“Decent hotel with close proximity to airport, massage, Mekong river”
Review of Mercure Vientiane

Mercure Vientiane
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Singapore
“Decent hotel with close proximity to airport, massage, Mekong river”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here on a company retreat. The rooms are decent considering that this is Laos. It is comparable to a 3 star hotel in a metrpolitan city. I like the ambience of the restaurant, that it has a nice and relaxing view of the pool and gym. There's a massage joint across the road at cheap local prices. Although walking distance to the Mekong river, I'd reckon it will take a good 20-30 mins walk to the night market.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel was great place to stay we enjoyed the 15 minute walk to the centre of town . if you're not up for the walk 1-2 US dollars will get you a tuk -tuk to town
Rooms , food, pool and service were excellent
The only improvement was the Internet access that was only available in the foyer and was time limited and charged , not free.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Australiadelegation
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here a few times if I'm transiting in Vientiane.
They are always there to pick me up from the airport no matter how far or how late in advance they are told of my flight.
Location is close to the airport but if you're staying as a tourist perhaps closer to the river would be better.
Service is always good and I've never had any travel getting them to organise things for me.
Buffet breakfast has a good selection.
Rooms are clean and a good size, good amenities as expected (toothbrushes etc) with fruit on arrival. Some rooms can be a bit dark.
If you're on an early flight they will happily pack you a breakfast box to take.

Super easy and convenient for a one night airport stopover. Oh and it has a pool which is clean!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
san francisco
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I really don't like writing bad reviews. But I really wished that I didn't stay there. I stayed for one night because Laos airlines changed my ticket. So the airline put me at the Mercure overnight in order for me to catch my transfer flight. The place is fancy but feels like it only serves business people or something, not a great feeling when you're traveling for pleasure. The pool area was just average. Not healing environment at all. It's also located in a remote location so you can't really walk anywhere. I'm also blown away that you have to pay for internet and prices for meals are triple what a cool and delicious restaurant in Vientiane would charge. If Laos Airlines change my flight ever again, I'd ask to pick my own hotel and for them to reimburse me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was in the hotel for 1 night. Everything was good except the room which was quite old. The hotel staff were good and helpfull. I will visit the hotel again next time but choose a better room category.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 20, 2012

First thing first, remember you are in Lao! If you want resort experience, then you should be heading to Thailand or Vietnam.

I have been to Vientiane and stayed in Mercure on numerous occasions. So far, the staff have been very responsive and helpful. I am surprised that one of the reviewers cannot get a panadol. I am sure the hotel has ps adios, if not the staff would have some, I believe.

I would like to specially mention Salim and Shirley who has been great. May be if you encounter problem, try to talk to them.

I will be there next week again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel recently changed from Novotel to Mercure, however, unfortunely they did not change anything else in the hotel. Service was mediocre (I asked them whether someone could go to a nearby pharmacy to get me some pain killers, they said no one is going out, while staffs were walking everywhere). Trust me, this is not a hard request for south east Asia where everyone has a motor bike. The bedroom is mediocre, all beddings are old. Torn bed sheets, ok pillow, old mattresses, you could hear the springs squeaks. Shower was ok. Room was clean. Breakfast was good, although their omelette is Asian style fried eggs.

Other than this, the hotel has no personality. I'd recommend you to stay in boutique hotels to feel the beauty of local cultures.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business