“SO SAD”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“SO SAD”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I went to Wat Sok Pa Luang today to go to the sauna and get a massage and I found out that the building where they used to do massages burned down in a fire! They said it burned down a couple weeks ago (the area with the ashes was still smelly) and that for the foreseeable future they will not offer massages again. The temple is just like many of the others in town so I wouldn't waste the money on a tuk tuk to go out there if you're just going for the temple (it's nice but you can see better ones within walking distance of downtown). I'm so sad and bummed that the massages and sauna are no more.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Cait G

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Go for the sauna, maybe?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I found this place a little bit of a disappointment maybe because we were not there for the sauna or massage. We just wanted to see this temple.
It is quite different from the rest of the temples because of its leafy jungle like compounds which is really huge, compared to those at the main streets. However wherever we walked we felt like we were encroaching on others living quarters so we did not wonder too far.
The main temple building was closed too so we did not get it. Our experience might have been different if we went for the sauna and massage.

2 Thank TheTravellingStomach
Koh Tao, Thailand
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved this! My bf and I came here via tuk tuk and then had to wander around for a while to find the actual sauna and spa. The temple grounds are quirky and lovely, with monks hanging around in their little houses. We thought we were in the wrong temple as we couldn't find the sauna but then someone we asked told us where it was, which is just inside the main gates then off to the side. The building is a rustic little house with a bunch of dogs hanging around wih the ladies. We were given sarongs to change into then headed into a dark wooden sauna room filled with steam. We stayed a while, took a break then went back in. We weren't rushed at all, and could have stayed as long as we wanted. When we had enough we were given fresh sarongs to. Hangs into and some tea, then had massages. We were outdoors with birds all around. The staff were all having a chat so it wasn't super quiet but that added to the charm. We spent several hours there and it cost 50000kip each. A really cool experience that I highly recommend!

2 Thank Cynthia J
Hamburg, Germany
472 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 294 helpful votes
“sauna, massage and meditation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This temple is shaded by huge teak trees and has a lot to offer.
Situated opposite the German Embassy a 15 minute bicycle ride from Central Vientiane, I have come here many times since I first visited in 2007.
First there is a sauna and massage - the most basic and inexpensive that you can imagine. It's an experience for nature lovers.
On Saturdays at 4 p.m. there is a guided vipassana meditation that usually takes one hour. Donations are appreciated.

Visited December 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Would have been amazing without the creeper in the sauna...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I arrived expecting a rustic sauna and massage experience so I was content and pleased with the set up. There was a wooden two story structure nestled in the forest next to a wat. I saw ducks, roosters, dogs and more on my walk in. When I arrived they directed me to change into a sarong in a little side area with a door and then said I could use the steam room as I wished. The mood was light and jovial. All the employees were chatting and laughing... So I enter the sauna and it is DARK. I feel my way to a bench along the side and breathe deeply for a bit. At this point everything was lovely. The herbs smelled great I was sweating everything out....

Then someone comes in...he was a larger man with tattoos on his chest and back. He smiled, shook my hand, asked my name and where I was from, introduced himself as "eh" and proceeds to sit directly on front of me. He cracked his neck rubbed his hands together and said "massage neck" not a question. Just a statement. I hesitated and said "oh you massage in here too?" he said yes. He started massaging my shoulders. Seemed legit. Then he moved to my collarbone/chest. I'm not a particularly shy person when it comes to massages so I went with it....then his hands moved south....under the sarong. He seemed so relaxed about it...and I was so surprised it took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. I said I'd had enough sauna and stepped outside. I tried to ask the women if we were supposed to be massaged in the sauna. They did the typical smile and nod "I have no idea what you're saying" thing... I went and had my massage with the girl who was waiting to give it to me. That was good. I watched lizards and hummingbirds and butterflies flit about. But the whole experience was ruined by the molester in the sauna. I was questioning myself as to what had happened the whole massage. By the end I realized he was not an employee just a patron. I tried to tell the people again quietly what had happened but he was still there and they weren't understanding what I was saying. There were a number of western tourists there having a lovely time. it was a shame this man ruined what would have otherwise been a unique and relaxing experience. I would go back but please know there are NO in sauna massages happening!!!!!

5 Thank Chitownlarge