“Good clean accommodation”

Ranked #6 of 197 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Canmore, Canada
“Good clean accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights. We were picked up at the airport and had a free transfer to the hotel. We liked that it was off the main road but a short walking distance to restaurants etc.. Breakfasts were good consisting of eggs, bread, jam, mango, juice and coffee which we enjoyed on the balcony outside of our second floor room. The room was large and clean and the bathroom was huge. Rooms were cleaned every day and staff were friendly and helpful. A bit pricey for the area, perhaps, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank endepete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for one night at the end of a long cycling trip from Vietnam. On the day we checked in we had already done 150km so top priority was getting a shower rather than trawling around hotels for the best deal. I have to say this place didn't deliver on the asking price of $40. Room was small, furniture was ancient. It was borderline between old world charm and just plain old. The shower was not up to the standard expected at this room rate. Breakfast was apparently included but it wasn't offered until I asked about it and in the end we went outside anyway. I told the staff on the desk that I felt the room was overpriced and they discounted to $35/room. I think $20-$25 would be more reasonable. On the night we were there (Saturday night) we were the only guests in the entire place which certainly indicates better deals are available. I won't be back and couldn't recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel instead! You won't get a good deal at this place.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellinman2112
Lani's H, Manager at Lani's House By The Ponds, responded to this review, June 17, 2016
Dear customer,

First things first, we would like to thank you for your review as we have been using our past clients' comments to improve our service.

Lani's House (one of the first guesthouses in Laos) has been running for more than 30 years and needed serious renovation works until recently, indeed.

We are now taking the time to reply to customers who published "mixed" reviews to announce that we have taken their remarks into account and that the newly refurbished Lani's House by the Ponds is fully up and running with new bathrooms, beddings, paintings, furniture, private terraces and trained staff to meet our customers' legitimate expectations.

We hope that we will be given a chance in the future to make it up to those customers who felt that the House was not up to their standards, on their first visit.

With all our best wishes,

Lani's team.
vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

here on trip advisor there is also a lani II guesthouse with a different adress but with a foto from this lani guesthouse. also the description sounds a lot like this guesthouse. maybe tripadvisor should check this.
this is an old private house as it seems and nicely decorated. the rooms have charme but could be more maintained. no pressure in the shower. breakfast is poor but served in the really nice outdoor area. the guys working here are nice, espacially the night guard is very friendly. their homepage offers rates from 25 - 40 usd excl. tax, i got a large single room for 45 usd? also tey charge now for the transfer, 10 usd from northern bus station and 7 usd to the airport.
location is perfect, quiet, but you have all the restaurants and the river within 10min walk. walking arround i assume you can get better value for money as there are many lovely looking accomodations, espacialy in the side streest from the river.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've stayed at Lani Guesthouse 20 times over the past 12 years. Stays range from 1-3 nights. Cozy with wonderful staff at fair value. October 25 was my 3rd visit this year and will be my last!

Prices have skyrocketed under new management. Small room used to run 600-700 baht year round and now cost 1,100 baht.

I'm a regular and maid recognized me but he wasn't impressed. We settled on 1,000 baht. I asked new manager why the prices spiked. Renovation he answered. Renovation not complete while room is the same 100%. In room tv and internet coming soon it seems....something Lani never needed.

Later manager explains price hike due to high season. Really? I was the only customer and paid 600 baht in January!!

Service and cleanliness were always impeccable have now slipped big time:

Garbage in sitting area for hours and no staff to help when I couldn't open room door. Eventually I spotted evening guy hiding behind mini-van on mobile.

Historically breakfast at 100 baht was optional but now mandatory. I went for breakfast at 7am but no staff. After breakfast outside manager doesn't discount 100 baht for meal.

Value is now awful at Lani. Bathroom had almost no water pressure. Towels so old they scratch your skin. But prices are way up?

Hope manager reads this review and returns Lani to the quality guesthouse it used to be.

Goodbye Lani.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank James D
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

There was a misunderstanding when we checked in. In our reservation, we indicated that there would be four people coming, but they thought it would be two adults and two children. After some arguments and negotiation, the reception relented and let us checked in.

We had one queen bed and one large single bed, enough to accommodate four adults. Bedroom was clean, but better lighting is desirable so we can read in the room. Bathroom was clean, but we had problem with the shower.

We never had breakfast there as there were more enticing coffee shops and bakeries nearby the guesthouse, but breakfast was basic, consist of eggs, bread and the condiments.

What we particularly liked was the location. It was very convenient, close to most of the cafes and restaurants recommended by travellers. We rented a bike to get around the city center for 10,000 kip/day. I'd recommend to rent a bike to explore the city. Tuktuk was available, but they often ripped you off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and found it an oasis in a sometimes-difficult city. My room was spotlessly clean, the air-conditioning was perfect, and the manager was incredibly helpful.

Like the previous reviewer, there were some renovations being done during my stay, but they didn't bother me. And they're not likely to go on for too long anyway.

This is a lovely large colonial house that has been done up. It's situated down a small lane, just off one of the key streets. Its location is superb.

There's a nice balcony to have your breakfast, and the place is awash in cooling marble.

I stayed here three and a half years ago, and it's just as good now as it was then.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vientiane, Laos
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

When I checked in,it was everything that was promised. Friendly manager et al. But the next day I found that they were doing some construction work and the b*****d of a manager had given me a room that was right next to where the workers were working. So I had to suffer the nose of an electric saw right outside my room the whole afternoon. That was when I found that there were other rooms available and for some starnge reason the afore-mentioned manager m****rf****r had given me that specific room. Talk about friendly service. That guy deserves to be lynched. For 25 USD a night???!! absolute crap.Please don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank monsooner
Dear customer,

We are sorry about the bad experience you had a few years back and apologise for that.

With all our best wishes,