“very beautiful & clean and friendly staff”

Vientiane Garden Hotel
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed June 29, 2013

due to the fact that the hostel next door was booked out, we spent 5 nights in this beautiful hotel. clean rooms, which need some shower curtains, longer shower hoses and mosquito nets, but it was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. free Wifi and the pool was cleaned every morning. it was low season so we had a much cheaper price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We ended up late at night coming from Vietnam on bikes, and first were planning to go to Sihome backpackers, however, the price for a double room was relatively high. We were referred to the hotel next door, vientiane garden hotel. It seemed a bit above budget, but managed to make a deal that was on par with sihome backpackers. However, the facilities were way better than expected. The swimming pool was 3/4-star luxury, very decent breakfast, I personally enjoyed the staff ended up singing 'healing the world - michael jackson' with one of them.

Vientianne is an expensive city, and if you end or begin your trip in an hotel and you do not mind to spend a bit above budget, I opt for this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DMK1688
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The rooms and place is good and clean. The staff weren't particularly helpful or endearing. They didn't go out of their way to help you or offer you information.

Breakfast was a bit of a challenge because it's partially buffet and ala cart. They set out some bread and spread that you can toast and drinks for your consumption. But you only get one plate from the list of "main course". I had the pancake that was supposed to come with bacon but apparently you have to ASK for the bacon. It doesn't come readily on your plate as said on the choices.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gin C
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Booked a 'Deluxe Balcony' room in this hotel for 3 nights in May, - mainly because it seemed to be one of only a handful of hotels in Vientiane with a pool. Also, the rooms looked good on their web-site and it looked fairly close to the centre of Vientiane.

However, as soon as I pulled up to the entrance and shown to my room, I was disappointed. It just didn't look as good as the photos on their web-site, and for $60 a night, I expected more in south-east Asia (and I got more elsewhere).

My main gripes with the hotel are...
-- The room doesn't have a private balcony at all, just an elevated walkway to the front door of the room.
-- No safe in the room.
-- Cheap wire hangers in the wardrobe.
-- The Bathroom was very dated and missing a shower curtain, Bath Mat and the sink plug didn't fit.
-- The bathroom was very dark and lit by a dim light, so I learnt to shave in the day rather than in the evening.
-- Noisy air-conditioner (some nights I had to turn it off so as I could sleep).
-- Poor breakfast. No real coffee, only instant-coffee (and this a former French colony!!).
-- WiFi was very slow and it was generally unusable.
-- The water in the pool was dirty, and my conclusion was that the water wasn't cycled, so that basically it was a pond with rain water. The staff seems to be always fixing it, and one morning we were not allowed to use it. Either way, the water was no uninviting than I never used it.
-- One night I felt the key with the receptionist. When I came back at 1am, it was on the reception-table and the staff were sound asleep, so anyone could have easily just taken it and gone into my safe-less room.
-- Hotel is a bit off the beaten track down a side road. Not far form the centre, but in Vientiane heat, I wished it were closer.

All in all, I was disappointed with my choice, and wished I had chosen somewhere a bit closer to the real centre, even if it were a few dollars more. A picture tells a thousand words, so I have included some photos in this review.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank BrilloAido
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I spent three nights here on a visa run, and it was lovely. the staff were mega friendly, i enjoyed the breakfast, the pool was nice, and the rooms were lovely. It's an easy walk to various streets and the river, and the staff helped me to haggle the price of my tuk tuk to the embassy down - I paid half of what other people I met at the embassy who were staying nearby (or closer). Loved it.

Room Tip: I have mobility problems and emailed ahead to ask for a room on the ground floor - they were very ac...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

So I finally arrived at the hotel after being stranded for 7 hours at km 83 out from Vientianne when my motorcycle died.
My relief at arriving was immediately gone after the treatment I received by the young guy at the front desk. Barking orders at me about my booking, my name, my voucher. In 30 years of travel and visiting over 60 countries I don't think I have encountered a ruder or more unprofessional greeting at a hotel.
This guy should not be working in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank realmc26
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

i just arrived in bangkok and the first thing i do is write this review. whatever good experience i had in laos was overshadowed by my money being stolen in my room. dont get me wrong, the hotel was fine, the staff was friendly. perhaps thats why i became complacent. on my last day, my train was scheduled to leave in the afternoon. the manager tony was kind enough to agree to a late check out. at 12:00 i decided to have lunch and had the foolish notion that my stuff would be safe in my room. everything was packed and i took only enough money to cover lunch. i was back by 12:50. when i was getting ready to leave, i checked my wallet and found 100sgd missing. i was sure because i counted my money that night and i was on a strict budget. i notified the manager immediately but of course everything was denied. they even asked me to count the money in front of them. my room was locked but they still had access. i dont expect to get my money back but im writing this for other travelers to Laos. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

Stayed: May 2013