“Great country”
Review of Lao Experiences

Lao Experiences
Ranked #12 of 77 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Owner description: Lao Experiences offers Lao cooking and culture in Nook's garden by the Mekong River. Learn about ingredients you will use to create your Lao lunch. Make a variety of popular Lao dishes using traditional implements and techniques. Learn secrets of making perfect sticky rice. Meet at The Full Moon Cafe at 8:00am for our Fresh Market Tour & Tasting, 10am for our Lao Cooking Course. Book and pay at The Full Moon Cafe (Rue Francois Ngin) Riverside Precinct the previous day.
Manchester, United Kingdom
314 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Great country”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I hope it will not lose its charm with the new airports and visitors. The people are friendly and helpful. There are so many places to vist. The food is varied and there is something for everyone. Market are very cheap for sovenirs but do haggle it is a way pf life. Do tip waiter even if only a litte. the service is usually excellent

Visited February 2013

• Thai first
Macedonia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lovely Day's experience”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Three of us attended this lovely day. We were met at The Full Moon cafe and taken to the house on The Meekong. Great setting. Some went to the market first we just had the cooking class. Nook our Laos demonstrator was so welcoming and speaks very good English for us folks that have not learned Laos. Great food shown how to prepare and cook and we ate the fruits of our labour for lunch. 4 hours of great interest and with not a lot to do in Vientiane a lovely way to spend your day.

Visited February 2013
Holstebro, Denmark
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The best food we had!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We did this cookery-class on our first day in Laos - and we weren't quite sure, whether it would turn out to be a bad idea. After all we hadn't seen any of the country, let alone tasted any of their food, at that point!
But it turned out to be probably the best experience, we had in Vientiane - and by far the best food, we had too!
The female chef is a wonderful, talkative person with big smiles, good explanations and a great sense of humor. The stroll aorund the local market with her was SO good, educating and at the same time fun, and we took about a million photos.
The cookeryclass itself was held in a lovely outdoor kitchen close to a garden - and the Mekong River. We were three danes (me and my friends) and a family from Tasmania, so the teaching was very intense - not like cookery-classes I have attended before, where there can be 15 to 25 guests trying to understand the teacher and cook accordingly.
We loved everything about this Vientiane-experience and can warmly recommend it to others. But do believe the chef, when she says, that the lao-chilies are hot!!! :-)

Visited January 2013
2 Thank mettegrith
Islamabad
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Love Laos!!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Laos is one of my favorite countries in the region and I always visit Laos during my visit to South East Asia. The main reason I like Laos is its peace and calmness. People are very friendly, simple, helpful and welcoming. You will almost always receive positive assistance from the locals if you ask so. The other good thing is helpful government officials. Unlike other countries in the region, the government officials e.g. Police etc. will help you in a friendly manner should there is a need! Accommodation and travel costs are cheaper there. The number of tourists is increasing day by day and this has started an increase in prices though you can still find good deals! I would like to visit Laos again and again!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Chaika707
Daegu, South Korea
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“As the name suggestes, a Lao Experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having traveled Laos for only a few days in some rather touristy areas, I began to wonder what Lao food really was. Many things on the menus I had already seen on menus in Thailand and even Cambodia so I wasn't sure what was actually Lao. I decided to let that slide and patiently wait until my cooking class where I knew we'd be cooking authentic dishes.

After searching for the Full Moon Cafe on Google Maps and it leading us to a completely different neighborhood, we found the place near all the other eateries near the Mekong. They take both USD ($35) and kip. I read somewhere that they stop taking reservations by 5pm on the previous day but Nook, the cooking instructor, told us they accept reservations until 9pm on the previous day. Regardless, we arrived after 5pm and they were still willing to take our reservation.

On the day of the cooking class, we met at the Full Moon Cafe and took about a 20 minute tuk tuk ride to a beautiful home that overlooked the river. There we were greeted by Nook. The cooking and preparation is done on patio of the home which was very clean. There are sinks to wash your hands and everything is well set up. My friend and I were fortunate enough to be the only students for the day so we had our own private class. We made mok pa (fish and seasonings steamed in banana leaf), chicken laap (chicken salad), papaya salad, choice of dip (egg plant and/or mushroom or tomato) and last but not least, mango sticky rice. Nook was very patient and a very good teacher. She was very cautious to remind us not to rub our eyes after touching the fiery hot chilies, offering help if we seemed a bit challenged and was very thorough with her lesson. She showed us how to gracefully toss sticky rice and everything we cooked was over charcoal for the Lao experience.

One of my favorite things to do is take cooking classes while traveling and the one thing I admire about Southeast Asian food is the preparation that goes in to every dish. Not a lot of salt is required to make the food taste great since there are so many herbs being used which I really liked.

The yard in which we cook has many mosquitos but Lao Experiences offers some mosquito repellent which Nook was very good about making sure that we spray ourselves away from the food so that we don't get sick.

After the food preparation, we ate in the beautiful garden. Nook was right when she said that flies love mok pa because they coudln't seem to leave us alone while we still had it on our plates. As soon as the mok pa was finished, the flies seemed to have disappeared. There were some giant ants who also dined with us in the garden which wasn't too bothersome to me but to those who hate insects, it might not be such an enjoyable experience.

Nook is a very friendly and warm person and does a great job teaching the class. You can tell she has a passion for cooking and her cooking skills that she learned from home are very efficient so it was nice for her to share that with us. She prefaces that her English was learned through speaking but I had a fine time understanding her. If she doesn't know the exact expression, she openly asks us how to say it and truely wants to learn so that she can continue using these expressions for future students. Nook also shares stories about her family which makes you feel very comfortable and makes it easy to learn.

Nook and Morven, thank you for the experience! You have a great thing going!

Visited January 2013