“it depends what you want!”
Review of Villa Manoly

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Villa Manoly
Ranked #26 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Vientiane
Reviewed December 17, 2010

After four previous trips to Vientiane Villa Manoly would be the only hotel i would return too (excluding Rivertime eco Lodge which is out of town). I was travelling with my son , husband and mother so we had varied needs but Villa Manoly was perfect for my family with a pool, patio, big garden and staff who while very helpful and friendly left us alone.
We stayed for a month with a quick trip up to LP in the middle. The rooms where far from clean but i fixed this by cleaning it a bit myself and the lovely cleaning lady while coming everyday just gave it a quick wipe over (im not sure what she did in there every day but "not much' was the result). this is the only fault i can give Manoly and i wish they would fix it but its also a factor in all the accommadation in Lao bar the very expensive hotels i assume. We also didn't have breakfast there but went to the local bagette stalls around the corner or walked to the the near by expat/local supermarkets (with ATM). There is a little bar on the corner nearest the river which has great noodle beef soup and a great cafe run by a lovely chinese lady near the junction of roads leading out of town (10mins walk along the river but worth it)
While reading the reveiws of vientiane guesthouses its best to keep in mind what is important to you. if you want bars and nightlife (best go to thailand really) stay in town , if its a cheap bed go to a the many flea pits or if its western standard luxury there is greenpark etc but if you want to see into a bit of normal lao life and be able to relax in quiet family friendly surrounds villa manoly can't e beat.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank jjenjimted
There are newer reviews for Villa Manoly

Reviewed November 2, 2010

My son lives in Vientiane and we asked him to find us a hotel with a pool.... and the Villa Manoly was perfect. OK, it's not 5-star but we loved its old world,slightly run-down colonial charm, magical garden and overall quirkiness. Very simple breakfast - just french bread and jam and fruit, tea or coffee, so go elsewhere to eat if you're hungry in the morning. Tuk-tuk on demand outside the hotel, short walk to the river and beautiful temple across the road. All in all it suited us perfectly. Would most definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank chris186605
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My Fiancee and I stayed at Villa Manoly in mid-July 2010. We paid $35 for a room with AC on the first floor right off of the garden. Villa Manoly definitely has a quirky kind of charm to it. The exterior of the building is attractive and the garden is filled with beautiful flowers that attract a wide range of equally beautiful butterflies. The pool, while small, offers some much needed relief from the heat and was a highlight of the hotel. The staff was friendly, if not quirky, and was able to arrange transport to Luang Prabang at a competitive price. Its location could either be an asset or problem depending on what you are looking for. It is outside of the "downtown" area and is a 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you are going, or a 30,000 kip ride. The location means that it is quite and peaceful, but if you are looking to be close to the little action Vientiane offers this place is not for you. The biggest problem is that it is simply not a good value. The room, while large and clean, was getting to be rundown and the breakfast verged on meager. You could easily spend less money on a place, although it will not have a pool. While we would probably not stay there again, if a quiet place with a pool is what you are looking for and $35 is in your price range you may want to consider Villa Manoly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I stayed at Villa Manoly following the recommendation of a friend. First the nice parts: the hotel is nicely located with a temple in the direct nei ghborhood; the garden is quite large and the location rather calm - to the center it's a 20 minutes footwalk.

Now for the rest: the rooms are in dire need of renovation, and I found there was a lack in cleanliness (bathroom, sheets...). The breakfast consisted of old, stale baguette, some reddish blob - probably jam - and a small plate of fruit bar any flavour. The staff didn't speak any english (when I asked them for some lemon for the tea they brought milk) and didn't seem inclined to make any effort (except for the guy at the reception who is nice and helpful).

There is a small pool in the garden, but its greenish tinge put me off from even trying it.

Had I stayed more than 2 nights in Vientiane, I certainly would have changed hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2009

very welcoming and nicely situated slightly aside off the noisy area with a beautiful garden. the room on the second floor are better. the staff is very helpfull and funny as well. they make you feel like at home. the breakfast is not great

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kuna-khamu
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Hayley Brown was spot on. This place isn't 5star but we found it to be clean, comfortable and most importantly for us...quiet. The pool was divine. The best thing about Manoly, however, was Guay (Pronounced "Gway" ) our receptionist,/waiter. He was courteous and helpful, absolutely mad for Man U, and while he may appear serious, underneath lurks a dry and cheeky sense of humour. We had many laughs and came away with fond memories.
The garden may not be pristine. The rooms are not palacial but they were cleaned every day. Good value for money. It is an easy 10-15 minute walk into the main drag of Vientiane (spoil yourself and a hard working local by catching a tuk-tuk back at night.)
And if the Laos coffee is too much for you, head to Joma for a very fine latte.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NiftyPurce
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I had booked one of the top hotels in Vientiane but since this was the last part of my three-week holiday I decided to save some cash and changed my reservation to Villa Manoly. I am very glad I did.

The place is awesome, full of character, calm, at an excellent location. The rooms and the bathrooms are huge (at least the ones at the main building), the garden and pool very refreshing and the lady who was in charge of the place (at least when I was there) super polite and friendly.

Yes the rooms could do with a little more dusting and the shower with more water pressure but for about 30 dollars/night you cannot get a better deal. Highly recommended if you are looking for something original!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple