“Great for backpackers”

Vientiane Star Hotel
Ranked #5 of 197 Vientiane B&B and Inns
“Great for backpackers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Phil and Phil are legends! Each day set us up with what to sight see an we're to eat. Great to chat to an give really good info! Hotel it nice, rooms a bit small but comfy with ac an breakfast is great!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank fernybop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

It is a bit hard to find the hotel because it is tuck away from the hustle and bustle of Vientiane. It has a lovely chill-out vibe which attracted me to book my stay here. Phillip and Phil are both friendly and accommodating and I was lucky because my room was available and I did an early check-in (thanks again you guys!). The room is basic but comfortable and clean with AC, hot shower and cable TV. The wifi didn't work in my room which was a bummer and I have to go to the lobby/courtyard to access the wifi but it was fixed when I checked out. For tips on how to get around Vientiane ask Phil from Cyprus, he can give you valuable suggestions which helped me a lot. The hotel is centrally located which gives you an advantage to just walk towards the different attractions. I will definitely come back and stay here again because of the friendly staff and the convenient location of the hotel.

Room Tip: If wifi connection is a priority, ask for a room that can get the signal to both of the hotels netwo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank IamChiChi
Broome, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stayed at the Vientiane Star about a month ago. Although the accommodation is basic, the rooms are comfortable, clean and the shower has hot water which, isn't always the case in Asia. The bed is on the hard side but this is something I have grown accustomed to travelling throughout Asia. The staff are friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast was one of the best I have had whilst travelling. Phil and Phil are great hosts and go out of their way to make you feel at home, Australian Phil even shared his Vegemite with me which, is a big deal for any Aussie! Overall, I had a lovely stay and found the hotel to be in a good location with most things an easy walk away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Sarah M
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Wasn't overly impressed to say the least. Rooms are tiny, and there is literally no place to put your stuff. Not even a nail in the wall to hang a towel. The beds are like stones, seriously, who bought these matresses? The TV is worthless since I could not receive anything (maybe it was because of lighting but I won't give them the benefit of the doubt). Also, you cannot put anything down in the shared bathrooms. At 150k Kip (got them down to 110) well-overpriced.

Why 2 stars? Well, there was a power plug right next to the bed. It is centrally located (but what isn't in Vientiane). And the staff is superfriendly and very very helpful.

Would not stay here again, nor recommed it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank THammerBerlin
Puchong, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Hotel room was clean. I booked for double bed room, instead the staff gave me a room not only with the double bed but a single bed also, for one person, which was really unnecessary. My room was located downstairs and the window was next to the yard/bar. I was lucky that during my stay, it was rainy for most of the day and night, so no one like to enjoy sitting/relaxing at the bar. Otherwise, my room could get noisy with chattering people. No table and chair for my room. Not even a closet, I just put my things on the floor and all over the unused bed. My toilet doesn't came with the ventilation system. So, flush frequently while doing your business to avoid unnecessary smells into your room. I hope they will install the ventilation system for the toilet. Staffs (Phil & Phil and local boy) were very warm and helpful. You can ask them anything and they will help you with whatever you need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with chair/table and a closet. Get a room away from bar/yard.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Zamir_Ramli
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

We arrived here early in the morning after a very long and very uncomfortable overnight bus from Luang Prabang. We were immediately welcomed by Big Phil and Little Phil. They were so sweet and told us that we couldn't check into our rooms quite yet, but they offered to let us shower in the shared bathroom. It was exactly what we both needed. We then sat down to a great breakfast before going to explore the town.

The hotel is centrally located, clean and the staff is SO friendly. Our room was very comfortable and the free breakfast is great. We hung out at the bar at night chatting with Little Phil and the other staff and this was the highlight of our trip. After our long bus journey, all we wanted to do was sit and chill out and this was the perfect place to do that.

The only downside was that the day we arrived the power went out for about 5 hours, but it wasn't a big deal at all.

Great hotel, great value and great people!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Can't speak more highly of the hotel. Great value accommodation for those backpacking who don't want to stay in a hostel. Phil (young guy) went out his way to be helpful, great knowledge of vientiane and was approachable. He was a shining example of how customers should be treated! He definitely makes this place! Would definitely stay again

• Stayed June 2014