“Just love, love, love.”

Ranked #2 of 197 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Just love, love, love.”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

As soon as I arrived, it all felt so right. Their "Welcome Sara" sign at the entrance, the staff's smiles and the map that they give to all the guests (a very special jewel where they have marked all the good restaurants, all the good veggie places, all the good attractions, all the good… etc., etc.) – everything was just perfect from the beginning. People tell me "what? Why do you like Vientiane? It's a boring city". But maybe some travelers don't like Vientiane because they didn't stay at Moonlight Champa! That is my guess. The special map made me going to the greatest places so I didn't had to wast time and money going to bad restaurants and massage places. And the friendly Lee (not sure about the spelling of his name) who works there even helped me to write a note to a beauty salon so they would understand that I wanted a face treatment. And the lovely Tú (not sure about the spelling of his name either) wrote me a note that I carried around in Laos for a month since it was so useful and cute: "Hello. I am a vegetarian, but egg is ok. Thank you so much". Except sweet Tu and Lee, Canadian Brad was super friendly as well. And Isabella. Sweet, sweet Isabella. For me, she was not only a hotel owner, but also a new friend. Brad, Isabella, me and some other guests went to the night market together and I really felt home (yes, I have already said it) during my 5 days in Vientiane. Even a night when I was extremely tired I just sat in the lobby, chatting with Isabella about life, the children in Laos, dreams… She is such a strong and warm person with the heart on the right place. If you want to explore the best part of Vientiane and skip the mediocre parts: stay at Moonlight.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarasusername

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I have just checked in here from a hostel in vietianne.
They are so kind friendly and welcoming.
The room is clean sunny and peaceful.
They even have little slippers for you to borrow!
Free tea coffee and water. ...
I've had a naff couple days and I'm so pleased I've found this little gem. Thanks. :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This completely renovated guesthouse is run by an exceptionally interesting, friendly and intelligent lady called Isabella. Fundamentally, she and her character are what shape the place.

She encourages sociability and you have the opportunity to make friends with other guests and with her. If you don't know Vientiane, it's invaluable to have this sort of atmosphere but if you prefer to be somewhat anonymous, it wouldn't be for you.

The refurbishment has been done well, the beds and bathrooms are comfortable and I think it represents excellent value.

One word of warning: the stairs are extremely steep and there is no lift.

My wife and I not only enjoyed our stay but we hope to remain friends with Isabella for a long time.

Stephen Kreppel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We loved our stay in the Moonlight Champa. Upon arrival a note was scribbled onto the chalkboard welcoming us - what a nice touch! The owners Brad and Isabella are both incredibly friendly and helpful, as are Mr. Lei and the rest of the staff - I really can't say enough good things about them all - always welcoming, with big smiles on their faces, and happy to help out with any queries, recommendations, etc. If you're chilling out in the lobby area they'll offer you a coffee - really just the nicest people and best hotel staff I've ever had in Asia.

We opted for the deluxe room which has a balcony overlooking the front of the Settha Palace Hotel. It was lovely being able to finish off our evenings in Vientiane with a nice drink on the balcony. The rooms are clean, the beds are super comfortable, and the lobby is very welcoming and comfortable, a nice place to chill out for a bit, inside or out. Location is good - only short walks to the morning market, fountain, museum and temples. At 250,000kip (approx $33) it's a bargain.

Because of how great the staff are, how welcome I was made to feel, and how in just two nights it had already felt like home - I would highly recommend staying in the Moonlight Champa as a terrific budget option, and when I return to Vientiane I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and I was very impressed. The room was spotlessly clean, staff very helpful. I didn't think it overpriced for what it is. Most importantly, the staff cared about whether their guests had a good time, had questions etc. I would really recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are just back from our second trip to Moonlight Champa, it is officially our Laos home.

We fell in love with the place on our first visit due to the incredible staff, wonderful room, and inviting lobby. The staff are makes the place so fantastic, they are super friendly and very knowledgable. I love traveling with a local and they provided that same experience. Each trip they give us great recommendations for places to eat and things to do. They even went so far as to take us and other guests to an incredible Korean BBQ, complete with hot pots full of burning coals. We would have never found that place on our own and it was great fun to enjoy with other guests. (Not to mention an impromptu dinner with other guests in the lobby the first night, after a trip to the night market.)

The lobby is my other favorite feature for other guests hang out downstairs, so you can meet other interesting travelers. The guesthouse seems to attract awesome people.

The rooms were all recently renovated to have super comfy beds, with a down comforter, which I used as the AC is ice cold. The bathrooms are very clean; a single room for sink, toilet and shower (no separate shower space).

Free coffee, tea and water is provided. They don't provide breakfast, but given the huge list of restaurant recommendations, it would be a shame to miss any on the list. Their list is seriously the best.

Moonlight Champa was the first place we stayed over seas and it is the unbelievably high standard that I measure all places too...so am generally disappointed. They just can't compare.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank fierytree
Boulder, CO
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at Moonlight Champa. As many reviewers have mentioned, the best feature of this guest house is the staff. They sit you down with a map and give you a nice overview of the city and the main attractions. They can also answer your questions about traveling throughout Laos.

Our double room was very small and the bathroom even smaller. It's a bit cramped for two people. But the bed was comfortable and the wifi worked well. Overall, it wasn't bad.

The location is okay. You are away from the river a bit, but you can walk there in a few minutes. There are some interesting things to see in the nearby areas, but we often wished we were a little closer to the restaurants and cafes near the river.

The only real negative aspect of Moonlight Champa for me was the lack of an included breakfast. Good restaurants are a few minutes walk away, and it was just a little inconvenient.

Is it a good value? For the money, you get a small but clean room and excellent information from the owners. But you are little bit away from the heart of town and no breakfast. Overall, we thought it was a decent value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple