“Glad I found this one”

Vientiane Garden Hotel
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was there for two nights 18 & 19 August. Apparently renovations have been completed as there wasn't any construction going on. The pool was was clean and an absolute joy. Breakfast was good, the room was great. There was an issue with the lock on the door of my room. This was promptly corrected with perhaps one more apology than was necessary. I appreciated The owner, Tommy, and his staff. Will I stay there next time? Absolutely!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JerryCNX
There are newer reviews for Vientiane Garden Hotel

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel was going through remodeling while I was there in early July 2013. It was an annoyance, but they weren't too obtrusive. The pool. . . well, how can I say it, you were not able to see the bottom - too murky. They emptied it the afternoon prior to my departing. As hot as Vientiane was, I had to use it anyway for the days I was there.

The hotel makes mention they have a safe deposit box. Not in their rooms, not at the front desk. They have a safe where you can place your money/items there. The owner of the hotel picked up one the next day. So, I was able to place my valuables in a metal box that someone can just pick up and walk out with it. I guess they don't have theft problems.

At $40 USD per day, it is not cheap, but it is reasonable for Vientiane. The pool, though murky, was a plus. Would I stay there again? Perhaps. The location was central and a close walk to the downtown area. Tuk-tuks are expensive and have banded together to overcharge all tourists. They charge taxi prices because there aren't enough taxi's to serve the areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LAM487
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel for three nights. On our last day we discovered that you had to have your visa sorted before you can enter Vietnam. The hotel manager Mr Tommy was so helpful organising for us to get our visas in twenty-four hours. We had to change our flights until the next day which he also helped us with. He organised for our visas to be issued at the Embassy, a car to the airport, hotel in Hanoi and a car to and from the airport in Hanoi. We really appreciated all the help he gave us. The hotel ...Hanoi Graceful Hotel... that he booked us into in Hanoi was excellent and well priced. Also Mr Tommy rung us in Hanoi that night to checked everything was ok. Overall a very big tick for the help we recieved, It is always difficult these sort of things when in a foreign country but the management of this hotel went way beyond the norm.....we are so grateful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WayneMuir
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Yes the construction work was annoying and our first impression was not great, but the rubble mess was cleared at end of each day and the area hosed down, so we only really noticed it when arriving early afternoon. The pool had just been emptied, cleaned and refilled that day. We enjoyed it!. We had 2 rooms , o e being a family room with queen and 2 singles, quite spacious but no windows. But excellent air con. Did make it nice and dark to sleep in and quiet! Fine for a bed for the night if out all day exploring. A 5 minute walk to night market and the river, restaurants and in a quiet side street. I'd rate as a 3 star. Rooms clean, breakfast ok, a little basic but adequate. We found staff helpful and they drove us to airport at v good rate. Tuk tuks on street outside

Room Tip: First floor have communal balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LizWHobart
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Ventiane Garden Hotel for two nights and enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately when we arrived the pool was green and it was subsequently emptied and scrubbed before refilling which was not completed until we had left. Reading other reviews it seems to be a bit of an ongoing problem. We weren't bothered by the renovations but were out both days. It is an easy walk to river and night market etc. Breakfast was good and we found the staff helpful and friendly.
We would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Aggressive and rude Vietnamese manager (with no smile at all ever) ruined an otherwise not bad stay. Agoda have deleted my review already on their site! The place is ok and yes Vietnamese run, no problem, most staff are fine. Manager wanted to put us in a tiny room for 3 people we are 5! Needed the King bed and two singles. I threatened to call Agoda and he eventually caved in ... and honoured the booked voucher .... spoilt our stay though and I (we) cancelled a return stay after time in Luang Prabang. Pool was ok though, murky the first day and then they cleaned it properly ... hope it is still ok! Breakfast was ok, order stuff from the kitchen. Renovations are underway and when finished maybe quite nice. A good budget option but be prepared to be direct with the Vietnamese staff (bar on nice Lao man who said the Manager was crazy!). If they try to gouge you or not do the right thing, tell them where to go! Our experience was not perfect, others may have no problems so enjoy this well appointed budget hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure they honour Agoda/Booking etc. bookings and be prepared to be tough with them!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Noufy
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I made 2 mistakes last week. One was to believe the overrated reviews of fellow trip advisors (some people really change their rates just because they are backpacking in Asia), the other was to book 4 nights with Agoda (which are already paid and cannot cancel anymore).

The place should be very good if it were not a construction site. I am currently writing from my room with a constant hammering noise that is starting to become annoying. Fortunately I have meetings the whole day and had not to endure it until now (4pm).

The amazing pool or peaceful balcony or 'most comfy bed in 50 years' that other guests wrote in their reviews.... well, maybe it was not the same place. And the pool, well... no comment (I rather swim in the Mekong nearby).

Also, it should not be called a hotel, when it is actually a guesthouse. Run by a Vietnamese family who is always around: by the pool, by the breakfast area, ... I was also surprised of the low standard service. Quite cold reception and attention that would be expected in any hotel, and particularly in Southeast Asia! Well, here it is not the case.

Also, by 4pm, my room was not yet cleaned. When I asked, they said that maybe mine is the last one to be cleaned. But I am lucky today. I cannot stand the noise anymore and will go and find a cafe to wait for the noise to finish and the workers go home. Hopefully by that time the room has been already cleaned (but I am not trust my luck too much anyway).

The breakfast is fine though. You can order omelette, eggs, or Pho (vietnamese soup).

Make yourself a favor and find some place else to go. At least until the 'renovation works' are over and you can enjoy the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business