“Simple elegance, clean and comfortable”

Mandala Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Mandala Boutique Hotel was really a darling smart choice that I made. After traveling solo for 4 weeks, I needed a calm, clean and comfortable respite. Each and every staff on hand provided the perfect amount of attention -- only when needed -- and attended to my every trivial request.

I appreciated the soft, subtle and understated decor -- all done in a very elegant way. I enjoyed my lunches and dinners on their outside veranda which was framed by magnolia. So fragrant and lovely! In addition, the staff ensured I received my priority mail that I was so concerned wouldnt make it in my hands...and it did!

This is an excellent pick for either the business, holiday, or solo traveller. A nice retreat from the busy dusty and construction heavy center city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mandala Boutique Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and was given a discount down to $60 a night. The rooms are clean with good a good shower, air con is good ( I love an AC that cools the room down in minutes).

Room decor was charming, lovely feature wall with tasteful picture. Good selection of TV chanels, better than some of the more expensive hotels I stayed at in Laos. TV not being a necessity but in the rainy season its nice to have something to do indoors. Not a 4 star but i'd say a few steps above a guesthouse.

All staff were nice, happy to help, lots of smiling.

General ambiance is peaceful with a lovely garden to have a read or a few quite drinks.

The only draw back I'd say is the location, its a little way from the main tourist drag but close to the two main temples in Vientiane so I guess it depends what you're after.

I'd stay again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent a few nights at the Mandala Boutique Resort. It was certainly different from other boutique hotels I have stayed. I can say that Mandala really fullfills its slogan "a place like home"

Don't book Mandala looking for posh rooms, 5 star service or its room service menu. Book Mandala if you looking for a raw, friendly, relaxing, home-like kind of hotel.

I asked for a second floor room which they didn't have avail and also asked for a double bed which I didn't get. Took me a day or two to realize that in Vientiane things go at a different pace. The fact that some rooms are lacking some privacy because of facing the restaurant and that I didn't even have something as basic as a Do Not Disturb sign or a hotel services booklet seemed annoying at the beginning, but was not really important a few days after.

Mandala will offer you the kindness and friendliness of Lao people, for sure they will do their best to accommodate your requests and they are constant,y striving to improve the quality of their services. The hotel has a great potential and they are hiring people to help them improve.

Wifi was spotless never had a problem. The room was spacious and clean and toilet was very nice except for the fact that only a curtain separates the bathroom from the room. Some may find it annoying. For me it was ok.

Breakfast is simple but very good. Home made yoghurt was one of the hightlights of my trip, great selection and amazing taste. There's an inviting reading lounge / library too.

Location is 15' walking from downtown. Is not in the centre but didn't bother us walking. We rented a motorbike though. Vientiane is very small you can walk the whole city in 1 hour!

If you want a western standard hotel you may be dissappointed, if what you looking for is the real Lao hospitality in a very nicely designed property that feels like home: book Mandala.

I will certainly consider coming back if I go back to Vientiane.

Room Tip: If you worry about privacy, get a second floor room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eddiecreagh
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Very comfortable, clean and quiet. Lovely breakfast setting. The decor of the hotel (an old converted school) was tastefully done. People who have mobility problems please request a ground room floor as there is no lift. Staff were very helpful, although a few did have problems understanding English. The hotel is just a short ride by tuk tuk to all the sights and I noticed a laundry over the road. Highly recommended

Room Tip: If unable to climb stairs (which are steep) ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I trapped a nerve in my leg on our first day in Vientiane and was unable to travel for over a week. The hotel that we were staying in did not have a room to cope with our unplanned extended stay so the travel company found us a room in the Mandala. We stayed there for just under a week in November 2012 while I had physiotherapy treatment.

I have to say from the moment we arrived, the staff could not have been more helpful. We stayed in the room off the lobby which was perfect as moving around was difficult and stairs a bit of a challenge! The room was clean, bright and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and the outside dining area fitted in with the rest of the ambience. Although there was a slight language difference, we never failed to communicate. The garden is quiet and peaceful and, as an example of the service, I fell asleep one morning on one of the sun loungers and woke up to find a carafe of water and glass beside me. That was typical of our whole time at the hotel.

Although it is not in the centre of town, it is only about 15 - 20 minutes walk and the hotel will happily arrange a tuk-tuk or taxi for you. In fact, I believe that being just outside the busy centre, and therefore away from the noise, is one of its advantages.

Yes, to a certain extent like many others, this hotel is a work in progress but it is making that progress very quickly. One has to remember the constraints under which it and many others operate. If the wifi goes down (it did not during our stay), or the hotel cannot find a certain food ingredient, that is a function of the infrastructure, not a fault of the hotel.

We will definitely stay there again if we ever find ourselves in Vientiane. For that level of personal service, we can put up with the odd minor hiccup - not that there were many!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was by far the best hotel I stayed in during my recent trip to the whole country,having experienced a plethora of plumbing issues,power cuts and powerless power points . The staff are friendly and the spacious bedrooms are tastefully decorated with firm / lao style comfortable beds. Situated in a quiet residential area , there is easy access to the city by foot or tuk tuk and one can easily be organised .Breakfast taken in a lovely semi outdoor area was of a good standard including, fresh authentic croissants , mulberry jam and scrummy yoghurts -try the passion fruit one!
There are plenty of little places to sit and chill dotted around the hotel, whether you want to read,write,chat or do 'wi fi' .
In a developing country new to the concept of a boutique hotel, this one with signs of just a little of 'work in progress' noticeable(e.g. security box unattached to wall), comes pretty close to being perfect.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view of the garden
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gastroroam
Reviewed February 27, 2013

very lovely place...they have an open air restaurant too and an excellent breakfast...the slight problem is that communicating with the Laotian staff was very difficult - true, you cannot expect them to speak English (or French or German) but when you want information or help or pay the bill you need someone around who can communicate with you...thankfully here the management comes to help in this situations...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple