“Vientiane's Best Kept Hidden Indian Secret”

Jamil Zahid Punjabi Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 401 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Please note that if you are coming to my restaurant that the map on trip advisor is incorrect we are actually very close to Bang Long Vietnamese Temple.
Vientiane, Laos
“Vientiane's Best Kept Hidden Indian Secret”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Well it used to be Vientiane's Best Kept Hidden Indian (Pakistani) Secret, until people like me started sharing it with all their friends. Hidden at the end of an alley that most people simply pass by, which makes it feel like you're not inside the noisy city even though you're literally 5 mins from the traffic, Jamil Zahid Punjabi Restaurant was THE place to go for me and my friends when we wanted an Indian fix.

Here's the kind of experience that you can expect:
- The variety of food on offer is splendid, tastes better than the other places that I've tried in the city, and the servings are generous. It's seriously great value for such good food. I'm a huge fan of the veggie dishes, garlic and cheese naan, and banana lassi.
- Free wifi (not the greatest speed-wise but it worked the last time that I was there)
- A used book donation service. They let my travelling friend borrow a book from there which was really nice - hopefully somebody will donate a book shelf because the pile on the table was getting out of control! If you're travelling and finished a book, leave it on the table for somebody else to enjoy!

The best thing that this place has going for it is its family. Zahid and his wife are wonderfully warm and hospitable, and their son Jamil is sweet lil guy. One time it was freezing cold out and Zahid and his wife set up a table inside their house for our group! We were so grateful!

I will warn you that service can be slow, even slower than standard "Lao service time", when the restaurant is packed but I think that's a testament to the quality of the establishment and a great sign that people love it and keep coming back.

I know it'll be one of my first stops for dinner when I'm back in Vientiane that's for sure!

• Visited February 2012
7 Thank infuzion

• Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
“my favourite restuarant in Laos”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

One of the best kebab 's ive ever had. The service is good ,natural , brings in the Lao relaxation mood .Affordable food and good , good hanging out place not crowded, plus the wireless is very fast real value for your money""
\

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank g27_12
Vientiane, Laos
“Visit this restaurant when you are in Vientiane”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Excellent service! Tasty Indian food! Been here several times and they never disappoint me. The owner and the staff is so accommodating.

• Visited August 2012
7 Thank Shan_Oni
Vientiane, Laos
“A gem of a place tucked away”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great food, cooked fresh, reasonable prices and the owner is a 'character'.
Definitely one of my favourites in a city with many choices.
My second visit today, but not my last.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank DavidW8889
“The Best”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

As others have stated - best, cheapest and most peaceful Indian (Pakistani) restaurant in town. Unpretentious, simple, fresh and earthy "home" cooking. I visit the restaurant at least every other day when I am in Vientiane. Also nice for spending time with friends. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012