“Great Experience”

Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women
Ranked #14 of 78 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre trains Lao women in weaving, natural dyes, sewing, tailoring and business administration. Beautiful handwoven silk items are made on the premises, along with other products in a range of Lao textiles. Visitors can see the weaving and natural dyes, as part of the every day working environment at the centre. There is a retail shop, where handmade items of excellent quality can be purchased at reasonable prices. For those interested in textiles, or looking for a fun hands-on experience, there is a range of workshops ranging from a half day, full day, to several days. You can learn about natural dyes, and different weaving techniques.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had attended half day tie-dying and weaving class. I enjoyed very much. The products they sell at the small store are original products and very reasonably priced. There was street paving going on the front and the driver had to go back raod, which was really rough, but oh well, it's a bit rural area and can not be avoided. It should be done by now. I highly recommend this acitivy to all.

There are newer reviews for Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Very nice place to visit, in a rural setting. Many women are weaving here, they will give you a tour and you can take weaving or dying classes. The shop sells beautiful products for reasonable prices, well worth a visit,

1  Thank grietje1961
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I went to do the scarf dyeing class and called the day before to arrange it. They will pick you up from true colors - a small store in town and drive you to the center. The day I went I was the only person taking the class so it was good to have one on one instruction. Although it's not difficult to do. It's very interesting to see the people at work here, you get to design your scarf and then help dye it. You can also learn to weave here as well. I enjoyed it and came home with two scarves that I was quite pleased with! All I would say about the weaving is if you were on your own it may not be as enjoyable as you will be in a room where the other ladies are weaving, but it's pretty quiet. If you go with a friend or on a group it may be more fun.
I was shown around the center and it was informative and educational. For the trip I paid 230,000 kip and that included transport.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I spent a full day weaving and tie dying at the Centre. The women were extremely friendly, though most of the day I was left alone in a weaving room. If the ladies were in the room, they often talked amongst themselves. To be fair though, there was only so much to say. It was a good opportunity to chat with local women, which can be difficult to do outside of the hospitality setting. During lunch the woman who ran the Centre came and had lunch with me and she was incredible! Offered all sorts of local fruits and spoke very good English. Overall a nice activity and one of my favorite days in Vientiane, though probably best for a half-day.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I spent three hours here and really enjoyed it.
You have the option of a half day, a full day, or you can choose to do an hour of weaving or an hour or two hours of dying (where you get one or two scarves).
I did both dying and weaving and came away with a beautiful blue dyed silk scarf and a small square of weaving.
The staff are lovely and it's a really relaxed peaceful atmosphere. My partner and I were the only tourists there which was nice, and the ladies said only a few tourists come through each day.
The shop also had some really high quality, beautiful pieces, at reasonable rates and absolutely no pressure to buy.
Overall I would really recomend this place if you want to give weaving or dying a try and to see how these processes work.

1  Thank Jockey D
MoonTokyo, オーナー at Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you to visit our Training Center . I'm very glad to know that you had enjoyed the deying and weaving trial .
I hope to be able to receive you again at you next trip to Vientiane .
From Houeyhong Working Training Center