“good cafe”

Ranked #2 of 26 Coffee & Tea in Vientiane
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A haven in downtown Vientiane that provides a welcoming environment and spaces for business meetings, relaxation and families; a variety of fantastic fresh food; great organic, fair trade coffee and sensational shakes, juices and desserts all made in our onsite kitchen and bakery.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

after a long ride from 4000 islands to only stop off for 2 hours in Vientiane this was around the corner it was great for coffee and a morning breakfast sandwhich. when i came back down laos it was the first place i hit for the morning.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Being a frequent coffee drinker, I will often try out new places and compare only the Cafe Latte. I have been told to check out CommonGrounds on my next visit to VTE and it did not disappoint on the coffee scale. Just a short walk from my hotel on a quiet street (Chou Anou St) in VTE's Chinatown is this unassuming cafe and bakery. Their Latte was bitterly powerful served in a smaller cup than the usual tall glass ones in big name global coffee chains. It certainly tasted authentic Lao, small but strong with thick nutty coffee aftertaste that wasn't sour. To help soften the palate, they serve a small chilled glass of water to help you wash it down. Needing something sweet, I ordered an apple pie scone. I didn't ask where they got the apples from but the filling wasn't as sweet as I thought and the scone pastry crust was not exactly crumbly. Their menu range seemed very extensive and even had oven fresh Lasagna which smelled good from my neighbour's table. They also have salads and wraps, and a range of fresh mixed juices and creamy chocolate ice cream (VTE is hot during the day) - enough to make a complete meal and watch your kids play in the small playground out back. A great cafe to type away on your laptop or for families to meet.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We loved the food choices & the desserts were amazing! The staff were great. The cafe was clean, nicely decorated & offered free wifi. The play area for children was an added bonus. It was our favourite place to eat by far with the best prices in town! The burrito was the best I've had & came with sour cream & home made salsa - so good. I loved the mango & strawberry smoothies & the cheese cakes, well you'll just need to try one to know how good they are!!! We'd go back for sure!!

Eric S, Manager at Common Grounds Cafe and Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thanks for your high praise. We were happy to have you. We try really hard to offer the best prices with great service. I hope that you will come back soon, there's always something new brewing for the near future here at Common Grounds.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The food here is good but very 'same-ish'... wraps, sandwiches, salads and that's pretty much it. They have some muffins and cakes too, but this is mostly a 'quick lunch' type of place.

Eric S, Manager at Common Grounds Cafe and Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for your review. As Common Grounds has grown in popularity we have done our best to counteract the noise issues that come with being filled to capacity. While we're happy so many people are enjoying our cafe we understand that's not an environment everyone enjoys. Our regulars like to come early and order from our breakfast menu or come just after lunch and relax as long at they like reading or using Wifi.

I would also like to invite you back to try something off of the Mexican portion of the menu, including enchiladas, quesadillas and nachos. Or try our "House Specials" like Lasagna, Felafel, or a Loaded Baked- Potato. We also boast all homemade desserts and pastries as well as a large selection of hot and cold beverages from Lattes to Ice cream Storms to Fresh-Squeezed Juices. We do our best to offer a wide variety of options, many of which cannot be found anywhere else in the city or country. Hope to see you again soon.

Eric S. Chef, Production Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Didn't try the food, but it looked great. Went here for coffee 2 days in a row. I found the chairs very uncomfortable, my wife didn't have any problems with them and thought I was crazy. Cute little play area for kids in the back. Solid Wifi connection.