“quite interesting if you have enough time”
Review of Buddha Park

Buddha Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$65.00*
and up
Guided Vientiane City and Buddha Park Full-Day...
Ranked #7 of 58 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Owner description: This sculpture park is a collection of hundreds if Buddhist and Hindu statues scattered around a meadow.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

When I first came to Vientiane I saw the price list in a tuk tuk that a round trip to Budha park cost 195000 kip for 1-3 people.
Well, to be honest Budha park is not worthed if you have to pay that much.
Another way to go is by taking a bus no 14 in a bus terminal near Talat Sao mall (a decent bus with air conditioner) that costs 6000 kip to the friendship bridge. After that you will be transfered to a medium bus (no AC). The road is very dusty after the friendship bridge so you better prepare glasses and a mask. One way trip to Budha park takes more than half an hour.

The entrance to Budha Park costs 5000 kip and camera costs 3000 kip. The budha park itself is quite interesting as it has many statues of budha and some hindu gods and goddesses. The most interesting thing is a pumpkin like building that has 3 floors inside and you can climb up to the top of it. But do be careful the stairs are very narrow. The statues in Budha Park are made of concrete. So it is not a ruin from the past. No historical value but quite interesting. However, there is no written explanation about the statues on the park. There are some writings in Lao but nothing in English.
A wonderful thing that happened to me in Budha Park was that I met a student monk. He wanted to practice his English so we talked about many things while strolling the Budha Park. This was the first time that I could really talk with a monk so I asked a lot of questions about Budhism and the monk life as he also asked questions about my country and my religion. :)

To go back to Vientiane you can wait for the medium bus (but it's rare) or take any tuk tuk that passes budha park. Tuk tuk costs 5000 kip to the friendship bridge. As the road is very dusty it is time to wear the mask and the glasses. From the friendship bridge you take the bus no 14 back to Viantiane.

Overall, Budha Park is quite an interesting place to visit by bus and if you have enough time in Viantiane.

3  Thank Ekazfootprint
Write a ReviewReviews (2,058)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"morning market"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm pretty well traveled but this was a sight I'd never seen before. If you have the time in Vientiane, it is worth the effort to get there. Take the number 14 bus from the central bus station to the Friendship bridge bus station. Then take a pick up "taxi" the remainder of the way to Buddha Park. People talked about the bumpy road but it was nothing compared to other really bumpy roads in northern Laos. Entry was 5000 kip and there was a 3000 kip free to use your camera. I didn't pay but should have as a postcard of the Buddha Park was 2000 kip. The climb to the top of the round structure is a must but be aware that the stairs are very steep.

2  Thank ohiowanderer
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had no idea what to expect here, but was pleasantly surprised after a bit of walking around.

As mentioned by other reviewers, it is a bit of a trek out of town to get to on this beautiful spot on a dirt road along the river, but worth the long drive. We hired a car from our guesthouse and got to just enjoy the scenery.

There are obviously a lot of Buddha images here in various poses. There is a large stupa(?) near the back of the park that is a popular thing to climb up it's steep steps.

The best part for me was the large round building at the front of the park. We skipped it when we first went in, as there were a lot of people in and on it.

We were glad we did! It was near sunset when we were finished with the rest of the park, and got to explore this multi-level structure alone and in detail. There really is a lot going on inside that I wasn't expecting, including a secret room that you could miss if you aren't careful.

It's not very well-lit inside. I happen to carry a flashlight for just such adventures, and were glad we had it with us. The stairs inside are narrow, steep, and curve in places you wouldn't normally expect. Not to mention falling through the stairwell holes in each floor might be somewhat unpleasant if you stumble around blindly.

It was a fantastic way to top off the visit!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

To get to Buddha Park we arranged transport to get us there from Vientianne. The ride was an extremely bumpy one like those ATV rides or imagine yourself on an outback ride in a theme park. Was quite an experience but please keep your stomachs empty while you're traveling. The sights were extraordinary. However it'd be better if there were information about each statue. We climbed up the 3 story pumpkin liked structure and once you're on top, you'll see a magnificent view of the entire park. Beware that the steps up the pumpkin is extremely steep and vertical so wear shoes if possible and be extremely careful. :)