“A great introduction to the Laab”
Review of Lao Kitchen

Lao Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 408 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Opposite the KP Hotel near the National Cultural Hall. Open from 11am to 10pm everyday.
rmd73
“A great introduction to the Laab”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Called in here the other evening and couldn't decide what to have, so I asked the waitress for some advice.

She recommended the house speciality of the chicken laab with gluttonous rice. She asked me if I liked spicy food, and, as I do, we agreed to spice it up a bit from the 1 chilli symbol on the menu to 2 chillies (the max on the menu is 3 chillies, she reckoned she could do 10!).

The laab was fantastic - tangy, refreshing, full of fresh herbs and exactly what I needed on a hot, humid night, but wow - it did nearly blow my head off! We agreed I should probably stick to just the chilli next time!

Great range of traditional Laotian food, good prices, with friendly and helpful staff.

• Visited July 2012

Winchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Laos food”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had a great meal here after reading all the good reviews. The food is fantastic and although slightly more than other places in the town it is well worth it. The duck laab and the beef curry were fantastic. Great sticky rice and make sure you get a sauce as an additional side. We also had the riverweed which although sounding slightly suspect was really tasty to start. We had a lot of food and enjoyed every bit for a total of 130,000 kip, a bargain in my eyes. Staff were attentive, service is good and the place was busy on a Sunday night. Great find and if only we had more time we would go back! Well recommended

1 Thank Robkerr26
Newcastle, Australia
“Fresh flavours, good service.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I had lunch here on our last day in Laos. It was the most memorable meal we had. Duck Larb was delicious as was the Herb "Phan Miang" which is mix of chopped lemongrass, shallots, ginger, chilli and celery leaves, dried fish and peanuts which you wrapped in wild betel leaves. We also enjoyed the fresh spring rolls and the "Heavenly sun dried beef". We shared a sticky rice with mango for dessert. With a beer and a refreshing mint and lemon drink the entire meal cost us less than $20. Not the cheapest meal we ate but by far the most superior.

1 Thank yarrabee220
Vientiane, Laos
“Great introduction to food in Vientiane”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I was first taken to Lao Kitchen as part of my resident-to-be tour of Vientiane.
The location and open plan of the restaurant immediately presents a relaxed and perfect street experince of Vientiane.
The various fruit flavoured freeze drinks (or beerlao) are a refreshing accompanyment to the generous list of delicious (saep lai) food on offer which is always presented promptly and looks wonderful on the plate.
Staff are quick to welcome you and take drink orders to initiate your experience. They are the kind of staff who simply do the job of taking orders, bring it to you in good time and leave you to enjoy.
We have dined here as a family and with friends multiple times since my first taste. A gem of a place to eat and chill.

Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely Laos food”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Went here twice. The food - especially the laap - is great. Full of fresh herbs and delicate flavour. Service is slow but they take their food seriously here.

• Visited July 2012