“An undiscovered Secret”

Kungs Cafe
Ranked #24 of 392 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Cafe, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“An undiscovered Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

My friend Dick told me "I've found this great little cafe and I want you to come and see it". After a few weeks I agreed and I was not disappointed.
Sticky rice pancakes with mango and drizzled honey plus a great coffee coconut shake made for a superb afternoons repast. In fact, I took several Lao friends there who declared they had no idea where it was. It's down a side lane about 70 metres but worth discovering. And the old fella that owns it (Mr JB) teaches English and French classes after it closes. He speaks English with only a slightly discernible American tinge.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Daniel G

Vientiane, Laos
“Off the beaten path, great food and ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

When someone visits me in Laos, the first place I take them is Kungs for sticky rice pancakes, pork soup, mango fruit shakes, and great Lao coffee!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank mikeinlaos
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

When we arrived, we realised that it was past the opening hours! The lady boss however was very nice to accommodate us. We had the sticky rice mango pancake, which was THE BEST dessert we had in Laos!! She even showed us how to do it!

We also had soup noodles and fried noodles, both of which were also delicious!

Lovely ambience down a long alley!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank JulynnG
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Find it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I concur with a recent review by Stutravel. It was a pleasure to dine at Kungs, and luckily as it was quiet spend some quality time with the very lovely and humble owner Maly. She is a delight and was more than happy to chat at length with my wife and I. I encouraged her to display a bigger sign at the alleyway as it's very easy to miss and she deserves the patronage. An experience in itself.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Warwick182
Windsor
“Disappointing throughout!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at around 12:30 when there were about 4 tables eating/waiting to be served. The waitress ignored us so we had to find some menus. After 10 minutes of asking to order and the waitress walking away, they finally took our order. The papaya salad was inedible and we refused to pay for it and the rest of the food was tasty but very small portions. It seems like a cute little place but they need more staff if they cannot handle 4 tables. in the time we were there they got orders wrong, someone walked out from the frustration of being ignored and they took so long to bring out the food someone was late back from their lunch break, it did not seem that it is the best place to eat in vientiane!

3 Thank BTaylor276