“Poor at best”

Ranked #23 of 94 Hotels in Vientiane
A TripAdvisor Member
“Poor at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

The hotel is away from everything - far enough that places like the river bank is too far to walk. The room I had was supposed to be deluxe but it was low standard at best! There was no comfortable chair and no desk space to work. On the other side the rooms had free Internet but where I was I would of had to pay but I found that the meeting room and the area around the pool had free Internet. There are many other better places to stay in Vientiane - I won't stay at the Mercure again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MercureVientiane, Webmaster at Mercure Vientiane, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of adding a comfortable chair and desk to the deluxe rooms such as you had.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Mercure Vientiane. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Poole
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Out of the nine hotels in three countries on a 20 day trip this was the worse. It's situated on a very busy main road from the city to the airport. Luckily we only had a very brief stay, overnight leaving at 4am. We had a 3rd floor room facing the road and could not get to sleep till gone 1am due to the traffic noise.

If you do stay here try to get a room at the back in the wing not facing the road if you want to sleep.

Room Tip: If you do stay here try to get a room at the back in the wing not facing the road if you want to sle...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tollyg
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. I am sorry that the noise from the traffic kept you awake.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Mercure Vientiane. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Warstein, Deutschland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed together with a colleague for only 1 night at Mercure Vientiane, but I can confirm, that we really like this hotel. It is just 10 minutes by taxi from the airprot to the hotel, and I guess as close to the center of Vientiane.
From Airprot to hotel we payd just 7 USD for taxi. And the good thing is, when coming from Thailand it is also possible to pay in Thai bath, as well as USD.

Fast check inn, friendly staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. The hotel is very tastefull furnished and there is a very cozy atmosphare all over the hotel. I like especially the area at the pool where you can sit outside with a nice drink.

Unfortunately, there are two points that cloud the overall picture somewhat. The breakfast buffet could be a bit more rich concerning the western food, and unfortunately the rooms are very light of hearing.

Nevertheless, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Not too sure what to write. I have to say that within the first night I just wanted to scream at all of them for being ripped off. Trying to charge me 21$ for a Taxi - One way to go to a Local restaurant in town!!!!!...and finaly got it for 2$......don t you think you can have reason to be upset!!!!!!
I stayed at the Executive floor with my son....but not too sure what executive meant for them. Especially the Receptionist keeping watching Karaoke all day long. Internet not being free in rooms they do provide 2 computers near by your rooms. But once again, Do they know how it works? Entering password took so long that we end up leaving for Dinner.

Room was nothing special at all....those kind of old room that you thought you will never found in an Accor property.

Therefore, Breakfast was great, Lunch was excellent and Dinner also. as much as room service. F&B staff were extremely professional and it worked as we used it everyday.

A philipino lady at the reception was very useful...thanks to her.

Would I stay there again...you know what: I think so. As at the end of my long week end, I could really sense that they were on the improvement way!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area. Thank you for saying that you could sense we were, as you put it, on the improvement way.

• Staff members received additional training in proper use of the computers.

• Staff received our commendation in the courteous, professional manner in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Staff in charge of food services received our commendation concerning their presentations.

• The Pilipino lady whom you mentioned received my personal commendation for the courteous, helpful way in which she treated you, our valued guests.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

My stay in Mercure Hotel Vientiane was very pleasant with clean sheets daily and friendly front desk staffs. Though not all of them speak good English but they greet you with a smile. The restaurant and pool have been renovated with refreshing resort look. Daily international buffet breakfast includes nasi lemak and mee siam too sometimes. The hotel manager, Mr Salim is very helpful and friendly and if you need help to plan for sight-seeing or shopping, he is always ready to help you. I had a wonderful stay in Mercure and thank you, I will be back again soon!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are better and it comes with free internet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Phuket, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

I was very exited about my trip to Laos and was in trouble when selecting the hotel. I definately wanted to stay in an international hotel, so the only option was the Mercure.
I looked at the websited and checked the pictures and concerning the prices I thought it will be fine. I also so the many bad comment on trip advisor, but still decided to give a chance and let's book in Mercure. I was wrong...

My first impression was already horrible as soon as I arrived. The staffs didnt greet me, they could hardly speak english and the most imortant that the hotel's condition is just not what I was expected. My room was very old, 2 beds pushed together, the furnitures in a very bad condition. I didnt even would give a 3 Star Hotel for it. Internet was available for a 10 USD per day. No free internet in the hotel at all.

I just could not stay there so I decided to check out. First they tried to convince me by giving an upgrade to the newly renovated rooms on the top floor (which actually looks really nice and can't compare to the one they gave me), but I didn't want to stay there after so many negative experience in the first 30 minutes.

I have moved to the Vientiane Plaza hotel which is a new hotel, much bigger and decent, great location, friendly and english speaking staffs and even the prices are less then in Mercure.

Room Tip: Make sure you got a new rooms if you decide to stay there!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank feranora
MercureVientiane, Webmaster at Mercure Vientiane, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that it didn’t work out.

• Staff received additional training in the courteous way in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Management was approached about providing free internet for our valued guests.

We take our reviews very seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again attempt to stay at Mercure Vientiane. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Bromborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Disappointed in this hotel, more 3 star than 4. Definately need in renovation, felt quite grubby . Lot of noisy guests.. About 1 mile from the main area of the city. Restaurant was OK. Glad I only stayed one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WirralLady_10
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you liked the restaurant.

• Management was reminded of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to be thoughtful of their fellow guests and keep their noise to a reasonable level.