“An absolute must do for a real Lao experience.”
Review of Lao Experiences

Lao Experiences
Ranked #13 of 78 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Owner description: Lao Experiences offers Lao cooking and culture in Nook's garden by the Mekong River. Learn about ingredients you will use to create your Lao lunch. Make a variety of popular Lao dishes using traditional implements and techniques. Learn secrets of making perfect sticky rice. Meet at The Full Moon Cafe at 8:00am for our Fresh Market Tour & Tasting, 10am for our Lao Cooking Course. Book and pay at The Full Moon Cafe (Rue Francois Ngin) Riverside Precinct the previous day.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The elegant Ms Nook met us took us up the the main food market and we were blown away by the colour and fantastic variety of produce. She explained, in detail some of the finer points of Lao life and its close relationship with good, fresh food, I've never seen so many types of rice alone.

Rule #1 - go and do this. Rule #2 - don't have breakfast before you go!

Trip then heads to a wonderful family run cafe, out of the tourist routes for Lao coffee and Sticky rice pancakes with mango.

You then go to a gorgeous house on the Mekong where Ms Nook and her team teach you to cook Mok Pa, Sticky Li (rice), dips, papaya salad, great Larb and then rice pudding with Mango, You then lunch on your creations before heading back to Vientiane.

Could not have been more delighted with the whole trip 10 out of 10.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really enjoyed my cookingclass today and i learned alot! The people are very qualified, great cooks and so friendly! Their english is good. They let you cook on your own, showing every step properly at the same time you're doing it. I feel ready to do the recipies back home. They also explain you what you may change and how you may do it back home when you don't have the same ingredients. You learn about lao culture, the cookingequipment is new, traditional and clean and they even show you how the locals eat :) The place by the mekongriver is most beautiful and you cook and eat in the shadow. I really recommend this cookingclass - it is totally worth it! They always have small groups and the results were amazing delicious! Enjoy!

1  Thank Liviatravels
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Having visited Lao several times I really didn't feel comfortable-a language and cultural difference I think
The Lao experience hosted by the wonderful Nook help make my last visit a turning point and I now feel I am understanding the country and the people a lot better
Can't wait to go back
Lao food is now on my Australian menu

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I did this cooking class along with a trip to the food market before our cooking class began. Our guide and cooking instructor was Nook and she was a lot of fun and an excellent instructor in all things with Lao food. At the market we saw many different fruit and vegetables and other foods and we did not know there were so many different types of sticky and normal grains of rice. The freshly prepared coconut milk was delicious. The cooking class was held in the garden of the home of the director of Lao Experiences and it was situated on the banks of the Mekong River.

Nook explained what we were going to make, explained our ingredients and helpes us to prepare all the goodies that went into our dishes. We made a fish mok steamed in banana leaves, an eggplant/tomato/mushroom dip and a green curry beef, Nook showed us how to prepare and cook sticky rice, papaya salad and a chicken larp. And to finish off, we made a mango sticky rice dessert. Lunch was then savoured under the shade of the trees.

Nook was a funny and very experienced chef and everyone learned so much that day. Lao food is all about using fresh ingredients and we enjoyed making our own chilli pastes and preparing things in the mortar and pestle.

Nook prepared all the food for Luke Nguyen in his latest DVD, Mekong 2 featuring Lao cooking from various areas. A very talented lady.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nook's cooking class was the highlight of our visit to Vientiane. The class takes place in the garden of a beautiful home on the Mekong River and offers a fascinating insight into Lao cuisine and culture.
The food in Laos is a delicious surprise. Fresh fish, lemongrass, chilli and coriander are all prominent and this experience let's you see how they are combined for mouthwatering effect. The surroundings are beautiful, the ingredients fresh and Nook is a great teacher. If you're in Vientiane, this is a must on your itinerary.