“Best Pakistani food I've had in SE Asia, no question”

Jamil Zahid Punjabi Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 408 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Pakistani
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Please note that if you are coming to my restaurant that the map on trip advisor is incorrect we are actually very close to Bang Long Vietnamese Temple.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pakistani food I've had in SE Asia, no question”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable food (the chicken or mutton Channa masala, the tandoori tikka, the daal, and definitely addicted to the butter naan), great atmosphere (off the street, cool, quiet, hip, and like eating at home.... Granted, a very cool home with food far beyond anything i could dream of concocting!). Follow the alley across from Mspot market thru the tables that look like a low rent wedding and boom, you're there. Not to be missed in Vientiane.

1 Thank MagicMikeSF

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Warning this place is a dump”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hi I am traveling the past few weeks with my girlfriend , we are very carful not to get sick while traveling . We got a flyer for this place and said we would look at the reviews so all is good so we set out to find it . We spent 2 hours looking and couldn't find this place people were raving about so we gave up . On night 2 in Vientiane we set out again with better knowledge of the area and eventually found it. It's a glorified shed not a restaurant so like you have to do in Asia sometimes just sit down order and hope for the best . So we turned a blind eye to the fact it was a shed and the dog walkin around the "restaurant" and we ordered first off the complacently bottled water wasn't sealed ,which we only realised after our meal , secondly my plate was dirty when it arrived . The food was very ordinary and in knee I was going to be sick after eating it . I almost immediately knew that something wasn't right so 6 am the next morning I wake with cramps and spend 45 min on the bog , I had to shower afterwards I felt so disgusting . I then I took to writing this review .Don't just don't eat here trust me

3 Thank Celica99
“Very nice food”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very nice food and authentic indian&punjabi food.we live and work in lao.we visit this reasturant every week.price also very nominal

4 Thank Jacobjohninlaos
Vientiane, Laos
“The most charming restaurant in VTE”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Jamil and his wife make all there food fresh, the menu is small but has everything you could want from Northern Indian/ Pakistani cuisine. My favorites are the beef Masala and the eggplant dish. His breads are by far the best in Vientiane as well as his chai. He is super friendly and very fun to talk to. The restaurant is a bit hard to find but once you do you will keep going back, the atmosphere is perfect as are the sweet Lasis!

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank SafariSammy
Bonn
“delicious north indian food surrounded by friendly service”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We tried a lot of indian restaurants in South East Asia, but the food was nowhere as authentic and tasty as in Jamil Zahids Punjabi Restaurant.

We liked it so much that we visited Jamil both days of our 2-day vientiane stay.
They have a real clay oven (tandoor) and know how to deal with it ;) We ordered the garlic and a butter naan which was at the same time crusty and soft...so delicious!! The long-time marinated chicken tikka sheek kebab comes with fresh salad and a traditional green and spicy dip. Chicken was tender and well grilled in the tandoor. We can also recommend the channa masala which makes me think of rajasthani food. Sooo yummy!!!
The second day we recogniced that they have an airconditioned area inside and so we stayed a whole afternoon in the cool room and could plan our trip with the free wifi. We enjoyed the small talk with Jamil who is really interested in his guests and that they feel comfortable.
We can highly recommend this place :)

2 Thank Lisa L