEA, but the nasty surprise was when I had a shower- the water didnt go down, as happens a lots of times, but on top of that, what seemed like years of accumlated hair and filth was coming up from the pipe. The bathroom floor stayed that way all night (in the morning the water had finally gone down) and the smell was unbeliavble..

Breakfast was included (bread, jam, butter, eggs and bacon +tea/coffe).

One of the receptionists was very pushy about getting us onward transportation from the moment we walked in the door, and that didnt give us a good feeling so we booked it around the corner instead.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Huge Clean Rooms with a bit of work needed in the bathrooms.. But overall the rooms are clean and bright. Close to action in Town.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I basically stumbled across this hotel, and having done enough walking decided that this would be the one I would stay in. To my delight, it was a good hotel, friendly staff, clean and spacious bedrooms and a spacious western style toilet.

I stayed here last summer and paid around £10 per night and was very happy with the hotel. Fortunately my room had a balcony although the view was nothing spectacular. The hotel's location is great, but as already mentioned in another review, it doesn't really matter where you stay in Vientiane; it is such a small city, no matter where you are you will be close to the main tourist attractions.

The breakfasts here were not great, eggs and bread, but this seems to be the usual throughout Southeast Asia, or at least it was in my experience. I'd reccommend walking up the road to the Scandinavian bakery, they have the best pastries!

I hope this is useful, enjoy Vientiane!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Having stayed in the paris Lao hotel for two nights gave us an impression on the hotl and the hotl management. I m not sure whether the hotel can be called a hotel. For me it was more less a guesthouse. Due to the fact we were travelling with a small child we had booked a triple room. Given to us was a king bed plus 1 samll bed. So that was an advantage the hotel provided to us. In general the rooms are old, the bathroom is really bad and run down. The bathroom level was like beeing in a very bad runddown Thaiguesthouse which had never been fixed. Breakfast was included but it is not worth mentioning. Every guest had the same breakfast. Two fried eggs and a few slices of a french white bread. Regarding the hotel management we had a the experience that after we wanted to call the taxidriver we had used before(when coming to vientiane), but the night portier insisted to call his much better Taxi driver for th same price. The next morning when we wanted to leave we were told that the taxi driver could not make it and that we have to take another taxi driver which was more expensive. A typical SEA rip off ;-).
So finallzy as I said before I do not recommend at all this run down, noisy ( at the main road), unsupportive expensive (value for money) Hotel/ Guesthouse. There are much better alternatives.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SEAMASTA
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Can't argue with the location but then most places in Vientiane are within close proximity to restaurants and the few places of interest. We had one of the interior rooms (US$30 a night) and there is no external window. Any light comes from the corridor, which is a drag in the middle of the night when trying to sleep. Turn off the corridor light and other guests have to stumble to their rooms. We were shifted to a room with balcony which was hugely preferable. Breakfast is eggs and bread or . . . eggs and bread with synthetic coffee. Were quoted US$160 (!) for a "private" bus to Vang Vieng but settled for seats on a VIP for 70,000 kip ($9) each. I had a good laugh with the receptionist about his other quote. It made my day but hats off for trying. My advice? Lob in Vientiane, take a tuk-tuk to the centre and look around. There's plenty on offer and better deals than the New Lao.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed here for two nights for $30 / night. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the road below. The hotel is in a great location and the staff are all very kind. Rooms are big and clean, but nothing special. For me, biggest negative was that there was a lot of road noise. My wife got some bites on her arm - which could have been bedbugs or could have been mozzies in town.

The breakfast is not good - but interesting in that they have the whole breakfast (including eggs) laid out at the tables before you arrive.

All in all, I would consider staying here again, but my wife would not.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple