“Hotel Lao for the Minimalist type.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Lao

and 1 more site!
Hotel Lao
Ranked #52 of 94 Hotels in Vientiane
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Hotel Lao for the Minimalist type.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

Hotel Lao! The jury is still out on this hotel for me. I try as much as humanly possible to find the positive in any situation and so I will share the aspects of that with fellow travelers. My first encounter with Hotel Lao was ironic/ fated to say the least. The initial plan was to join up with my fiancé as we moved around in our travels. We had booked the hotel due to its very reasonable rates of US $26 per night and its Central location as we always prefer to be in the hub of the activity. Due to my fiancé’s job he was called away to work and so I decided to simply cancel that leg of our travels and meet up again at some other point. It is then I called the Hotel a few days ahead to cancel that I was informed I would be charged the entire booking cost. Needless to say, I felt hard pressed to continue my plans of being there, rather than pay for something I couldn’t be present to enjoy.

On arrival, I was met with amazing friendly staff after being collected from the Airport by the Hotel’s pick up service, a fee of which I paid US $6. My first few days were spent, walking around, checking out the surroundings as I had to abort many of the plans that were made based on being a couple. Some activities just would not have been the same going solo. I visited a few of the bars that were in walking distance but ended up spending a lot of time at the hotel of itself. Aesthetically I think that the court yard dining area setting was a bit too; shall I say harsh, for my taste. Though very open and spacious, it lacked any feeling of “warmth” apart from the shaded trees and the pond of fish. The room interiors; with its wooden floors, minimalist décor and plain white clean walls however, made up in warmth for the exterior .I think straight laced , no frills types would find this hotel to their likings.

The food was average and the smoked tea from the small gift shop is a must buy. I spent a lot of time in my room making full use of the hotel’s fast and friendly room service. After all I felt lonely sitting out in the court yard in that entire wide expanse on my own. I think it just drew attention to the fact that I was alone. All in all it was an average, and just average accommodation. Would I have enjoyed my stay thoroughly if my fiancé was there? Yes! However I am not sure that had he been there, that he would have enjoyed it anymore than I did. There is room for improvement here. Maybe some refurbishing on the outside, something to soften the overall outlook of an otherwise great concept of an open air dining experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Siem Reap, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

I stayed agin at this hotel and had a much nicer deluxe room with more space. Its a place of character with a nice garden and pond. The food is pretty good though staff have adopted the Lao PDR Please Dont Rush attitude, which makes for a relaxing time if you are on holiday; so dont expect fast food here or anywhere else in Laos for that matter.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

On the negative: The worst about this hotel is that the rooms don't have a fan, just air conditioning! This can make the nights quite uncomfortable (unless you like sleeping with the airco blasting on you). As of Dec 2010 there is construction going on nearby (so you don't need to set your alarm clock) ;-) Walls thin as paper, but then again the latter is standard for Laos hotels. On the positive side: The breakfast isn't bad and the staff is really nice.

I think that for the same price category there must be nicer places in Vientiane.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

I liked the feel of the hotel. though when I first saw it from the Outside It did not look impressive or like the villa style hotel I was expecting.
Inside the lobby and courtyard garden was a delight. I had a simple room overlooking the garden. For the price it was good; but the bathroom was a bit dated and could do with improvement. Otherwise the staff were helpful; food was good and breakfast; above average for an Asian Hotel.
The only real criticism I had were the towels which were old and stained. I mentioned this to management but got an indifferent response. If I had an apology or a statement that they would be doing something about it then I would not even comment here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

A middling place, I'd agree with some of the other reviews. We stayed here twice during our Laos trip. Some comments:

Found staff very helpful, and they managed lightning-quick laundry service.

Rooms are fine budget rooms. Everything worked, no complaints. However on our return trip our room had bed bugs -- staff were mortified and (we heard later) mattresses were thrown out. (Or so we were told.) Frankly in this part of the world I consider that an everyday risk for budget places...so I would not condemn them 100% on that unfortunate experience - but it did occur. (Our first stay a week earlier had no such problems, nor our other friends in two other rooms.)

Breakfast was a great buffet - we found it plentiful and tasty, better than expected for this level of hotel.

Liquid bar staff extremely attentive, with lots of odd games and things around...bit of an ex-pat feel a la Laos.

FYI Beauty salon on ground floor assocaited with htoel offers great massage services.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

there is a Liquid Bar at the hotel...i was told that its new...i love the cool hip environment..cosy at night and homely feeling..u will love the puzzles! cable tv and internet too

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends