“Wonderful, flavoursome food near night market”
Review of Noor Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Noor Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We ate three times at Noor's and each time we loved the food. The garlic naan bread was great and we loved the Lao influence on the flavours, so different from Indian in Australia. We spent about $10 for both of us on each visit.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Ordered vegetable samosas, garlic naan and a chicken korma. Was very enjoyable, best samosas I have had anywhere in Thailand and Laos. The korma lacked a bit of flavour but still enjoyed it. Naan was a good size, not thick and doughy. Friendly staff, good food - will visit again

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Noor restaurant is located on the riverfront. I had BeerLao, Garlic Nan and Egg Dosa. The food was palatable but fairly costly. However I did not get the time to compare this restaurant's food with the longer established Nizam, Taj Mahal or Fathima restaurants.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Another objective review from FattM. As always, your results may vary.

While in Vientiane on a visa run/ long weekend, I stopped in here because I hadn't had an Indian curry for about eight months and I really wanted one and I also didn't want to be bothered walking up and down Mixay Village streets looking at one laminated plastic/ three ring binder menu after another.

I went to Noor twice. First night, it took them three tries to get an aloo gobi right. "Aloo" means potato, not spinach or cottage cheese or puréed peas or cauliflower. Normally a fairly easy going guy, I was a little annoyed that I had to tell an Indian guy what goes into aloo gobi- three times. I also didn't want to be given a bottle of water and have it show up on my bill.

But anyway, the food was decent and most of the people around me seemed to be happy with what they had. I would have been happier if everything I ordered had arrived at once, but when I did get it, it was fine. Big test for chicken tikka masala: is the chicken actually cooked properly? If it's pink instead of white, thumbs down. Noor's chicken was perfectly white. The took the botched aloo gobi off the bill and I ended up paying something like 62,000 kip including the water I didn't want.

Next night, I had exactly the same thing (chicken tikka masala, aloo gobi, garlic naan and a big Lao). It cost me 78,000 kip. Kind of a lot, but they have a pretty prime spot so they've gotta pay the rent. They also hadn't tried to slip me the free-but-not really water this time.

I can't fall all over myself and proclaim this "The best Indian food in Laos" but it was okay and didn't cause too much intestinal distress, always a decent indicator of a decent Indian meal.

For my Muslim readers, Noor is Halal. For my non-Muslim readers, this means they don't have a license to serve alcohol. But you can still order a beer and so if you see your waiter going down the street to get your beer, it's only because he has to buy it from an outside shop.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Noor opened about a year ago on the riverfront (early 2012?)
I had a chana masala and garlic nan here - good food but they aren't really doing anything to differentiate themselves from the longer established Nizam, Taj Mahal or Fathima restaurants.

Worth trying for the food alone but they could do a better job of making the place more appealing.