“Value for money”

Vientiane Garden Hotel
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spent 4 nights there with 2 children in April 2013. Hotel is not easy to notice from the street and tuk-tuk drivers do not usually know the place either. Prepare yourself with the directions. The hotel itself is a nice surprise, although at first sight I felt it a bit overrated on Tripadvisor. But in a few days the ever smiling and attentive staff and the super-relaxed environment helped me to understand the rating.

The room is ok, nothing special. Everything worked and indeed the beds are comfortable. The bathroom was basic with a bathtub and shower. Cartoon Network works and there are couple of other channels but most are Lao-speaking. Another big plus for those travelling with children is that the hotel has a close courtyard with no direct access to the street.

Make sure you buy a MOSQUITO KILLER SPRAY in a nearby corner shop. They sell it for $1.50 or so and it is the best investment ever made! You would not enjoy your stay without it.

Breakfast is not the most important meal for us and it was ok with 5 or 6 options on the menu including various egg meals, pancakes or noodle. Comes with free flow of coffee, tea and fruit juice. A few different fresh fruits are also served.

It was constant 40+ degrees Celsius in Vientiane during our stay and the pool was so great to have. A true life-saver after a full day walking around in the city.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the ground floor with a very convenient access to the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Vientiane Garden Hotel recently on a visa run from Thailand. This hotel is a better than average hotel based primarily on service. On check in I was attended to by three staff members. The English was very good, and while the desk manager was confirming my reservation, another staffer presented me with a cold towel to refresh with as well as a glass of orange juice. The room was clean and comfortable, and the grounds of the hotel, while small, were quite lovely, centered on the pool which was surrounded by shade trees. The hotel is a little off the beaten path, but only about a 5 to 8 minute walk to the main tourist, shopping, and hotel areas. There were several good restaurants nearby. I will most likely have to return to Vientiane within the next couple of months and I plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms were very quiet. I highly recommend the Khop Chai Deu bar and grill, about a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for more than two weeks, on a business trip. The hotel is well located; 7 min walk to the center, which keeps it calm and quiet while still being convenient. The hotel itself is based around an inner garden giving all its charm to this place. It has beautiful pool and you can have your breakfast just next to it, they’ll serve you there.
The breakfast might look limited at the buffet but then you can order pancakes, egg and bacon, French toast, omelets, offering nice variation and always just cooked food, which to me is always better than something sitting at a buffet for hours.
The rooms are new, with nice furniture, spacious and very comfortable bed. All the rooms have TV will lots of international channels. The shower room is big enough and you have good water pressure.
Finally, the internet worked great, never ever let me down, which is great when you’re here for business. Laundry gets back in 24h, sometimes less. They will also arrange all transportation needs you may have and actually the staff being always helpful you can ask easily about any of the troubles or needs you have.
I was impressed, especially for the price, and I will stay here again, which to me says it all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pierre-Yves B
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights. All the staff were very friendly and helpfful. It was very clean - yes women were on their knees cleaning. The pool was awesomeand they were continually checking te quality of water. At night around pool was mosquitos - saw very few mosquitoes inour room. I asked at front desk about getting plane tickets to Hanoi.They booked them for us Plus aride to airport.
Tony, the Manager, booked for room in hotel in Hannoi,(worked well) for Peter to pick us up at airport late at night (worked well) and then he booked for us a trip to HaLong Bay I will never know how the guides do it, but they do a great job. We were picked up at our hotel on time in Hanoi,, driven to Ha Long Bay, they split us up (because everyone books a different iterary thru different people) and the 2 of us were taken by guide to a restaurant - excellent food, Alex, our guide pickd us up nd we wwent and got on boat It was wonderful, the food was truly amazing, the staff were greatand wonderful karyoki singers/next day 2 0f us got taken to anotherboat taken to Cat ay island/ climber a mountain with a great giude Alan/ taken to hotel on island - great - picked uup and taken to main port - again we were aqken toa place to eat/ picked us up and back to Hotel Thanks uou Tony great job

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stay 2 nights in Vientiane Garden Hotel. I choose this hotel because it is the best rate I could find on Internet with a Swimming pool.
It was a great surprise! For this good price I got a very nice room, very confortable and beautiful garden with swimming pool.
To go in details: my room was big, everything is new and king size bed is very confortable. Internet is free and fast. TV is a big LCD screen. In the room there is coffee and tea for free.
The swimming pool is so nice in a luxury tropical garden.
The staff is very friendly and very helpful (if you need to book bus or everything).
Breakfast in morning is great and include in price.
And last very good point you can get bicycle in order to visit Vientiane.
If I have to come back to Vientiane, I will for sure come back to this Hotel.

Room Tip: There garden rooms or balcony rooms. I like garden, easy to go to the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travelon77
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Our room was spacious, great for lying down and lazy the whole day in room after excursions around. Staffs would help for massage service and private breakfast in room. Hotel with great garden where we had relax time to get fresh air. Location was not bad in Vientiane, ask staffs for some local traditional restaurants nearby for great food and wine. Otherwise, The Vietnamese manager would help us for flight tickets and extend Visa for our next vacation in Vietnam.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Brook C
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this hotel on the strength of the other recommendations on this website. I stayed 2 nights and paid $40 a night for a double. Rereading the other reviews, I still do not know what the other reviewers are talking about. I am amazed at some of the superlatives being thrown out there "Best Bed!" "Best value in 50 years"!!?? I checked into room 404 which is a ground floor room facing the pool. The pros: It was clean and spacious, pool is nice but a bit small, the bed was comfortable, bathroom was fine with your typical toothbrush, soap, shaving kit accessories, location is convenient, and the breakfast is good. The cons: mosquitoes infested the room. If you stood in the middle of the room, you could literally see hundreds of mosquitoes flying around. I bought a mosquito racquet to try to reduce the population in my room and every swipe took down 2 or 3. I asked the staff if there was anything I could do, and they gave me a aerosol can of bug spray and told me to spray the room. When I returned I covered myself in repellant and tried to sleep through the night. When I woke, the floor was literally covered with hundreds of dead mosquitoes.
Anyways, the pest problems aside, there are much better values nearby. The Chindamay guesthouse nearby has clean doubles at 20% of the price. They don't have a pool but far far superior value. Also, I didn't experience the same amazing service the other reviewers have glowed about. When I checked out, the desk guy was very reluctant to accept a credit card payment, complaining that cash was better, that my bank would tack on an additional 3% charge, that he thought something was wrong with my card.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo