“Okay for a few nights”
Review of iHouse

iHouse
Ranked #88 of 200 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and found it okay. We didn't read all the bad reviews until after we had checked in, so we were careful and left nothing valuable in our room. The staff were not friendly or unfriendly, they answered our questions but that was about it. The room was very small but it was clean. Again the bathroom was small but clean. The wifi was good for Loas. The air con was above the bed so it was a bit cold when you were trying to sleep. Our room had a window but it looked out onto a corridor. As others have said the breakfast is just a bread roll with butter and jam and tea/coffee. The location is pretty good, just a short walk to the river. This place is nothing special and is overpriced for what you get, but it was fine for two nights.

1  Thank AOByrne
There are newer reviews for iHouse

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Booked online on Agoda but should have checked Tripadvisor before. I travel to VTE approx. 4 times a year for government meetings and my usual little hotel was fully booked so I decided for iHouse which was a poor decision. I arrived at 9 pm and this was already a major challenge for this little place. Unfriendly welcome by the night guard. He showed us to our room 'without windows' and after we complained, the said that this is none of his business and that we can check the next day. So we did not want to put up a fight and slept in the windowless room. The next morning we tried to change the room to no avail. The staff on duty was even less friendly than the night guard so we decided to just stick to the dreadful room for one more night. By the way, we both speak fluent Thai (very similar to Lao language). Oh ja, if you need to use the bathroom or shower, make sure to apply a lot of vasilin to you body since you will otherwise not be able to turn around without scratching your skin :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Cape068
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Location is good, room (budget) is as big as a walking closet. Breakfast? Hahahaha, a baguette , some jam and a coffee tat has been sittign for days does not quaify as 'breakfast". Don't wast eyour tiem and have brekkie at the Scandinavian Bakery located a minute away from Ihouse. Service is as good as the breakfast....Beds are ok, AC works well, rooms are clean. For $20/night you can find better options around town. If you are looking for good service (or for any service at all) and to sleep past 7am go elsewhere.

Room Tip: IF you want to get a proper size room you will have ti pay $30+ and it is defnitely not worth it
1  Thank jsanz77
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Okay, so I booked and paid online and made a mistake on the date, and I showed up one day early. Mea Culpa. I supposed I deserved SOME kind of penalty. It was early in the day. They had several rooms free but refused to switch my booking or offer me a refund of even one kip. The nice receptionist called the owner and he said not his problem. He even refused to give me a discount of any kind if I booked for that night. They were booked solid for the next night (or so they said) so it made no sense not to re list my room. Also, when I tried to get to get online to straighten it out, the wifi was completely useless. There are MANY MANY other small places nearby and I had no problem booking a nicer room for the same money. AVOID THIS PLACE! I stayed at Lao Silk Hotel around the corner- much nicer ambiance, nicer views, and a lovely staff.

3  Thank KhunKru
iHouse, Owner at iHouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Hi, if you can Read? Please revise your booking cancellation conditions , to remind you the reference below, we were being very kind to you, and what you are doing now, I am sure karma...will bring you what you wish for us.

Cancellation and Change Policy:
Any cancellation received within 7 day/s prior to arrival will incur the first 1 night/s charge. Any cancellation received within 3 day/s prior to arrival will incur the full period charge. Failure to arrive at your hotel will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Hotel policy).

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks on business and ended up moving to another guesthouse. The rooms are nice, although hard beds. But there's aircon and a nice tv. I never was able to have breakfast because I left earlier than the times and its only a bagette (unfortunately I have Coeliacs) so I had to always eat out for breakfast. Its a nice central location, walking distance everywhere. BUT my problems were; the wifi. Several times I had to request them to restart it because it was just cutting out and it was met with a laugh and ok then. The staff are really nice but seem more interested in playing and listening to music than attending to the guests. And when the rooms are cleaned, sometimes its not completed properly, like toilet paper is not there. My other problem was the rooms have no windows. Its alot of money for a place with no windows and I wasnt quite aware of that before arriving. I didnt book any tours through them, due to already seeing most of Lao on a previous trip, but there are alot of bad reviews from what I have seen,
I think that its a nice place but there is alot of room for improvements. I felt very safe here during my stay but seemed to always be going out just to get some air and sunshine. Personally, I think there are better guesthouses in the area and better value for money too

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I articulated very well to the staff that I was booking in for the first night, leaving on the second, and coming back on the third and forth night as I would stay at a national park on the second night. Goodness, common sense DID NOT prevail for them not to charge me for the night I didn't stay there. They charged me for 4 nights even though I stayed for 3. They complained to me that I didn't make it clear when I did. In any case, they acted in a VERY UNDERHANDED way - they didn't care about the reality of the situation, for they only ACTED FIRST AND FOREMOST, to rake in as much money as they could possible from their customer. They did not listen to their customer carefully it's worse than talking to a brick wall, that's what frustrates.

Apart from that, they DO OVERCHARGE for the quality of room they have and do not state clearly anywhere that you could be staying in a WINDOWLESS room. Another UNDERHANDED tactic highlighted here. Quoting prices as high as 53USD for a room without a window and feigning value-for-money by bringing it down by half on the website, REALLY DOES NOT IMPRESS. For only a few steps away, good quality hotels quoting reasonable prices do exist. So show a bit of honesty and humility here!

If they continue this way, I will never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Grace L
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Ms. Grace,

Thank you for your complaint. Please revise back since I personally think you are just trying to unload your bad experiences on ihouse, that we actually give you very good discount, and free upgrade and still now you owe us a dollars because you refuse to paid. We remember not to let you in iHouse ever again.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Interesting, I'm glad I didn't read a couple of the reviews before I checked in or I never would have stayed....for good reasons it seems. So, this is only my experience. I have walked past iHouse many times during my business visits to Vientiane. It is close to my work so I decided to check it out for a week. My experiences with the staff were always very positive and friendly. I don't think I ever met the manager and was not interested in day trips. I did see older Western men staying there, but nothing untoward and honestly it's not my business. I liked the room itself. The bed was quite large, nice TV. The mini-fridge under the TV did not work, nor was water provided which is a little unusual...you often get at least two free bottles a day. I think I was paying about $27-29 per night. There was not real place for me to work on my computer which was okay, the bed was fine....and the wifi did work. The one major surprise for me is that the bathroom was incredibly small and I thought I had a small bathroom at home. There was also no toilet paper provided. The aircon worked just fine. The front door does close at midnight and often even before that the guy was sleeping, but he always jumped right up to let me in. I've asked them to hold a bag for me until I come to Vientiane the next time and that was not a problem, so will have to see if it is still there.

Room Tip: If the bathroom size matters to you, then definitely check out which room you are getting first!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mowgli415
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vientiane
New Lao Silk Hotel
#12 of 200 in Vientiane
No photo provided
Pathoum Phone Guesthouse
#101 of 153 in Luang Prabang

Been to iHouse? Share your experiences!