“The best restaurant in Vientiane”
Review of Kongkhao - CLOSED

Kongkhao
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Traditional Lao house set close to Mekong River. Leafy green eating & air-conditioned indoor eating. Children's room and outdoor play area. Lao fusion restaurant with Western-style brunch on weekends. Happy hour 6-9pm every Thursday, Jam Session every Friday from 8pm, Live Music Sunday afternoons from 2-5pm, gallery space upstairs.
rome, italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant in Vientiane”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We've been there because a friend of us suggested it and, even if it's a bit hard to find (it's at the very end of the street) it's really worth: excellent food (asian style), wonderful garden, warm atmosphere and cool owners, Darinka and Francesco. This italian couple decided to open kongkhao restaurant in 2010 and they're improving something every month: in july there was a jam session every thursday. They still don't have a website, but you can check what's new @ their blog http://kongkhao.blogspot.com/
We would definately come back!

Rome, Italy
“A garden to eat for”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Just back from Kongkhao restaurant. Food is very good together with the service. There is also a totally enjoyable garden whom I beleive during the day must be a real plus. The mango smoothies are excellent. I would definately come back.

Vientiane, Laos
“perfect ambiance and delicious food!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I live and work in Vientiane, and this is definitely one of my favorite places to spend an evening. The food is creative and delicious with lots of options for vegetarians, the garden is arguably the best in the entire city, the friendliest staff around, lots cool art inside, and great events (jam sessions, fashion shows, etc.) that bring excitement to a city that at times can be a bit too sleepy. The meals are a terrific value, with the prices just a step up from street/local food, but with quality and setting that rival the most expensive joints in town. A must, in my humble opinion. And be sure to try to the chef's eggplant, it'll make you slap yo mama!

Vientiane, Laos
“My favorite place in Vientiane”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I first went to this place a couple months ago, and decided to go back because the tofu laap is simply the best in town! As I went I discovered more and more amazing dishes, and I found that even though the food was my first attraction to the place, I went back also for the friendly staff, the beautiful garden, the lovely atmosphere and the fun parties. I celebrated my birthday last week and my friends organized a surprise birthday dinner for me at Kong Khao, it was a great success! The food was excellent, the music was great (it was on one of the open mic / jam session evenings) and some of the guys even got off stage to sing "Happy Birthday" when my cake was served. It was a great evening, one of many great evenings I have spent in Kong Khao!

London, United Kingdom
“fantastic”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I was there with my patner in june, lovely place really enjoyed dinner in the garden area.
Food is really Tasty and staff very friendly. i would recommend it.
I will def be back on my next trip.

Visited June 2011