Mandala Boutique Hotel
Vayakorn Inn(Vientiane)
$36
$22
Agoda.com
All reviewsconverted housethree night stayquiet side streetminutes walkingnight marketdeluxe roomthe rivercapital citylaundry servicerooms are spaciousstayed here for nightsrenovationenglishstopoverkipmekongwardrobe
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this small hotel. The room was smallish but adequate. The TV had a good selection of channels and there was a small fridge. The shower was good with a rainshower nozzle (although the temp was a little low). The only downside was that the noise in the corridor carried so that, if you had inconsiderate neighbours as we did one night, the sound was very loud in your room. The breakfast was one of the best we have had on our travels. Beautiful fresh baquettes, good freshly prepared omelettes and lovely local yoghurt served by friendly staff and taken on a peaceful platform in the garden. The hotel is a little far out but we didn't mind the walk and it does mean that you are away from traffic noise and fumes.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are better as the downstairs ones seem close to the breakfast area and less private.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I were arriving in Vientiane late and only staying one night on the first leg of our Laos trip so we booked somewhere "cheap and cheerful".

The hotel airport pick-up didn't arrive (we later found out that another guest had cancelled their airport pick-up but the hotel got muddled on who had cancelled so sent the driver to collect the non shower and cancelled our pick-up, a long and painful story to type out but it gives you an idea of what to expect in Laos).

The room was fairly nice, very basic but nothing much to go wrong either. There are lots of mosquitoes in the rooms and around the hotel. No one cares about mosquitoes so you have to bring lots of repellent. This is typical in Laos - it is no Singapore!

The breakfast was surprisingly good. Fresh baguette and croissant, natural yoghurt and stuff. Simple but the best I tried during my week in Laos. What was particularly impressive is that a German chap arrived at the breakfast bar and checked the freshness of the food and inspected the area - he turned out to be the manager. It was very obvious in Laos that hotels/restaurants with a western manager had higher standards. The local staff are always polite but have never travelled outside the country so can't comprehend higher international standards.

Location wise the hotel is not ideal for the main sights but if it isn't too hot or raining the town centre is only 10 to 15 minutes walk away.

In short, a nice place to stay and good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

we booked what we thought were 'Deluxe rooms' at the Mandala Boutique hotel believing - as the website says - we would have a private terrace - but not so - not only did we not have a terrace we were put in rooms adjacent to the restaurant meaning there was no privacy - for example in the morning as people were breakfasting 5m away all curtains had to be kept closed - basically you couldnt be in your room with the curtains open and the only other light source was the plastic roof above the bathroom - a very strange concept. Obviously I didnt stay in the room unless absolutely necessary! Saying that - the room itself had every amenity, the breakfast staff were delightful and the hotel is situated in a quiet part of toen - albeit quite a distance from the centre.. i would say definitely worth a stay but be specific and say you dont want a room by the restaurant.

Room Tip: NOT a room by the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were delighted with the service and amenities of this charming hotel. It was indeed a bit of a walk in and out of town (or 30,000 kip for a tuk tuk if you're a good bargainer) but the walk is cool and quiet in the evenings along some of the main sights in town.

Our superior room was charmingly decorated with excellent air conditioning and wifi and the breakfast spot couldn't have been more perfect. The breakfast seemed a bit meager until you realise that you can order extras such as omelets, which are very good. The staff was extremely helpful as well - we had very nice chats with the young man from Phonsavan and the woman who used to run a weaving studio. Their new bartender, Philip from Denmark, was very friendly and gave us some great background on Lao culture and structure.

We would definitely stay here again, they gave us a great start to our Lao adventure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
MandalaBoutiqueHotel, Manager at Mandala Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Klozknitz,
thank you very much for the kind review and positive feedback.
The breakfast menu will be have an even bigger variety in the near future as we have a new chef and we are working on the menu.
Also, during your next stay you might take one of our new bicycles for a ride into downtown.

We are looking forward meeting you at Mandala Boutique Hotel again.

In the name or our team

Philipp
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My first impression was great, a graceful old Colonial mansion tastefully restored with a beautiful new outside dining pavilion. The superior room I had reserved was a bit small so i changed to a suite with it's own outside area. Very nice. I had the hotel get me a tuc tuc so I could see the town and orientate myself. I then realized that it was quite a way into town, too far to walk in the heat of the day, That evening I tried to get a tuc tuc and discovered that they only hang around the downtown area. I walked for a long time before getting one. If it's a quiet retreat you are looking for this place is ideal but be prepared for the $6.00 round trip into town every time you want to go.
The breakfast was fine the place is with new owners and it has new staff so they are a bit raw but trying very hard. I had to mix a gin & tonic for myself.If they could provide their own tuc tuc's it would be fine.

Room Tip: The superior and deluxe rooms were bit small but tastefully decorated the suite was more to my liking as I like room to move and sit.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo